Chelsea Ships Bell Clock Repair Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Chelsea Ships Bell Clock Repair Question

Post by John Stone »

I am looking for some help. My faithful Chelsea Ships Bell Clock has finally bit the dust. I have had it for 42 years. It was on our family boat when I was a kid. So, I have had it and the matching barometer for a long time. It means a lot to me to have such an important part of my sailing childhood on the Far Reach.

I had a little trouble with it once before and I was able to get it running like the fine time piece it is. But, the current problem is beyond my skill set.

Here is the rub. I have done a little research and while the Chelsea Clock Company still exists, and while it appears they will repair their clocks, the reviews are not great. Shockingly expensive. Difficult to deal with. Etc. I have no first hand knowledge of their customer support.

So I am asking two things:
1. Has anyone had any dealings with the Chelsea Clock Company regarding a repair and how was it?

2. Does anyone know of a reputable Clock Repair shop you’d trust to work on a valuable time piece?

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Chelsea Ships Bell Clock Repair Question

Post by Jim Walsh »

I also have a Chelsea ship's bell clock and barometer. I bought them both second hand. Being proactive I brought it to Yankee Clock Peddler in North Haven, Ct. 203-288-4250. I figured a stocking dealer was my best bet of getting an honest opinion of my private party purchase. He looked it over, said it was in fine shape and, when I inquired about a cleaning or oiling, exposed the guts and told me it was totally unnecessary and he would be stealing my money if he touched it.
I asked what I owed him for his time and expert opinion and he said that he would be happy to do business with me in the future if I ever did have a problem and would love to sell me a clock in the future....
I would not hesitate to recommend this gentleman. My opinion is that he's as honest as they come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

John,

I have had good luck with Blackstone Manor Clock Repair in Hopkins, MN.

http://www.blackstonemanorclockrepair.com

They successfully did some work on my circa 1970 Airguide ship's bell clock. 42 years may be the life of the movement, especially if it was worked on previously by non clock repair personnel. If so, and Chelsea gives you a headache, I bet you could replace the movement with a German made Hermle 8 day ships bell clock movement for around $400-500. You'll be good to go for another 30 years. Just an option. I would try Jim's suggestion first as Chelsea still make their own movements I believe. It'd be a shame to change that up and I am sure it would reduce the value if you replace. The old Airguide now keeps excellent time BTW.
Paul
CDSOA Member
RC James

Post by RC James »

I'd be happy to vouch for a clockmaker in VirginiaBeach, Va by the name of Steve Long, doing business as THE TIME MACHINE.
He cleaned and refurbished a non-running 1890's wall clock for me 5 years ago (still running strong and timely), and currently has my late father's 1960-ish USNavy tribute clock (a 'Schatz' - which he says is not a 'great' clock, but repairable/ he admires Chelsea's for their accuracy and workmanship).
-He has about a 3-4 month backlog at present. Drop the clock off, call to remind him in 3 Months, and it's ready in an additional month. Any springs that are needed are replaced AT COST (read $5-$15) and has a flat rate that is very reasonable for clocks important to us.
-It's a 1 man shop--- a pleasure to walk into w/wall, mantel, and ship's clocks happily ticking away. He keeps the clocks for a few weeks to monitor their accuracy, and makes any adjustments needed.

It's nice to find a craftsman such as he, perhaps not unlike yourself, who takes old items and improves them.
Kindred spirits?
An aside, since I saw him last, he's on oxygen (too many years of smoking), but 4 months wait for a certified clockmaker isn't too bad. They are few and far between.
Details as follow:

THE TIME MACHINE
Clock repair and Restoration
STEPHEN LONG
4640 Haygood Rd./Virginia Beach,VA 23455
Member of the NAWCC

M-F 0930-1700
Sat 0930-1300
Cell 757-406-5210
Serving VA for over 37 years

RC/Kitty Hawk, NC Serenata 25D 1982
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

A word of caution concerning The Time Machine......never forget to remove the control lever and beware the Morlocks. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hahaha. I’m with ya on that one Jim. Don’t mess with the Morlocks!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Absolutely. I hear the Morlocks eat their own cousins! Good luck with the Chelsea. I took a long look at it on your photo. It is for sure a keeper. Beautiful clock.
Paul
CDSOA Member
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Paul D. wrote:It is for sure a keeper. Beautiful clock.
And even if you can't get it fixed... It'll be perfectly accurate twice a day... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I had a clock repaired at Chelsea about ten years back. No problems. Don’t recall being shocked at the price.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Joe
Though I don’t have a quote from them, I think the current rate for cleaning and oiling is about $800-$1000. That shocks me. Anyway, google Chelsea Cooks yelp. Interesting.

I may have found my clock repair service. A guy in Washington state. I’ll let the forum know what we do and how it turns out.

Best regards.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

John
My 2 cents.
As a clock collector with 4 Chelseas in my collection, have Chelsea fix it.
I can vouch for their work and quality. Their clocks today, well they're just trying to compete in the clock market.
I have 3 Ships Bell strikes from early 1900s and US Navy issue 1942 deck clock non striking in my collection. They all run great because they're maintained by Chelsea. They each go back every 5-6 years for cleaning and lube. I don't have repair experience on Chelsea. Others I will repair.
Clocks like cars don't do well sitting and not running. Well made clocks like anything else has to be maintained to keep them in top form. Bring them off the boat for the winter. Wind them fully every time and keep them running. An idle clock will gather more dust, the oil gets gummy faster and the gears will tarnish/rust/buildup film.
So to tear down that clock, clean in ultra sonic bath, force air dry, inspect the gears, brushings, pinions, arbors, shafts, escape, chime train... Now oil, adjust, test run the clock for a few days. Readjust the strike for that perfect sound and pitch, polish the case, touch up the dial and hands with paint as needed. Now pack the clock for shipping. That clock will look like new and run better than it ever has. That's close to 12 to 16 hours or more of time invested by that skilled crafts person.
Yes there's some bad reviews out there on the internet because haters will always hate.
I've had nothing but great experience with their repairs and service for the decades of using them. So have multitudes of proud Chelsea clock owners.
Think of what we pay for repairs and service with our boats and equipment?
You have a good set that is of a better quality than you can buy today. Keep them running for your kids memory and their kids too!
Good luck and please keep us posted.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

rjnale
Thanks. Very rational recommendation. I appreciate it. But $600-$800 for a clock cleaning is not in my budget. And it’s more if there is repair work—which I suspected their was. That’s money I could use elsewhere, like the 30” tall stanchions I am saving for or a new more robust whisker pole on my wish list.

Only two people have ever worked on my boat. The upholster who did fabulous work and was very reasonable and the certified Awlgrip painter that shot the top coat, which failed after 17 days of sailing to the West Indies. I spent two months sanding, priming, and repainting to correct the paint problem. Everything else during the rebuild we did ourselves. Not for everyone...no doubt about it. But it was the only way I could afford the boat I wanted and now have.

If I had a $1000 to spare I might have sent the clock to Chelsea for all the reasons you so clearly stated. But I don’t. Got two kids just graduated from HS bound for college. Making a few improvement to the Far Reach to get her ready for another trip back to the Windward/Leeward Islands this winter.

I found a clock repair shop not far from me. He spealizes in antique clocks and claims he has rebuilt lots of Chelsea’s. Says he has lots of genuine Chelsea parts. He said he charges half the price of Chelsea for a cleaning and wanted $450 to clean it but could not look at it for at least two months.

Last week I sent it off to Keith Sternberg (Lopez Island, Washington) after exchanging a dozen emails. He repairs Chelsea clocks among many other skills he has. He is also a sailor. Has several Chelseas in his personal collection, along with several antique chronometers, that run all the time. He says maintains all of them. Got his name from the Woodenboat Forum. Quoted me $200 for a cleaning and oiling and would start on it right away.

I had opened up my clock and could tell something was wrong with the balance wheel. The staff was not riding in the jewl hole properly. I shipped the clock off to Keith. He already contacted me and confirmed the problem with the balance wheel. He thinks it wore down from lack of oil. So he is getting the part now and says he will have it repaired soon.

Am I anxious about it? Yes. But it’s just a clock. It’s not the rig or rudder or the hull. I can maintain those myself. I have a good feeling about Sternberg. I guess I’ll know soon enough.

Did I make the right choice? I don’t know. I will know soon enough. I’ll let the forum know when all is said and done. Fingers crossed.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

John,

I bet I would have done the same thing, though it is a bit of a leap o' faith. I hope the clock repair guys does work out. That clock is a keeper, the Cape Dory of ship's bell clocks eh! I'm a bit crazy into horology right now, so let us know how she runs when you get her back. What have we got but time?
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Paul. And thank you to all who have provided input. Your recommendations carry weight and I value them even if I go a different way.

I’ll keep y’all posted how it goes.
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

John
You did well with finding Keith. He's a very well respected compass man and steam engine guy. Another hobby I have, steam engines and railroad stuff. Which the clock collection is funding!
Keith builds gorgeous model live steam locomotives that you ride on. He runs his equipment at the Great Northern & Cascade Railway in Skykomish WA regularly. I've seen pictures and articles about his models. I think he did some restoration work and writing on tug boats in the NW too.
He'll do a great job given the stuff I've seen he's built. Keep in touch with him every few years to clean and lube the clock and it should run for years. I'll second the comment, Chelsea is the Cape Dory of Ships Bell clocks!!
I understand were you're coming from and thank you for the reply.
I'm so glad youre getting it fixed by a quality person.
Please keep us updated on the clock and the boat!
Rick