Weather boot for Typhoon day sailer

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
sciottos

Weather boot for Typhoon day sailer

Post by sciottos »

Looking for a master 'weather boot' for a Typhoon day sailer...anyone know of a source of such parts? Just acquired hull #99. Also interested in an extra-long-shaft engine in the 4-horse range.

Thanks to all in advance.
Carl Thunberg

Re: Weather boot for Typhoon day sailer

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Okay, I give up. What's a weather boot? I really hope I'm not the only one who doesn't know.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

One guess would be something like a tonneau cover for a sports car? Something to reduce the large open are behind the mast...

Second would be a full cockpit cover.

Can ya tell I've never heard of either? :roll:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
sciottos

Post by sciottos »

In the day sailer Ty, there's a hole in the cuddy roof for the mast which - unlike the weekender - is 'keel stepped'. This means the mast protrudes from the keel, through the roof of the open cuddy of the day sailer all the way up.

A weather boot is a piece of rubber that form-fits around the mast and creates a weather-proof seal of the gap between the mast and the open-cuddy roof.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I don't understand the purpose of sealing around the mast . I have a boom tent that wraps the mast and keeps 95% of the water out of the cockpit.

Several years ago I had a Bullseye which has a similar keel stepped mast and cuddy. Bullseye's commonly used putty between the mast and the cuddy, but its purpose was to control vibration not preventing the passage of water. Like a Ty DS the Bullseye also had a boom tent that wrapped the mast and kept the non-self bailing cockpit dry.

In regard to the motor, I think that a long shaft is all you need if you have the conventional Spartan bracket. I have a Honda 2hp long shaft - if I stand on the bow with the engine running the prop will come out of the water, but the simple solution is not to stand on the bow with the engine running. While you will get a lot of opinions, I think that a 2hp is the perfect engine - light and powerful enough for anything you are likely to see.

Jeff
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

sciottos wrote:A weather boot is a piece of rubber that form-fits around the mast and creates a weather-proof seal of the gap between the mast and the open-cuddy roof.
Aha! What I know of well as a "mast boot" ... Google that and take your pick. :)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I have a Ty Daysailer and couldn't find a suitable mast boot.
So fashioned one out of neoprene material. Think wetsuit material.
Found an insulated wine bottle bag made out of it at Target a couple summers ago for $5.
Cut it apart and wrapped it around the mast near deck and slid it down thru deck hole with needle nose pliers. Used zip ties to hold in place. Then rolled the top over the zip tie (double thickness now) down to deck level. fasten another zip tie to hold flush with deck. Neat clean water tight seal. Also stopped the mast vibration in heavy wind.
Love the Daysailer!