About to buy a CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Goldsmith

About to buy a CD27

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I just had a 1980 CD 27 surveyed, hull #172. This boat needs a friend (me) but is in pretty good shape. Hull passed survey with flying colors. Standing rigging was replaced in '87 but looks brand new (maybe it was really '97). Original diesel was apparently replaced in '87 with a Yanmar 2GM 18hp. Surveyor said he's never seen a sailboat this age with such nice *looking* engine. Seems to run fine, as well, although the survey was done hauled so I still want to see the engine under load. Owner replaced 2 winches with Lewmars in 97. Harken Traveler in 97. Harken roller rig looks about 5-8 years old, as does the genny. Main looks like original vintage, although it appears the boat wasn't sailed much because the main seems in good shape for its age. Surveyor was concerned about some through-deck electrical fittings near the mast which were loose--leakage into head area. Apparently some rebedding of these fittings will be necessary. Fortunately the deck around the step was dry and solid, so this would appear to be a minor repair and not a structural problem yet. Exterior teak was sloppily varnished and is now peeling in many places. I plan to teach my son (8) to sail on this boat and would love to hear anyone's comments about (1) the boat, generally, (2) the deck leak--any suggestions? and (3) the teak--how to make it look great and a system to keep it so into the future. This is a great site with very thoughtful contributors. Thanks.

Bill Goldsmith

goldy@bestweb.net
Russ Cooper

Re: About to buy a CD27

Post by Russ Cooper »

I own a CD27 - hull #160 - and really enjoy the boat. She sails well and is easily handled by a shorthanded crew or singlehanded. Most people bring up the fact that CD27's are underpowered with the 7HP YSM-8 that they came with. But I've never heard of one being upgraded to an 18hp - is the engine space tight?

As for the deck leak, try to remove the thru-deck fittings completely to get a look at/poke at the core to make sure it's solid. If it is, just rebed the fittings. If it looks soft, time for epoxy work (West Systems has an easy to use expoxy repair manual for novices like me.) On the teak, lot of people including me use Cetol by Sikkens Marine - it somewhat alters the true color of the wood, but is very resiliant and easy to keep on top of. All the old flaking varnish has to come off regardless of what you do, so good luck.

russ_cooper@yahoo.com
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

The engine compartment is a little tight, but I have not seen a 27 with an 7hp to compare it with. During survey, the surveyor had to reach the oil dipstick through the opening created when the galley under-sink drawer was removed. That I will have to remember.

The core around the mast and the deck fittings tested intact and solid, so it seems that the fittings must have come loose recently, and the moisture was new. I'm going to check it out more thoroughly, however. Hopefully a rebedding job will be adequate.

Where do you sail/have you sailed your 27? Mine will be on lower Hudson River/NYC/LI Sound for the most part.
Russ Cooper wrote: I own a CD27 - hull #160 - and really enjoy the boat. She sails well and is easily handled by a shorthanded crew or singlehanded. Most people bring up the fact that CD27's are underpowered with the 7HP YSM-8 that they came with. But I've never heard of one being upgraded to an 18hp - is the engine space tight?

As for the deck leak, try to remove the thru-deck fittings completely to get a look at/poke at the core to make sure it's solid. If it is, just rebed the fittings. If it looks soft, time for epoxy work (West Systems has an easy to use expoxy repair manual for novices like me.) On the teak, lot of people including me use Cetol by Sikkens Marine - it somewhat alters the true color of the wood, but is very resiliant and easy to keep on top of. All the old flaking varnish has to come off regardless of what you do, so good luck.

goldy@bestweb.net
Bill Goldsmith

20th Anniversary

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

In March of this this year I had my 20th anniversary of my first post to this wonderful Board.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I have discovered that for an 8 year old, sometimes the most important addition is a swim ladder.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Bill,
If memory serves, you used to have a CD27 way back when. Didn't it have a teak bowsprit??

The 18hp Yanmar is a big engine but I remember that was the "preferred" upgrade until the Beta engine came on the scene. Nevertheless, that 18hp will come in handy and even though it's a tight fit in the engine compartment it sounds like it was a good installation.

Make sure you check around the rudder post in the cockpit. Many 27s seem to develop "soft spots" there that can make the cockpit sole feel like mush if it isn't corrected.

I loved my 1980 CD27. One great sailor and comfortable coastal cruiser. My boat was #166. It's gone now.

Enjoy teaching your son to sail on such a fabulous boat
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats Bill! The CD27 is a fine looking sailing vessel!
Your son is a very lucky young man! :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Sorry to confuse people. I replied to one of my first posts from 20 years ago to celebrate 20 years on the CD board. I now proudly sail my CD32.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
jneely

Post by jneely »

Good luck with your new boat. I have owned a 27 for 14 years and it has been a joy to sail. I frequently sail single handed and the boat is perfect for that. Yet it is big enough to comfortably cruise on. I have had the boat out in 40 knot winds (Not by plan.) and she got me home safely. My only regret is that I did not buy her forty years ago.