CD 26 vs. CD 27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

CD 26 vs. CD 27

Post by casampson »

Any thoughts? Which of these would be better for puttering around Buzzards Bay?

Thanks.
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD 26 vs. CD 27

Post by Carl Thunberg »

That's a little like asking which of your children you like best. I have had the pleasure of sailing on both, but have owned neither. You can't beat the simplicity of an outboard (CD26). Even if it dies, you can get a replacement in a day, and be back on the water. The CD27 has a reputation for sailing performance. The choice of one over the other is a matter of personal preference, and availability. It could boil down to what's available on the market at the time you're ready. There were 78 CD26's built versus 277 CD27's.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Northstar1014

Post by Northstar1014 »

Unless there is a really good deal on a 26, look for the 27. Its very well proportioned, (and more common) and personally I feel that the diesel is the right choice for me. Buzzards Bay is known for chop, for which the low prop position and torque of the diesel is well suited.

Your signature says Marion -- last Fall there was a 27 in great shape on the hard at Barden's Boatyard -- you might be able to track down the owner and check it out.
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
skipsmagic

Post by skipsmagic »

I just bought a 27 with a Westerbeke W13. I had to tear down the entire front of the engine and the front mounts to replace a $30.00 speed control lever that is backordered 2-3 weeks. So there is that.
It is not easy to find mechanics to work on these small diesels and you have to be mechanical to own them.

Just my two cents as a new owner.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Slainte, our 27 has the Yanmar YSM8 and has only ever required annual oil changes, impeller change, and fuel filter. It has been absolutely trouble free. It starts first time every time, even when we bought her and the engine had not run for four years. The 27 is a wonderful boat.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

If it's a small sturdy boat that you can single hand easily it's hard to imagine how you can go wrong with any Cape Dory 22 thru 28. I'd look at the available inventory and buy the best boat you can find that fits your budget. I'd rather have a 25 D in fine condition, than a trashed 27 ... even though I have a 27. I think that's the way to think about it.

Good luck

Fred.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I had a 1980 CD27 for 15 years. Absolutely a TERRIFIC boat (and pretty to look at!) My boat had the YSM8 engine and while I agree that it was a rock solid VERY dependable engine, I did find it somewhat underpowered for a 7500 pound modified full keel boat in instances when going against the tide and wind. Certainly not all the time but often enough to sometimes slow speed down to a crawl. Cape Dory itself came to the same conclusion as the later CD27s were equipped with the larger Westerbeke 13hp engines instead of the 8 hp YSM engines. Many CD27 owners went ahead and repowerd their boats with various brands of larger engines. Some especially liked the Beta engine..

So, if you can find a CD27 with a larger engine (CD installed Westerbeke or owner install larger engine) that's a boat to be very interested in, assuming the rest of the boat is in good shape.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
skipsmagic

Post by skipsmagic »

It wasn't my intention to speak ill of the 27. I just bought one and am in love. Unfortunately mine sat out of the water unused for thirteen years and the governor lever froze where it goes through the gearcase cover. The engine ran great but then broke my throttle cable when I tried to add rpms. I then realized the lever was stuck and broke off in my hand in the process of trying to free it. I spoke with two yards and a Westerbeke dealer who showed no interest in wanting to work on it, "too old, don't like working on sailboats". I wasn't looking for a favor I was prepared to pay full yard labor. So my next step was to invest in some good tools do lots of research and do it myself. Currently I have the entire front of the engine off, all parts are separated and will be cleaned and painted, I am also replacing gaskets, seals and anything that looks suspect. I have probably about 12-15 hours into it and another 8-10 more to go. It should be a great runner when I am done. I really look forward to sailing this year and getting out of the bilge.
I am now learning that maintenance and preventive maintenance on a boat are everything and that the value and worth of them is in direct correlation with the care and maintenance they have received.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks for all of your comments. There seems to be a lot of CD 27 fans out there. I am going to look at a couple of boats in the next few weeks and see which I prefer. My gut feeling is that it will be the 26, although I think it really will boil down to getting the most boat for the money, as one poster suggested. Another key factor is whether I want an inboard diesel or an outboard in a well. I am also interested in a Stone Horse 23, by the way. I'd go for a Typhoon Senior, because that's really the size boat I want, but they seem to be very expensive. Thanks again for your input.
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

There is no way i would pick an outboard over a diesel inboard. The diesel is so efficient vs a gas powered outboard. For example, I believe I burned 5 gallons all season last year. So dependable. In buzzards bay, when the wind starts honking in the afternoon and you ned to motor into a chop, I can imagine that outboards prop coming out of the water as you go over a large wave. The CD27 is a luxury yacht compared to a stone horse.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks, this is a very helpful post. I have found an old CD 27 at a fair price that just might do. That said, I wonder if anyone has an opinion on the CD 25. There are lots available at reasonable prices. I've been told by someone who knows Cape Dory boats very well that the 25 is not very seaworthy, at least as compared to the 26 and 27. If you have an opinion on this, please share it. Thank you!
steveg

Post by steveg »

The 25 is not the same as the 25D. If you search here there is a picture of the two boats side by side on trailers.

The 25 is seaworthy, but much less comfortable to stay on due to the limited headroom. I thought it sailed better than the 25D. That said the 25D is much preferred due to it's interior size. It is about 1,000 pounds heavier. If memory is firing on all cylinders, about 180 25D's were built while something over 700 25's were built. Consequently, the 25 is more available and less expensive.

As always this is just one man's opinion and worth the price paid for it.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

If the objective is just hacking around Buzzards Bay the CD 25 will suffice, for sure and be a cheap option. It is a nice boat. If you are considering cruising, even mini-cruising (to the Vinyard or Cuttyhunk, etc) a 25D or 27 is the ticket. The additional displacement is very helpful in windy conditions on BB. The mechanics at Mattapoisett Boat Yard are very experienced with small diesels - they have taken care of mine since 2001.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
casampson

Post by casampson »

The more I look at it, the more I like the CD 25. I like the looks, the size, and the price. Several nice ones in my area for about $5,000. As a bonus, I wouldn't have to upgrade to a helical mooring as it the LOA is just under 25 feet. Other than offering a well for the outboard and being able to sleep four rather than two uncomfortably, are there any compelling reasons for upgrading from a Typhoon to a CD 25? Which boat is better in a stiff wind?

Thanks!
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

there is no standing headroom in a CD25 as opposed to a 27. The way I see it- Typhoon = daysailer. CD25 =overnighter. CD27= week long pocket cruiser.