Replacing Hiller Range with Origo 6000

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Replacing Hiller Range with Origo 6000

Post by Bruce Bett »

It's time to replace the cook stove on Malinche my CD 30. I've been using a two burner Hiller Range with oven. Reading the archives I find posts from sailors who have installed the 6000 on CD 33s. I'm not sure what stoves they were replacing. I'm under the impression that a lot of CDs shipped with Hiller Range stoves but were they the 2 burner like mine or the 3 burner which are a bit bigger. In any case I would like to hear from anyone who has installed an Origo 6000 with oven on a CD 30 or has replaced a 2 burner Hiller Range with a 6000. My main question is can I still get the removable counter top over the stove once it's installed.

Thanks
Bruce
jen1722terry

Re: Replacing Hiller Range with Origo 6000

Post by jen1722terry »

Hi Bruce,

We have a 31 and replaced the old pressurized alcohol stove with and Origo 6000 as soon as we could afford it. It works great, and the heating time is not all that much slower than propane. Two good burners and the oven heats well and is roomy enough for most purposes. Great product and it seems to be very popular.

I'd be surprised if there were not some 30s out there with the 6000. I do note that the 6000 seemed to be a bit hard to get last year with many backorders. Maybe order sooner rather than later

Best of luck with the install.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Re: Replacing Hiller Range with Origo 6000

Post by CruiseAlong »

I replaced the Hiller with the 6000 on my CD31. Fit well and functions well. Removable top does close with adequate room. Actually I had to block out from side walls to the gimbal of the 6000 so there is plenty of side room (~1-1/2 inches) and gimbal room.
Dana