crew positions filled, thanks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

crew positions filled, thanks

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks for looking!

THE VOYAGE: departing May 15
We are sailing our Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner "Moonbeam" from Jacksonville, Fl to Rochester, NY via the Canadian Maritimes, St. Lawrence River and the Thousand Islands, a several thousand mile plus voyage. Leaving late May. I can't begin to tell you of the beauty you will see on this voyage. Even with our endangered oceans you will see, up close a lot of sea life. The Gulf of St. Lawrence is famed for the gathering of whales, dolphins, seals, seabirds. it is a voyage you will never forget.

THE VESSEL:
"Moonbeam" (MB)was custom built by world class Fraser Yachts in Cape Town, South Africa in 1998. Since acquiring her we have done a major refit replacing all critical components. She has a recent SAMS survey with no restrictions. We carry a full complement of safety gear from a life raft to harness lights and everything in-between including an EPRIB and sat communications.
"MB" is very sea kindly and under the right conditions, very fast.
Down below she is fitted out like an old time Pullman car and the workmanship is museum quality.

OPERATIONS:
while underway there will be around the clock watch standing, sail tending and navigation, hence we are seeking experienced crew. "MB" drives really well and everything is brought back to the cockpit for easy sail tending. We usually run a 4 hour on/8 hr off watch schedule with three crewmembers. if we have four crew the watch schedule will be adjusted.

COSTS:
This is a shared cost voyage, depending on how many crew are onboard, we equally split the consumables, fuel and dockage (I don't usually dock, preferring to anchor)equally.
In addition, Crew is responsible for their travel expenses, onshore lodging and per diem expenses.

CREW:
Crew will need a passport (note: if you have ever had a DUI or have a criminal record and have not obtained a certificate of rehabilitation from Canadian Customs and Immigration department, please don't apply. Canadian Immigration will remove you from the boat immediately and send you packing straight out of the country, at your expense) to enter and transit Canada.
Crew will need proof of health insurance, no shot records are required.
Crew will need to bring layered clothing that will suffice from warm FL to the much cooler maritimes.
Soft luggage only, there is no extra room for hard luggage.

ACCOMODIATIONS:
"MB" has two staterooms available, one double and one single.
We anticipate a three week voyage with potential calling ports, Province Town, MA,-Canso, NS-Montreal, Que., of course weather will have a big factor in how we proceed, especially if we are driven in by weather or need of supplies.
We will be using Chris Parker's weather routing service to make the best of the Gulf Stream and favorable weather.
I have been sailing for over 50 years and have had many Cape Dorians from this board join me aboard "LaVida" our beloved CD33.
I ask for and provide sailing references.
BTW, this is my sixth trip through the maritimes and my 18th voyage up and down the East Coast.
if you have any questions or would like to be considered for the adventure, please PM me.
Thanks again for checking this out.
Fair Winds,
Mike
a.k.a. Captain Moonbeam
Last edited by mike ritenour on Apr 7th, '18, 11:10, edited 3 times in total.
Vincent

Re: Sailing Crew Wanted - Jax, Fl to Lake Ontario via NS & N

Post by Vincent »

Possibly interested, did I miss the intended dats for this excursion?
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Sorry, lv Jax late May.
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

ONE BERTH STILL AVAILABLE
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Let me know if you are interested in crew for individual legs of the trip.
mike ritenour

Re: Sailing Crew Wanted - crew positions now filled

Post by mike ritenour »

Thanks for everyone's interest.