Hull #13?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Skylark

Hull #13?

Post by Skylark »

I have been doing some research (oh no here we go). As I am selling Skylark and, searching for a larger boat as well. In this process, I have compiled spreadsheets for the CD36, CD40 and, CD45 (including the Robin Hood produced boats). Almost evert HIN can be found vessel registration records (USCG and Canada). However, CD36 #13, and CD40 #13 do not seem to exist.

Is it possible they were never produced? Like the many buildings that do not have a 13th floor.

Enjoy....
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Hull #13?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

As far as I know, Cape Dory never built a #13 for any of their models (bad luck you know).
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Dave Perry would know!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I may get some incoming flak for this but I am always amused by those who find the number 13 to be bad luck and "avoid" it at all cost.

When the hotel elevator does not have a "13th floor" button and your room in on the "14th floor" do people really not understand that their room is on the 13th floor regardless of what the pretty little numbers say :?: Really :?: "A plastic glued on number does not a floor make"; or something like that. :wink:

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but, regardless of the model number, and assuming Cathy M. is correct (she's got a 99.9% average) and Andy Vavolotis was as superstitious as most and did not technically label a hull with the number "13", then all those who possess a Cape Dory sailboat model with hull number "14" are actually sailing around on hull #"13". Blasphemy and profanity say I, blasphemy :!:

Now, if you will forgive me, I must move my ladder so that I do not walk under it; and make sure the black cat is nowhere near me so we won't cross paths; and I have to check for my rabbit's foot; and make sure I can find my baseball bat (a Louisville Slugger :!: ) so I can "knock wood". :D :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil