Sailmaker

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Vincent

Sailmaker

Post by Vincent »

Does anyone have a sailmaker they would recommend in Maryland? I live in Baltimore, Havre de Grace, Annapolis and I suppose the eastern shore are close. I need some repair to my main leech before spring, and then a new staysail and an asymmetrical are in the plans. I have a CD33. The folks in Annapolis are not real responsive unless you have a lot of work, or a Trumpian checkbook.
Bibster

Re: Sailmaker

Post by Bibster »

Try the folks over at Bacon Sails in Annapolis, 410-263-4880, 116 Legion Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21401. They can get most work done within two weeks, although it can take longer if they have a lot of work in the queue. Also, they have a huge selection of used sails, so you may be able to save a little money over the price of new sails. You can search their used inventory at baconsails.com. If you call, ask to speak with Gary.
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Would recommend John Jenkins (Jenkins Sails). John recently retired after 30+ years running sail loft at Naval Academy. He made me new main and 140% furling headsail. Happy with workmanship and price reasonable compared to larger lofts. 410-490-7570. I have no affiliation. Cheers!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thanks for both leads
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I use North Sails in Annapolis for most cleaning and repairs. The also have certified/approved sailmakers in the locations. When I was in NC I had Allison Sails in Wilmington clean my sails and make new sail covers.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

A little further to the south is Potomac Sailmakers. I've taken my sails in for cleaning and some minor repairs, they are reasonable and from my untrained eye, do good work.

Address: 5645 General Washington Dr # K, Alexandria, VA 22312
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
Phone: (703) 750-2171
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Try Meade Breese in Rock Hall!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thank you for the additional replies. I met John Jenkins and we discussed building an asymmetrical and staysail. I will probably have him start with the asym since I don’t even have the stay rigged yet for the staysail. I will try to post the results.
John is impressive. 41 years at the Naval Academy Sailing Center, he is a nice guy and actually responds to an email or a text.