Reverse-engineering a Ty D/S hull id #...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Alan Stewart

Reverse-engineering a Ty D/S hull id #...

Post by Alan Stewart »

I recently acquired a Typhoon Daysailer model “K” w/cuddly, that had been kept on Nantucket since 2007 or perhaps even earlier. The original hull #’s on the transom are no longer visible due to the hull having been painted more than once - the MA title lists the HIN as “MSZMT337H303”, an assigbned # by the Commonwealth of MA; This same title lists the age of the boat as 1974, which I believe was mistakenly derived from the builders plaque which gives a hull production # of “074”.
There is a molded-in production date (I assume), of “4-10-81” located on the stern deck just aft of the cockpit where the stbd. combing meets the rear teak arched piece at the back of the cockpit - I have not seen any similar #’s in this location on any other Ty’s...
SO, would it be safe to assume that the original HIN might have been CPDK074D81...? I’d like to reproduce the original HIN # in order to keep the boat as authentic as possible. Since HIN #’s are supposed to consist of 12 characters, any idea what the other 2 might be?
On another note, I’ve noticed that Cape Dory changed their builders plaque design at least twice over the years as I’ve got several (#378, 466, 481 for example, from early ‘70’s), that say “Alberg Typhoon” with an Oar Cape Dory logo and a West Bridgewater location, while the D/S “K” placque (1981?), changes to “Cape Dory Typhoon” w/“Cape Dory Yachts” full-keel logo and an East Taunton location. An even earlier Weekender version from the 60’s (#73), has a rectangular bronze builders plaque (predating the plastic oval one), that states: Albert (script) Typhoon built by Cape Dory, 373 Crescent St., West Bridgewater, MA. This older Typhoon has separate chainplate tangs that pass through the deck and attach to “knee”-like wooden brackets between the underdevk & hull, additionally there is a 2” bronze thru-hull mounted under the stern counter on the port side aft that connects to a long 2” hose running under the cockpit before passing thru a hole in the pan and ending in the bilge with a bronze strainer(?) on the end (I think). Am wondering if this may have been a bilge pump system at one time... (The std. cockpit drains are in place but w/o shut-off valves.)
Curiously, the day after purchasing the Nantucket Typhoon I happened to meet a guy that had built Cape Dorys in his youth at their location in Taunton, MA! I’ll see if I can look him up to help answer any future queries regarding Typhoons... Stay tuned.
Interlude

Re: Reverse-engineering a Ty D/S hull id #...

Post by Interlude »

I am very interested in any information your learn on early Alberg Typhoons and the transition from Naugus Fiberglass Industries to Cape Dory.

We recently restored an early Naugus Typhoon (#22 Daysailer, Circa 1964) - Prior to Cape Dory, Naugus built two models: a weekender and an open cockpit daysailer - both with Alberg's original fractional rig, unlike the newer Cape Dory daysailer with masthead rigs. Other than our daysailer, I only know of one another (#17), which is pictured in an Naugus advertisement. As you mentioned, the Naugus Typhoons have the rectangular Builders plate, the separated through deck chainplates, among other small variations. Cape Dory made a number of changes, I assume to support more mass production of the boats.
Mark Lay

INTERLUDE
Naugus Alberg Typhoon #22 (1964)
Irvington, Virginia
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I own a CD Typhoon D/S with the "cuddy" and forward storage locker.
She is hull number 0097 built in 1982 with HIN# CPDK0097M82K. She has the same manufacture date location you mention on the aft deck.
I hope this helps you with figuring out your number.
Rick
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Thanks Rick, That makes sense to me! I wonder what the 2nd “K” in your # refers to? If I add a 2nd zero before the hull production # on mine I get up to eleven spaces now: CPDK0074D81... just need to figure out that final letter now to be complete... Happy Holidays!