Gutting a CD 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Gutting a CD 25D?

Post by John Stone »

I have a few questions for the Cape Dory Ccomposite Brain Trust (CDCBT).

From the outside, can you tell the difference between the CD 25 and the 25D, e.g. looking at the silhouette? I know the 25D is a bigger boat, volumn and displacement, and the the rig is taller, but is there a distinctive feature about portlights or length of cabin trunk or pulpits, etc? Looking at the line drawings they look almost identical. I did not know that Mr Alberg did not design the 25 but did design the 25D. That’s interesting.

Did all the 25Ds have a hull liner?

Anyone ever totally gut a 25D to include cutting the liner out? Is it structural as in a structural grid or just a production efficiency to decrease build time?

It’s getting cold here and we may be done sailing for a couple months, although a warm spell could get us out a bit this winter. My brain-housing-group is having some strange notions. It’s turning over ideas that are not really desired but are stubbornly refusing to go away.

Any input is appreciated.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Gutting a CD 25D?

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

I am sure those with more knowledge will soon post. In the interim I offer the following:

1. The Cape Dory 25D had/has bronze port lights. I believe all of the Cape Dory 25 sailboats had a type of plastic (at least non-bronze) port light that was shaped differently - more elongated.

2. In a silhouette out of the water, a Cape Dory 25D will have a prop and shaft protected by the rudder. The Cape Dory 25 has a well for an O/B.

3. Interiors are completely different but you said only silhouette.

I am sure there are more differences that others will observe.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

The CD25 has considerable more freeboard.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Yes, the CD25D has lots more freeboard than the CD25. But not all CD25s had 'plastic' portlights.
Later model CD25s came with bronze port lights -or- maybe they were option???
The last CD25 I owned had bronze portlights.
And from personal experience, my last CD25 out sailed my buddy's CD25D... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike, that is interesting. I do not believe I have seen a photo posted of a CD 25 with bronze port lights.

John, I guess that is then not a distinguishing feature. The few CD 25s I looked at all had plastic (non-bronze) type port lights. Sorry about that. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Answering another of your questions: Yes, 25Ds all had hull liners.
Also, the 25D has (more or less) standing headroom, at least for short folks like me and my wife, while the 25 does not.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Joe, and all who have or may still provide info and thoughts. The 25D seems like a tough little pocket cruiser. But I am not a fan of liners. I'm looking into the future wondering what might make a strong versatile trailerable expeditionary cruiser. I cut the overhead liner out of the Far Reach. She didn't have a hull liner but if she had I would have cut it out too. Looking at some interior pictures of the 25D the liners look extensive. It would be a lot of work. And I'd want to toss the inboard. At 5000lbs I could scull it or even row it. I bet I could power it with a 4-6 HP outboard if necessey. I like the 25 but I think it would be difficult to live without standing head room. Maybe I'll come across one in bad shape for a very low price. Hmmmm ....

The other boat that interests me is the Roger Martin designed Presto!. It's a 30' trailerable centerboard boat that is cat-ketch rigged. I read he is working on plans for a Self-build wood strip version. That sounds interesting to me and I think I could do a credible job at building one. It's fast, good interior column, trailerable. All things to think about.

But the 25/25Ds sure are pretty. So many boats and so little time.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

John,

Unless you've got a heavy-duty pickup and the right trailer, the 25D really isn't trailerable, IMHO. But Bill Slater managed to haul Rhapsody around from Oklahoma to the Gulf.

Best of luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Thanks Joe, and all who have or may still provide info and thoughts. The 25D seems like a tough little pocket cruiser. But I am not a fan of liners. I'm looking into the future wondering what might make a strong versatile trailerable expeditionary cruiser. I cut the overhead liner out of the Far Reach. She didn't have a hull liner but if she had I would have cut it out too. Looking at some interior pictures of the 25D the liners look extensive. It would be a lot of work. And I'd want to toss the inboard. At 5000lbs I could scull it or even row it. I bet I could power it with a 4-6 HP outboard if necessey. I like the 25 but I think it would be difficult to live without standing head room. Maybe I'll come across one in bad shape for a very low price. Hmmmm ....

The other boat that interests me is the Roger Martin designed Presto!. It's a 30' trailerable centerboard boat that is cat-ketch rigged. I read he is working on plans for a Self-build wood strip version. That sounds interesting to me and I think I could do a credible job at building one. It's fast, good interior column, trailerable. All things to think about.

But the 25/25Ds sure are pretty. So many boats and so little time.
Ron Sanga had a CD25D which he trailed. Came up to one of our New England cruises a few years ago. I believe his home port was South Carolina. It might be worth benefitting from his experiences.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
steveg

Post by steveg »

John,

Here are a few pictures which give a pretty good idea about the size differences. You can haul the 25D with a half ton truck, it is just not probably recommended to haul her far. It is also possible to launch and haul out with a quality trailer and a decent ramp. You can even do it without any additional help if you are patient.

Ultimately the 25D is much more comfortable for extended cruising. This is so in large part due to the headroom and the large forward head. The little Yanmar while not overpowering will propel her nicely and is conservative on fuel. It runs about three hours to the gallon.

I believe it was about 1981 that the bronze ports began to be used in the 25. The 25 may sail just a little better, although for hanging out on the boat for extended periods, the 25D is far superior.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Steve
Wow! The 25D is significant larger. The line drawings simply don’t show how much different the boats are from one another. Thanks very much.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I was curious to check out the differences in the line drawings, so I put together this composite. The 25D is in blue and the 25 in red. I scaled them by hand so it's probably not a perfect comparison, but still might be useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Lascelles

Post by Bob Lascelles »

Hi John,
Have you consider a CD 26? Essentially the same hull and rig as the 25D, but with a foot added to the stern. I believe most were setup with an outboard well instead of a diesel, so I think they must have more room for storage. They also have a more traditional interior layout with a vee berth. Regarding trailerability, I towed my 25d with a 2013 Toyota Tundra from Duluth, MN to York, ME without much trouble. As long as the truck is rated for the towing weight and you use a good load leveling/anti sway hitch it really isn’t that hard to tow on the highway.
All the best
Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

To my eye, the 25 has a more pronounced sheer than the 25D. But the superimposed line drawings make their sheer lines appear much more alike than my eye tells me.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Ben's below the water comparison in his drawing looks o.k.
How about another view bow to stern When you get a chance Ben? :)
Pf