CD 36 Questions/Interest

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SailingNW

CD 36 Questions/Interest

Post by SailingNW »

Hello, I have started my search for my next sailboat, and one of the boats I am looking for more information on is a Cape Dory 36. In the next few years I am looking to do some long term cruising, while my current boat is offshore capable its just more than I need so I am looking to sell it and get something a bit smaller. While I have been reading though forums as much as I can and reviews, there are a number of questions I have, that I can't seem to find answers for. Since unfortunately there aren't many CD 36's in the Pacific NW, I am hoping I can get some answers here. Though if anyone owns a Cape Dory up around Seattle, I would love to chat with them.

So the questions
What are the general sailing characteristics, and do they steer quickly, or do they tend be slower?

Is there a decent amount of storage, and would there be room for a forced air diesel heater and water maker on board?

I noticed most of them have an icebox, any idea on the rough dimensions, and how challenging would it be to put in a drop in replacement, or convert it to a fridge if anyone has any experience?

What size of chain, and how much space for chain/rode is there?

Thanks in advance
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD 36 Questions/Interest

Post by John Stone »

It's a superb boat. It's narrow by modern standards. That means it sails upwind without drama. But it also limits storage inside. It has long overhangs by modern standards which means it has a longer water line as it heels so it's hull speed is faster than the static waterline suggests but it limits storage inside. It has a low freeboard by modern standards which means it lies to an anchor soundly but can be a bit wet upwind offshore. It has a long keel by modern standards which makes it steers poorly backward under power but it tracks well going forward and responds well to a self steering windvane. It's a very well made boat with a few dirty secrets which are well known by owners and not too hard to address.

The original hardware is very good. The rig is stout. The sail plan is moderate in size. The boat is strong and safe offshore and reasonably fast if well handled. She is a classically good looking boat from any angle.

There is limited storage room unless you are prepared to make a few mods. I made a number of significant modifications and I have more storage than most 40' boats but the mods took a lot of effort. I have a refleks 66MK heater (mine is kerosene but diesel is standard) and it is magnificent. We have sailed the boat in 35F and it was 70F inside.

The standard icebox is large and not well insulated. We built a new one so other owners are better qualified to discuss options regarding refrigeration for the original icebox.

We carry 240' of 5/16 HT and a 20 KG spade with a manual windlass and we think that's perfect. Most owners have electric windlasses and that seems to work well too.

Our boat Has significant modifications so it's not a great comparison to a stock CD 36. Most owners seem very happy with their boats. John Ring is very knowledgeable and has raced his CD 36 Tiara to Bermuda a couple times and done very well. He would be a valuable source of information. Also, David Vandenburgh is very knowledgeable and has done a great job maintaining and sailing his CD 36 Ariel.

A couple links below might be helpful as you investigate further.

Here is a link to our website detailing our multiyear rebuild and modifications. http://www.farreachvoyages.com

Here is our sailing blog and repair blog since we returned from the West Indies last year. http://www.farreachvoyages.wordpress.com
Last edited by John Stone on Dec 7th, '17, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
John Stevenson

Post by John Stevenson »

Here is a review that appeared in Sailing Magazine in 2011:
http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1166 ... ry-36.html

A great boat to work on because it is a great boat to look at!
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Is there a decent amount of storage, and would there be room for a forced air diesel heater and water maker on board?

We have an Espar installed. The main unit is installed up under the deck on the port side. It's accessed via the port cockpit locker and works great up here in Maine.

I noticed most of them have an icebox, any idea on the rough dimensions, and how challenging would it be to put in a drop in replacement, or convert it to a fridge if anyone has any experience?

We have engine driven Seafrost installed. It works great with about 1 hour engine running each day, we typically keep some ice cubes for cold drinks. We try to start our trips with a cold ice box (a couple of blocks of ice a day before we load it up) and most of the food frozen. Stuff next to the holding plate will stay frozen for a week. The box is approximately a 2ft cube.

What size of chain, and how much space for chain/rode is there?

The locker is split. We have 250ft of 5/16 HT on the Starboard side with a 45lb Manson. On the port side we have a 33lb Bruce with 50ft of 5/16 HT and 250ft Nylon. Some people have modified the locker, removing the divider and the floor to allow more chain. One thing I don't like about the locker is it drains into the bilge. We have a salt water wash-down pump to clean the chain before it goes into the locker. Most Maine anchorages are muddy, bringing muddy chain into the locker is not desirable.

The "Sailing Magazine" article talks about a fiberglass fuel tank but I believe most came from the factory with metal fuel tanks. There may be some fiberglass tanks out there but personally I haven't heard of one.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I sailed on Tiara this summer on the Marion to Bermuda race. It was John Ring's first voyage to Bermuda. We did race from Marblehead to Halifax in 2015.

Tiara did very well on the BDA race. Cape Dory's do very well when the wind is on the beam, and we had perfect weather. We also kept sailing in very light winds when (judging by the nav lights) other boats gave up. The CD long keel and momentum advantage really paid off in the 0.5-0.9 kt winds we had for about 12 hours. It was challenging sailing but, that's racing.

I think it's all about how you sail her. Treat her well and you will be rewarded. She's got a ton of potential.

Jeff
Greg Kozlowski

Post by Greg Kozlowski »

Others have answered most of your questions, I'll just add that on a single handed crossing of the pond, our former CD36 under an Aries windvane took care of herself even in horrible conditions. Very nice ride.
SailingNW

Post by SailingNW »

Everyone thank you for the responses, another question, being somewhat tall 6'2", headroom can be a concern, looking at the literature, the headroom appears to be around 6'4" for the boat which looks like it should be okay, for those of you who are taller, how is the headroom in the boat?
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I am 6'4" and move very comfortably around below. If I really need to stretch my spine, I can do so under the main cabin hatch! My prior boat had barely 6' headroom, so the CD 36 feels palatial.
Doug Gibson
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

What boat are you down sizing from? I lived aboard my CD36 for 5 years and I'm now looking for more room.