What to do?

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

What to do?

Post by moctrams »

I have the original bill of sale for my 1982 Cape Dory 30C. The price of the boat was $45,000. In today’s money that would be $115,579.15. I can’t understand why potential buyers insist on “low balling” the asking price for a superb quality sailboat. I paid $28,500 for Gabbiano in 2006. That would be $34,963 in 2017 money. I kept all of my receipts over the years and I have spent over $35,000.00 in upgrades, electronics, new engine and repairs. I don’t know what to do with the boat when I get too old to care for it. My friend who owns a splendid 1974 Hinckley who is 86 years. He also wonders what to do with the boat. Our kids are not interested in such things and have other plans for their leisure time.
Ben Thomas

Re: What to do?

Post by Ben Thomas »

I am quite literally "in the same boat"
All three of my boys are busy with their lives-kids-work, their recreational choices are very seldom to go out on Grandpa's boat as their passions are elsewhere.
On the rare occasion they do come out they are up on the foredeck enjoying themselves, which is good..
Sometimes they even ask what do all those ropes do?
I have given all a summary of what to do in an emergency, like me falling overboard.
Next time a few drills are in order before anything else.
As far as selling "Milagro" I'm not even close to considering that as an option yet.
Low Balling has always been present in both my business's mostly from the very wealthy of my clients, standing firm and knowing your bottom line is essential.
negotiating is a tricksey business.
Cheers, Ben
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Me Too. Ive been wondering what I will do with "Leoma" when I pass. I'm a senior now. I never married and have no children. I don't have any other assets to worry about just my truck and tools. I have been devoting all my income to refurbishing my boat and will continue for the rest of life probably. I have 13 siblings and many nephews and nieces but none have any interest in boating or me. I think I want to donate my boat to the Explorer Scouts or maybe to a CDSOA member at a big discount. I refuse to let some lowballer get it or someone who doesn't appreciate her. I think for those with money lowballing is a game and expected way to do business but for people like me its and insult and sickening that all that blood , sweat and hard hard work going out the door.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
steveg

Post by steveg »

Supply and demand are major contributors. Manufacturers keep making new boats. It seems there are less people interested in boating in general. Sailing suffers greatly from the trend given that it takes some skill to operate a sailboat. Fiberglass boats last a long time so there are many boats out there which are no longer appreciated. Often when the boat owner who loved his craft and took exceptional care of her passes, there is no family member who shares the passion. Consequently when the surviving family members are left with a boat they have no great affection for and the costs of keeping her are high and continuing, they will part with her for not a great sum. This is exacerbated as the size increases. As one who loves boats but does not have a great wallet to pursue them, I am grateful for the opportunity to acquire a fine vessel at an affordable price. When making an offer it is helpful to indicate to the seller that you appreciate the quality of the boat but are constrained by your budget and suggest what you can pay while indicating that if it is not acceptable you understand.

My current boat was purchased from the original owner who took very good care of her. The price suggested in the advertisement seemed reasonable. Upon inspecting the boat, knowing it was what I sought and hoped for, and not wanting to offend the owner I asked what his best price was, he told me what he wanted, which was less than the advertised price, and I accepted. He knew I was serious as it was a four hundred mile trip each way to see the boat. The price was in the range of what was hoped for and even though it may have been possible to negotiate a better deal, the price was fair and within my budget. There were other CD's which I was interested in yet when it was politely indicated what my budget would permit, the seller declined, eliminating the need to travel a long distance to see them. Many months later the same boats were still for sale, some at significantly reduced prices which would have been within my budget.

So, I have great sympathy for those whose boats were lovingly cared for yet may not be appreciated by those close to the the owner. Hopefully you will find someone who will appreciate your boat as much as you have even if they are unable to pay top dollar to acquire her.
Last edited by steveg on Nov 30th, '17, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am keeping fingers crossed but it looks like I may be facing the same scenario sooner (much sooner :!: ) than I had anticipated. If I am unable to sail S/V Bali Ha'i I think it would be tragic to just let her sit on her mooring or on a trailer.

I guess, at some point, most of us will face this "fork in the road". What do we do with something we love and have carried for - whether 2, 5, 10 or 20+ years :?: Personally, I think I would rather S/V Bali Ha'i go to someone who may not offer market price but will care for her the way she deserves to be cared for rather than someone who will treat her like just another sailboat.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

You know what Yogi Berra said:

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it. "
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Well you guys are really cheering me up on a cold winter day. :cry:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

My plan was to give Gabbiano to a good friend’s son that I had known from his adolescent days. He worked at Flag Harbor Marina and performed many repairs to Gabbiano, including the deck, installed a new engine, barrier coated the hull and many more operations. The plan went out the window when he overdosed on an opioid. My heart grieves every day for his senseless death.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Moctrams, I am sorry. That’s a real blow to everyone who knew that young man.

Some of you may know how Liz Clark got her Cal 40, Swell. http://swellvoyage.com If not, the short version is when she was about 20 or so a family friend at their yacht club learned she was looking for a boat to go off to Mexico and the South Pacific surfing along the way. He was quite elderly I think and basically developed a plan with her to make the goal achievable. He either gave her his boat or she got it for a song. I’d say it was a great deal for both partys. He saw his beloved boat gain a new life and go to a terrific person with a worthy goal and she got a boat that has been very kind to her and enabled her to achieve a great cause. She has done a lot with that boat and inspired many people in ways that reach well beyond sailing.

It’s something to consider and if the situation allows could be a very worthy thing to do.