Adding Ballast Aft?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Robert Douglas

Adding Ballast Aft?

Post by Robert Douglas »

Hello!

My name is Robert and I am new to the CDSOA. I purchased a Cape Dory 25D a couple of years ago - my first boat - and have not looked back:) Southpaw is my pride and joy and I have been doing everything I can to bring her up to renewed spec. I apologize for asking the group for advice strait away - I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I recently re-powered (owner project, done at home -yikes) going from a Westerbeek 10/2 to a re-manufactured Yanmar 1GM10. It turns out that my new new set-up weighs about 75-100 pounds less than the previous set-up. The new engine is lighter plus I did away with a lot of plumbing, the hot water heater, etc. I am now riding slightly high aft in terms of waterline. I would like to add some ballast but their does not seem to be a good place to put it near the new engine.

I was thinking of using a led/epoxy slurry poured/set into the holding tank which sits directly below the engine. I am trying to determine if this could have a negative impact on the boat structurally aside from decreasing my holding tank capacity. Does anyone have any insights regarding adding ballast aft, or could perhaps refer my to an engineer with knowledge of CDs?

Thank you and take care,

Robert
mgphl52

Re: Adding Ballast Aft?

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Robert!

Welcome aboard! First, why are you concerned about such a small amount of weight difference?
Usually, we have folks sailing with us that tend to enjoy sitting in the cockpit, right?
I, for one, have very few friends that couldn't make up that difference in ballast... :D
You say she rides a little high in the stern, but how does she sail???
Before worrying with changes, take some folks out with you and shift them around as ballast.
Only if you can really ascertain any improvements, would I suggest making ballast changes.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I wouldn't be concerned about riding slightly high at the stern. Most boats tend to squat under full power. Also, with a weight reduction you might just outsail all the other 25D's :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I am jealous of any Cape Dory that rides a little high in the stern, usually the opposite is the problem and we try to shift weight forward. I would leave her as is and sail her for a season, then see what you think. You might have to move the cooler into cockpit.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Robert,
25Ds were originally powered with the 1GM. I suspect you may be riding high in the stern only relative to where it was with the Westerbeke, and you may now be on your designed marks. In any event, if you decide to add weight I would suggest making it useful weight. An extra battery, spare anchor, chain, a case of rum, all come to mind.

Steve Kuhar
Robert Douglas

Post by Robert Douglas »

Hi everyone,

Wow, thanks so much for the fast and informative replies!! Point taken for sure. Being a new boat owner and also taking on such a large re-power project on my own has left me perhaps more nervous than I should be about small details. Its true that 100 pounds on a 5000 pound boat is a very small amount. Also, yes we do like to ride in the cockpit and probably provide plenty of ballast, LOL! I knew that the 25D was designed for the 1GM10 but had stupidly not considered this when thinking I might need to add ballast.

The boat sails great and is super solid, so I am basically going to stop worrying:)

Thanks to the group!! I hope to return help when its needed.

Take Care,

Robert
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve's right... it's lots simpler to shift weight around by changing what gets stored where. Rum, beer, tools, spares, canned food, etc., are all heavy. Just move them further aft.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Rum is heavy. Jim Walsh and I met a 71 year old guy in a beautiful Nova Scotia schooner that had a rum keg on board. The kicker was that he had a deck fill for it. When I asked why, his reply was that the keg was really heavy when it was full. Anyone who has a rum keg with a deck fill is my hero. To better that he also had a cute little boat cat. I don't think the cat helped much with ballast and I also doubt that he was too concerned with how the rum weight would tend to change.

IT was a beautiful boat with a colorful captain, Steve.
Robert Douglas

Post by Robert Douglas »

When she is back in the water I will definitely try moving some stuff around - tools for sure. The deck fill rum story has just caused me to reevaluate my priorities in life. I seriously aspire!!
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Personally I would opt for beer in the tanks. Resist adding ballast to either the bow or stern. There is a tendency to hobby-horse in chop. The added momentum tends to accentuate this tendency.
Last edited by Skylark on Nov 26th, '17, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

First, welcome to the wonderful world of Cape Dory sailboats and this board.

Second, pay no attention to any of the above posts that suggest that your ballast issue can be resolved with rum, liquor or generic beers. I can assure you that the only acceptable"libation solution" to your ballast issue is one or more cases of Guinness. With absolutely no experience in this matter I would, nevertheless, recommend one case of Guinness for each 1" of ballast you want to achieve.

Third, finally on a serious note, I recall someone recently posting a thread on this board discussing his concern that his CD 25D (it could have been a CD 27 or CD 28) was riding low in the stern and he was concerned about sea water backflowing into the mixing elbow and possibly the engine. I tried to find the thread before I posted. No luck. :( I ain't very computer literate.

My thought would be to add nothing at first. Put 2-3 adults in the cockpit, go for a ride (motor and sail) and see what she looks like.

On S/V Bali Ha'i, my 1982 CD 25D with the original Yanmar 1GM, the exhaust tube sits just slightly above the water line when on her mooring. When motoring and with me at the helm (old, short, fat) the exhaust hovers between being at the water line and a little below the water line.

If your CD 25D truly rides high aft I would think that a small blessing. If you must, hanging an extra 30 lbs. anchor off the stern rail should level her out a little.

JMTC. As most on this board can attest I have very little knowledge or skills in this area.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It's not so much where the exhaust exits the boat as how high the hose goes before it gets there. Raven's exhaust is often below the water for extended periods of time. The hose that leads to it is tucked up under the seat in the cockpit so the water would have to get that high before it could enter the waterlift muffler and then fill it and make it's way to the exhaust elbow and the engine. I couple of inches at the stern isn't going to have any effect on the exhaust situation.

Raven had and still does have a bit of stern squat. I added 90' of anchor chain and moved my batteries as far forward as possible. I also store my large tool box, an extra 5 Gal of water, spare parts low in the bow. At her last haul out, I moved the water line to raise it a bit more in the stern. She looks a bit better now but I still know she sits a bit low in back. This is far preferable to being bow heavy and I like to think that she sits up on her lines when the wind hits her sails, Steve.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Good morning from sunny (not really) Nova Scotia!

We have a 31 and have done all the things Steve has to keep her even on the water. We have an added aft weight source in that we have davits and an older, heavier solar panel mounted on top of them. Yeah, we know that davits don't look right on a yacht so small, but we both have some medical issues that make the davits a necessity, plus we can launch the dinghy with motor in just a few minutes in an emergency.

Anyhow, back to the waterline issue at hand. Some additional things we have done are:

1. always keep the bow water tank full. We also added a rarely used manual windlass on the foredeck.

2. We also carry a 25-lb. dumbbell, this in addition to the dumbbell my wife married. The dumbbell is to be used as a sentinel weight that can be clipped on the anchor chain, or slid down the anchor line (if we're using our big Fortress storm anchor) to improve holding power. We pad the dumbbell and stow it securely under the v-berth.

3.. also stowed under the v-berth are a 5-lb. hammer. This is used rarely but can be very useful at times;

4. spare stove alcohol in a leakproof plastic basin

5. spare alternator, water pump and electric bilge pump.

We haven't noticed any appreciable difference in boat handling, plunging bow or hobby horsing.

FYI, Cheers!
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

If I wanted to add 75-100 lbs to the stern of my 25D I would stuff a teenage cheerleader in the port locker. Extra ballast and the only human form that can get to the stern gland.
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.