Repowering a CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jneely

Repowering a CD27

Post by jneely »

I would be interested in hearing the experiences of anyone who has re-powered a CD 27.
Andy Denmark

Re: Repowering a CD27

Post by Andy Denmark »

Four years ago I replaced the original Westerbeke 13 in my CD-27, Rhiannon, with a Betamarine 14. Lot's of picures. At the same time I also fully enclosed the engine compartment, re-engineered and replaced the exhaust system, added a PSS, and a accomplished a handful of projects that were made possible by not having an engine in place.

I have pictures and plan to use those to accompany a project write-up summary to post here but health considerations have overshadowed this and a number of other things.

I'd be happy to help, supply pictures, etc. Ask specific questions and I'll try to answer them.

Andy Denmark
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
jneely

Post by jneely »

Thank you, Andy. I will be in touch.
Northstar1014

Post by Northstar1014 »

Hi Andy,

I'd also love to see the project photos. No specific questions - just curiosity. Please let me know if you end up posting them here or to a photo sharing site online?

Best,

Ted
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

I'll be happy to provide pictures but it's not an easy undertaking as they are scattered through 2 computers (Mac & Linux platforms), numerous emails & PM communications, 2 different camera memory media, & several thumb drives.

Yes, my photo organizing skills are awful but the W-13 to Beta 14 repower project photos give me motivation to go forward with this. I have moved it up on priority list. I have some pix on Photobucket that are immediately accessible but I need to find out how to get to those from old computer. I'll post PB info when I find it.

I'm interested in finding an easier photo storage & transfer app and am open to suggestions. Getting all these pictures into one place will certainly simplify things.
s/v Rhiannon

mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Depending on just how much storage you need, you might want to look at Pbase.com.
While it is not free, it is also relatively inexpensive and comes with some easy to use tools.

Now, if I could just find the time to go back and update mine... :oops:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Andy - Add me to the list of those eagerly following this thread.

For a specific question, were there any parts of the project you could do yourself that saved some coin? Or that someone with modest mechanical skills would be able to handle? I'm looking to maybe repower in a year, and I'm thinking that taking the old engine out and doing the clean up work in the engine compartment would save some labor money.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with fellow CD27 folks!
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Sure. No problem. I'd like a name to know who I'm talking to, though.

I'd like to do this so anyone who might be interested could access it.

Health situation is getting better but a long way to go, yet. This will give me a goal which is an important piece in this old man's picture puzzle of life.
s/v Rhiannon

Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Go to Photobucket.com

Login as: Trekker43

Use password: 4 3 4 3 4 3

This should open the site with all the pix I used as a trial run of Photobucket years ago. In the middle of starting this project I changed computers and went from Microsoft to Linux platforms. At the time, P/B didn't support Linux so the photo library project was shelved. Some years later I switched platforms once again, this time to Mac OS. I had no idea that P/B would later be supported on Mac OS and I accidentally stumbled upon it while exploring the new system.

There are more pictures here of other modifications made on Rhiannon over the 35 years I've owned her. There are pix of the original interior as well, and some exterior shots of additional dorade box, long handrails, and interior mods, too ---

I am asked why I repowered when the Westerbeke 13 was a perfect match for the CD-27 and was maintained religiously and running like a top. It's simple: old age made maintenance almost impossible for me. The Beta 14 has all routine service points on the front of the engine, thus making maintenance so easy that I look forward to doing it rather than dreading the beating I took when the Westy was at a service interval.

The Beta is lighter, smoother, quieter, and equal to the W-13 in fuel economy. Betamarine USA is 12 miles from my marina. I worked with the Beta guys to design a custom mount for the Westerbeke 13 to Beta 14
transition. Using this mount makes this repower a drop-in job. I'm sure Stanley has plans for this mounting bracket.

One other thing that appears to be a problem for some. Quite a bit of stuff must be removed from the engine to get it in and out of its small compartment. Putting this stuff back on after engine is in place is the most trouble and most time consuming part of the job. This is common to most repowering jobs on smaller boats and there's no way around it without tearing up fiberglass and/or cabinetry.

I hope these pics give a better idea of this project's scope and degree of difficulty. I'm happy to help with further questions.
s/v Rhiannon

fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Wow Andy - 35 years!

Lucky boat ...

I've been considering re-powering from my YSM 8 to the Beta.

Do you think Beta might have mount conversion details for this combo ?

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hey Fred,

Stanley at Betamarine can answer all your questions whereas I'd just be guessing. He can take the engineering drawings of your Yanmar and the dimensions of the Beta 14 and match them up. There's a good chance that the Yanmar will align or use simple bed risers to adapt -- this will be the best outcome.

Andy
s/v Rhiannon

Tim_149

Post by Tim_149 »

Hi Andy,

My wife and I bought a Cape Dory 27, "Peponi" in 2016 and keep it in Olympia, WA. The PO (Greg) did a lot of refit work, including a BetaMarine 14. It's been nearly 6 years since the PYI PSS Shaft Seal was installed, which is when the manufacturer says to buy a parts kit and replace the bellows. I have to come up with two dimensions to order the right kit - prop shaft diameter and shaft log outer diameter. The prop shaft is easy. I've guestimated the shaft log OD at roughly 2-1/4" using a tape measure, a flashlight, and my old eyeballs, but would appreciate any info that comes from actual measurements, if you happen to know. The CD manual that I've been able to find for a CD25 suggests a 1-1/2" OD for the shaft log, which is certainly not accurate for ours.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim | 1979 Cape Dory 27 | South Puget Sound
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Tim_149 wrote:Hi Andy,

My wife and I bought a Cape Dory 27, "Peponi" in 2016 and keep it in Olympia, WA. The PO (Greg) did a lot of refit work, including a BetaMarine 14. It's been nearly 6 years since the PYI PSS Shaft Seal was installed, which is when the manufacturer says to buy a parts kit and replace the bellows. I have to come up with two dimensions to order the right kit - prop shaft diameter and shaft log outer diameter. The prop shaft is easy. I've guestimated the shaft log OD at roughly 2-1/4" using a tape measure, a flashlight, and my old eyeballs, but would appreciate any info that comes from actual measurements, if you happen to know. The CD manual that I've been able to find for a CD25 suggests a 1-1/2" OD for the shaft log, which is certainly not accurate for ours.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim - I assume you are the owner of the Peponi chronicled here, and that you are aware of the site? Tons of info here from who I would assume is the PO. http://capedory27.blogspot.com/
Tim_149

Post by Tim_149 »

csoule13 wrote:I assume you are the owner of the Peponi chronicled here, and that you are aware of the site? Tons of info here from who I would assume is the PO. http://capedory27.blogspot.com/
Howdy csoule13, yep, that's the one. That's how I was able to estimate how long the PSS had been in service. Greg did a great job sharing his refit experience, which really helped in our decision to make an offer on his boat. Since we took over as caretakers of Peponi, I've accumulated a bunch more info, pix, and thoughts that I've back-burnered for a rainy winter, maybe this one, to toss up on a blog site that we have. I'd certainly chain that blog site to Greg's.
Tim | 1979 Cape Dory 27 | South Puget Sound