Black soot from discharge - M25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jerzyjoe

Black soot from discharge - M25

Post by jerzyjoe »

I have begun to notice a black discharge from my exhaust upon starting the engine. This does not result in a slick and immediately sinks. So it is not oil. And the engine runs fine. I have seen other posts about a black moustache on the transom but this is different - no moustache. How worried should I be?

Thank you
Jerzyjoe
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Black soot from discharge - M25

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

JerzyJoe:

There are many others with a lot more knowledge than I but I offer the following until the experts post:

Possibly bad or incomplete combustion or bad fuel.

This could be caused by a bad injector.

Insufficient air flow; thus incomplete combustion.

Also, bad quality fuel in the diesel tank.

Your post does not indicate if the "black discharge" is constant or only upon "starting the engine". If only upon starting, and all is good, probably no big deal. It takes "air flow" a minute to catch up to fuel delivery.

My suggestion would be to get a service manual for your specific diesel engine and then go down the list of possible causes starting with the easy, simple and easily accessible and work you way up (or down) to the more difficult and tough to get at.

JMTC. There are real experts on this board who can offer more detailed and focused suggestions.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
csoule13

Re: Black soot from discharge - M25

Post by csoule13 »

Very curious to see how this thread goes. My YSM8 coughing up some black stuff on initial start up. This weekend, I hung a bucket under the transom and caught it to 1) Be a good boater and 2) To figure out what the heck it is. Smelled like charcoal, and was certainly black and gritty. Did not have any look or smell of oil or diesel. Everything from the exhuast manifold to the transom is brand new(the project that ate the summer).