Anchor roller removal

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Carter

Anchor roller removal

Post by Tom Carter »

I have an '85 Cape Dory 30C and I'm trying to replace the anchor roller that is in the bowsprit. I removed the teak bung on the starboard side of the bowsprit and was expecting to find a bolt that I could remove and then just replace the roller. Unfortunately, instead of a bolt head I found what looks like about a 1/2" pin that has some wood and epoxy around it. Does anyone who has removed this have any advice on how to get this pin out?
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Anchor roller removal

Post by jbenagh »

It's a drift pin, just a piece of bronze rod. You might reconsider why you want to remove it.
If you do want it out, there are some other tips in earliest posts. Its not easy.
Jeff
Tom Carter

Post by Tom Carter »

I was hoping to get it out so that I can replace the anchor roller which has almost no material left in the center, allowing the chain to grind against the pin. Other solutions would be to cut the roller off and replace it with a split roller on the pin or I could buy a whole new roller assembly and bolt it onto the bowsprit. I'll try to search again for information on how to get the pin out so I can decide on a path forward although I didn't find anything in an initial search.
Does anyone have pictures of modifications they have made to their anchor rollers?
Tom Carter

Post by Tom Carter »

After doing a bit of searching in old threads, I think that I have decided to just cut out the old roller and buy a prefabricated one that I can bolt on to the bowsprit (with a bit of modification so that it won't interfere with the forestay chainplate and forestay pin.