Winter Mast Storage

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jneely

Winter Mast Storage

Post by jneely »

I would like to hear whatever thoughts are out there on the pros and cons of leaving the mast up during winter storage.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Winter Mast Storage

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Pros:
-No need for crane/gin pole to unstep.
-Less work both in the fall and spring.
-If you don't have a DIY setup, you save Yard fees.

Cons:
-Depending on your boat cover design (shrink, canvas, tarps), leaving mast up can be trickier to get cover on well. (I do DIY shrink wrap and it adds an hour or two of work to install cover when I leave the mast up.)
-You pass up an opportunity to inspect and service the masthead, spreaders, standing rigging and electricals from the ease and safety of the ground.

I unstep every third year or thereabouts. I am in the lower Hudson valley where the spray contains only a little salt water. Where you are, I would ask around for local knowledge, as I would think a much saltier environment as you have might demand more frequent inspection, and winter is an obvious time to do that.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Do you have many thunder and lightning storms where you are during off season?

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Your rigging is less apt to be damaged if it is left in place. There will be less work in tuning and re rigging in the spring. Leaving the rig up puts a tremendous amount of strain on the hull and stands in any wind event, while on the hard. There is always some give when the boat is in the water. Not so when she is sitting in the stands.

Raven is coming out of the water this year and it will give me a chance to go over the mast much better than when she stays in, Steve.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

In a previous answer on this mast removal topic, I asked if you had much thunder and lightning storms in your area. My thought in mind was that a metal mast sticking straight up might be considered a lightning rod.

I have no answer if the mast should be grounded or be kept isolated from earth ground if left erect during the off season.

I have always unstepped my masts in the past.

Good luck,

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I have heard, but sans any evidence, that leaving you rig standing puts additional pressure/stress on the chain plates and hull. The rationale given for this was a boat in water subject to winds has additional "give" since the boat in water moves thereby countering the force somewhat. I'm not an engineer so have no idea whether this is truth or nonsense...just putting it out there.,,

I've never damaged any of the standing rigging when stepping or unstepping the mast. My view is to bring it down. Then again it only costs me $20.00 to use the crane at my club to do this...if it cost $10/foot to do so (it does at the local marina) then I might think twice...

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Think of boats on the hard with their masts up as dominoes. IF you are going ot haul it you might as well get the stick down. Steve.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Fifteen years of winter storage here in Michigan. We've stored mast up and mast down. Pulling the stick aboard Ariel (CD36) actually creates more wear and tear - and stress - than leaving her mast up. Your mileage may vary since you're sailing a CD27 with a deck-stepped mast. Some things to think about:

- Mast down requires sturdy supports placed on deck (I built mine out of 4x4 lumber)
- Supports need to be well secured to handle snow and wind loads.
- Using your mast as a ridgepole could damage your mast if improperly supported and/or supporting a heavy snow load (always wise to check on the boat frequently during winter)
- You'll likely need to remove your spreaders
- Turnbuckles, shrouds and stays need to be nicely bundled so they don't kink or go missing
- Some sort of protective cover should go over the mast when it's on the supports so a flapping winter cover doesn't chafe the paint/anodizing and so the cover doesn't chafe through on things like the gooseneck fitting, cotter pins, winches, etc
- All wiring connectors need a quick disconnect: radar, anemometer/wind indicator, vhf, deck/steaming light, anchor light, etc.
- Roller furling foil needs to be looked after during the stepping and unstepping process, and there needs to be some cutout fitting in the supports for the foil so the weight of the mast isn't resting on it atop the supports
- Most roller furling units - even the simpler ones - require the drum or lower foil assembly to be disassembled to access the turnbuckle for unstepping/tuning. That process can be a hassle.
- There's always the potential for dings and scrapes if the yard workers aren't careful

There are clear advantages to unstepping the mast, some of which have been noted:
- It's a good time to inspect the rig or upgrade electronics/wiring
- The mast and rigging are out of the weather for half the year
- Your winter cover is likely cheaper and simpler to install

As far as windage is concerned between stepped and unstepped storage, the mast windage is nothing compared that created by a winter cover. We get some violent winds and storms around here, and I've watched - with more than a little anxiety - some covers heave or flap. In response to the question about the Cape Dory's ability to handle the wind loads imposed on its rig while on the hard, we would have sold ours years ago if that were an issue. I do loosen the rig just a bit when she's on the hard, but not so much that anything is slack.

Hope the info and experience helps you make a decision that works for you.

David