Hurrricane Harvey

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Goldsmith

Hurrricane Harvey

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Best wishes to all our friends on the Texas coast to weather Harvey without incident. I hope all your hatches are already battened and bilge pumps in working order!! Be safe.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Capt Hook

Re: Hurrricane Harvey

Post by Capt Hook »

Kumbaya came from Aransas just north of Corpus.
The PO still has a trawler slipped there.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Good luck everyone in Harvey's path. Upgraded to a category 4 per the latest reports. You will be in all our thoughts and prayers.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I echo the words of Bill G. and Jim W. although I doubt anyone along the Texas coast still has any electricity at this point in time to read these posts. Also, recalling what I was doing during Hurricane Andrew (24 August 1992) I doubt anyone is even sitting at their computer.

As ALL of the reports clearly show, this is a catastrophic event for the Texas coast. It looks like Harvey plans to just park itself over the coast from Corpus Christi to Houston for the next 4-5 days with TS force winds and torrential rains. Andrew was very bad but it moved through South Florida quickly. By around 12 noon on Monday, 24 August, less than 9 hours after landfall, the sun was shining and the roads were drying up. No roof, no house, no drinkable water, millions of mosquitos (how do they survive 160 mph winds :?: :?: :?: ) but the hurricane was past. Texas will, if forecasts hold, have days of TS winds or worse plus flooding rains. A nightmare by any measure. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Having been through Hurricane Andrew I know personally what it means to know that fellow citizens are offering all manner of assistance.

This article suggests several avenues that can be used to provide assistance to the victims of Hurricane Harvey. There are many other similar reports and articles and many other ways to offer assistance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 603879001/

By all accounts it will be years for the coastal cities of Texas to recover. The wind damage was very bad but has now abated. These cities will now have to endure days, probably weeks, of flooding.

For those interested, I would respectfully and especially call your attention to Driscoll Children's Hospital in Corpus Christi. Fortunately, they were able to airlift evacuate all of their critical care children to Forth Worth via "The Teddy Bear Transport". It is not yet reported as to the damage to the hospital but Hurricane Harvey made land fall just northeast of Corpus Christi. There is no doubt that Corpus Christi experienced devastating Cat. 4, 140+ mph sustained winds. Driscoll Children's Hospital as well as all the medical facilities along the Texas coast will need massive amounts of assistance.

Even the strongest and toughest of us sometimes need a helping hand; the children especially so.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

How true, how true.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Has anyone heard from any of the Cape Dory Captains in Texas?
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob:

I have close friends who live in Houston. Despite my efforts to persuade them to become caretakers of a Cape Dory sailboat they do not have one but they have been able to provide me with "on scene" updates.

For Houston and surrounding communities this has been the worst rain/flooding in history. My friends were born and raised in Houston area. The winds were bad but not as bad as the flooding. I guess it shows on TV videos but they confirm that almost all of Houston is under several feet of water - with a few areas of exception.

As we all know I am sure, as of this post TS Harvey is now making a second landfall just east of Houston along the Tx/La border. Fortunately, Harvey is now projected to move more quickly NE and away from the coast and dissipate to a subtropical depression by Thu/Fri.

It will be years for Houston to recover.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Bob,

I have heard from the Gulf Coast Fleet Captain, and our Rear Commodore nominee. They are both high and dry but have not yet been able to get to their boats in Clear Lake. There had not been any significant winds in that area as of that time, but water levels were very high. Clear Lake is not really a lake, it is an inlet about half way up the western shore of Galveston Bay, and many of the Gulf Fleet boats are moored there. The Fleet Captain did report that one members boat was dismasted in Dickenson. For those of us who have gone through that period of time between the storms passing and when we can get to our boats, we know what you are going through, and we wish the very best for you.

Steve
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

This catastrophe is beyond words, and simple postings on this board are terribly inadequate, but my heart goes out to all the people on the western Gulf Coast, from Corpus Christi to Houston, western Louisiana and New Orleans. Best wishes to you all in this overwhelming natural disaster.

With hope,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627