30K " Leoma"

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

30K " Leoma"

Post by JD-MDR »

Almost ready .Yard didn't complete the reinstallation of my engine, I guess the mechanic went on vacation. I was wondering if anyone has an idea for where to mount a compass. I thought I would get a bulkhead mount and put it where the knot meter is. I don't think I need that thing any more I wish I could get that whirlybird thing off the hull. I don't really need to know my exact speed and with GPS I have that info. Yard manager promised to launch Friday next week . That only gives me two weekends for seatrials etc. I could postpone the departure date a few weeks. They say August and Sept is the best time to sail south form San Fran to LA. I'm sure I could go anytime but since the boat hasn't been used in ten years and its new to me I should try to be safe as possible. All comments and responses welcome. Thanks
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Steve Laume

Re: 30K " Leoma"

Post by Steve Laume »

Since you have a knot meter and assuming that it works, I would keep it. The Raven never had one and I always have something else to spend money on, so I don't see one in her future. Having both a GPS over the ground speed and a knot meter through the water speed will tell you a lot about the currents you are sailing in. There are many times when I would have liked to have that information. Sometimes I have the boat as well trimmed as I know how and I just don't seem to be moving as fast as I should be. If I had knot meter, I would be able to tell that I was making 5.5 knots through the water and that I couldn't do much better where the GPS shows me doing 4 knots over the ground. I would know I am dealing with a 1.5 knot current and I am not just a crappy sail trimmer, Steve.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I concur with Steve; my knotmeter is handy. On your trip south, I hope your friend comes through and sails with you. Extra fuel
in a five gallon jug is a good thing to have as well as extra filters, also a spare GPS.
Having seen a few yard-induced foul-ups, I would do a sea trial of the engine, checking temperature, excessive vibration, etc.
Hopefully, they have tightened the mounting nuts well and used locktite.
Good luck on your trip! - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Having a 2" hole in the hull, stuffed with a plastic plug doesn't sit well with me.
There are other alternatives, for example the knotstick for less than $50, http://www.knotstick.com/

I built a base for the compass to mount it externally. In this manner, I can remove it without leaving a gaping hole in the bulkhead.

Jonathan
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the support. OK I'll try to keep the knot meter. I could use a little more experience with tides and currents. I've had three old leaky wood boats before and worked on plenty of motor boats out of Kodiak AK. But I'm a self taught sailor and My experience with fiberglass is minimal. I had Jonathans design for the compass mount on my previous boat. It made it a little hard as a backrest. Maybe I'll do that. I already have three 4" +/_ holes in the bulkhead though, knotmeter,sounder and hour meter. I can loose the hour meter because there is another newer one inside the cabin. I'm curious . The surveyor wrote that the engine only had 250 hrs. I called and asked where he got that info. He said from that new meter. But anyone could have put that meter in anytime it doesn't really mean that is the correct hours . Although the engine is really clean and tight. I haven't tested any of the alarms yet. James' (Maine/Buzzard) brand new panels really look nice. Please all comments are welcome. I'm getting really excited . It's getting down to it, 4 more weeks.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

"Leoma" is sailing really nicely. I worry about the mizzen though . I haven't worked on the aft chainplates yet . It was really shaky so we didn't use it. The Yard was reasonable with their charges. They credited me the $3000 for the failed repair. I still think I paid double for the R& R of the shaft etc. I wonder if they should have detected the cracked log at first. It doesn't matter . I give up trying to budget this. I have $30,000 in a boat that I'd be lucky to sell for 6-8000. But as an addict and alcoholic in recovery . I am privileged to support and participate in this awesome industry. Years ago I would've wasted that money in a few weeks. Now I am dreaming again. This trip SF to LA is an easy one. Next is Hilo and Kodiak. A little far fetched is the Northwest passage east to one of your rondevous. I've read of the 130 or so sailors that have done it but it seems they are in super mega yachts and have unlimited funds . I want to do it native style. Grab a couple of Aleuts from Kodiak and go on this 30 'er. Like I said just a dream. Thanks to all those who responded to my posts.
JOHN /JDMDR
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
swparis85

Post by swparis85 »

Hats off to you John, sounds like you've overcome more than just boat problems. No doubt about it a Cape Dory will take you to all those places you mention.
Have you heard about Matt Rutherford? He gained notoriety back in 2006 I think it was for being the first person to singlehand all the way around the Americas via the NW passage and Cape Horn. in a 26 ft albin vega! You should check out the documentary about his voyage: red dot on the ocean. It was free to stream on pbs.org for a while but that window may have passed. I'm sure you could rent it on vimeo.com or maybe thesailingchannel.tv
It's a great watch. Highly recommend to quench your thirst for adventure.

"I count him greater who overcomes his desires than he who conquers his enemies, for the greatest victory is over self" -Aristotle
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's