Typhoon Battery & wiring

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rick Gedney

Typhoon Battery & wiring

Post by Rick Gedney »

I am adding a battery to my 76 CD Ty WE

The yard says I should mount it in a case in the lazarette. I wonder why this would not be below in the cabin?

Where did the boat maker originally mount them?
What are other Ty owner's doing?

Thanks much,

Rick Gedney
"Bess" 1976 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender
CDSOA Member
swparis85

Re: Typhoon Battery & wiring

Post by swparis85 »

The typhoon weekender did not come with any electrics.
Any electrical devices were installed by owners.
A lazarette would be a good place for a battery, but there isn't a true, compartmentalized lazarette on the Ty.
I would think you could mount a battery box anywhere down below. I would aim for a spot that has easy access, is somewhat out of the way, and where the box can be securely mounted. May be a bit of a trick, as space down below is the limiting factor on the Ty.
Keep in mind if you use a traditional wet cell lead-acid battery, and charge the battery without removing it from the boat, you risk filling the cabin with explosive hydrogen gas. Another reason why I'd want the battery somewhere it's easy to remove
All that said, adding an electrical system just complicates things, and sailing a Ty shouldn't be complicated. :D

I'm still using battery powered everything on my Ty. Was considering a simple 12v system for some lights and things, but honestly, why bother?
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I would hesitate to store anything heavy--like a lead-acid battery--too far aft in a Typhoon. The heavier the stern gets, the harder it'll be to keep water from coming up the scuppers once you have a few adults in the cockpit.

I use a trolling motor to push my Ty around, so I have to deal with a battery. For now I rest it on the aft end of the port cockpit cushion when I'm using it, and take it home to charge when I'm not. Long-term I'd like to have a solar panel to charge the battery, in which case I'd probably put it in a case in the cabin where the head used to be and then run an extension aft to the motor. That way the weight is down low and centralized. Unfortunately I don't think any of the "storage" compartments down in the cabin are big enough to fit a normal-sized battery, although something like a motorcycle battery could work.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

A M/C battery should work fine if you use LED lights... Just my thinking. Back when I had Ty's I used the "flash-light" style running lights, C or D-cell as I recall, but they even make those with LED bulbs now.

The KISS principle should definitely apply to a Ty!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Ben Miller wrote:I would hesitate to store anything heavy--like a lead-acid battery--too far aft in a Typhoon. The heavier the stern gets, the harder it'll be to keep water from coming up the scuppers once you have a few adults in the cockpit.

I use a trolling motor to push my Ty around, so I have to deal with a battery. For now I rest it on the aft end of the port cockpit cushion when I'm using it, and take it home to charge when I'm not. Long-term I'd like to have a solar panel to charge the battery, in which case I'd probably put it in a case in the cabin where the head used to be and then run an extension aft to the motor. That way the weight is down low and centralized. Unfortunately I don't think any of the "storage" compartments down in the cabin are big enough to fit a normal-sized battery, although something like a motorcycle battery could work.
Ben what make/size trolling motor do you use? I have been putting off putting the Yamaha 4 hp on my Ty this season, Turing to see if I can make do without it. I just hate the look of the outboard hanging off the stern . Do you use a solar charger to keep the battery topped off?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote: I just hate the look of the outboard hanging off the stern .
I have to agree... but with one exception: my first Typhoon came with a marvelously simple British Seagull that actually looked proper. It was a bit cantankerous at times, but was truly simple and easy to tinker with. It also was ideal for the Typhoon.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:[Ben what make/size trolling motor do you use? I have been putting off putting the Yamaha 4 hp on my Ty this season, Turing to see if I can make do without it. I just hate the look of the outboard hanging off the stern . Do you use a solar charger to keep the battery topped off?
It's a Minn-Kota Endura Max 55. It'll push the boat at two or three knots, in smooth water without much wind. Today going straight into a 10 kt wind and some decent waves that got cut down to 1-2 knots. It's enough to get me in and out of the harbor.

I don't currently have a solar panel to charge it, which is a bummer because I'm on a mooring. Instead I just take the battery home every day to recharge. It'd kind of a double-edged sword: The motor is light enough that I don't mind pulling it off the stern when I'm done with it, but carting the battery around is a pain.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Is the Enduro Max a salt water model? It didn't pop up when I was going through the model selection guide and selected salt water.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Good point! Nope, it's not, but I'm on Lake Michigan.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I use flash light style running lights and if I want more power for something I bought cheap jump starter with a usb and 12v outlet. I just carry it off the boat and charge it at home when needed. Much easier and lighter than a battery plus I can charge my phone when out on the lake. I think you can pick them up for about 50 bucks at Harbor Freight.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes