Anchor locker drain in CD31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robryan

Anchor locker drain in CD31

Post by robryan »

I have looked in the manual. done a search on this forum and can not find the answer. maybe some of you owners of a CD 31 can help. It appears when I look in my anchor locker there is no drain. is that correct? if not where is the drain? can one be installed?

I have just installed a maxwell windless Horz. on the deck and of course had to cut a new hole for the rode. and just started anchoring (always went back to the dock) last year. so I am wondering where the water goes when the rode is wet when it comes back into the locker? Also since I put the windless forward of the staysail the rode comes down in the front of the locker very near the bow. I went with a 25 ft chain and braided instead of 3 strand rode. (because every thing I read says is lays and falls better than 3 strand). Now I see I need to have someone down in the locker pulling on the rode every 10 ft or so to prevent the rode from jamming. any ideas about how to have the rode fall better? My guess is the angle is too shallow so close to the bow. but I did not want a manual like Jim Walsh has and feed the rode into the locker I looked at another install from this board but did not want a vert. windless. I bought the HRC10-8 with a CAPSTAN. I see I am also going to need to put a big U in front of the roller since the rode slips off the original bowsprit roller.
Steve Laume

Re: Anchor locker drain in CD31

Post by Steve Laume »

Cape Dory did not seem to believe in anchor locker drains. Everything goes into the bilge. It would be hard to have a large chain locker and still have it drain.

As for the original bow roller; it is next to useless. A U of some sort might help by the best thing you could do is to pitch the original roller and install one that works. You could go with Spartan or Windline. The Spartan bronze ones look nice but the Windline gives more support to the bow sprit and probably works better with a variety of anchors. I went with the Windline and had to make cut outs for the head stay fitting and pin but it is a fine roller.

I am still pulling my rode by hand and a couple hundred feet of three strand and 90 feet of chain always falls into place without any heroics, Steve.
robryan

Post by robryan »

Steve:

thank for the reply. now at least I know it does not just sat there. I looked in the locker on the 4th when I was there and it was dry so that was good. now i know where it went.

I think yo are right about the bowsprit roller. another person who had a CD30 mentioned spartan I went to the site and saw the bronze roller with the sorta H in the air. I really do not think it will work. I will probably get a SS trough with SS roller with a big lip to work with my new Vulcan 12. again thanks for the reply
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

I think Mr Alberg meant for us to sun-dry our ground tackle, so that's what I have been doing.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Jim Cornwell wrote:I think Mr Alberg meant for us to sun-dry our ground tackle, so that's what I have been doing.
I think Mr Alberg meant for our bilges to be wet. A deep anchor locker can not drain overboard. An anchor locker shallow enough to drain would keep the weight of chain way too high. Raven's bilge is always wet and it doesn't bother me at all. On this last trip I was having to pump the bilge every half hour because of water entering in the hause pipe. That did bother me because I would not be able to sleep without flooding the boat. I went up there and stuffed a bread bag full of rags in the hole and it solved the problem but not before dunking me to the waist. I always figure boats are supposed to be wet, Steve.