jib fairleads

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

jib fairleads

Post by pjust »

I have a 135% Genoa on my Ty. Occaisionally when I tack in gusty conditions, the jib sheets will flop around and one will get hung up on the mooring cleat in the bow or even on a cleat on the mast. Is there any reason I shouldn't screw a couple of fairleads to the deck in front of the cuddy to make the sheets behave better?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
pjust

Re: jib fairleads

Post by pjust »

Sorry! Never mind. I can see right away that that wouldn't work.
Peter Just
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

you could try wrapping a dock line around the mooring cleat to keep it from getting fouled on the jibsheets.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I have a book called 200 Essential Passagemaking Tips by Bill Seifert. In it, he provides a couple interesting ideas that address that very issue.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Thanks for the tips.

It's comforting to know that this happens to other people and isn't the product of my own very special incompetence.
Peter Just
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I think I remember this happening on our previous boat, a lovely Typhoon from the Centennial year. You could try sheeting in the lazy sheet just ahead of tacking. Playing with that a little may lessen the degree of the problem. But alas it does happen to all of us at times. Sailors have gone to great lengths to prevent sheets getting caught up - like installing pricey stainless rails around dorade vents and the like. All fine and good.

I am of the philosophy of, "It is easier to wear shoes than to carpet the world." So I look for ways to eliminate extra products or holes through the deck etc. Sometimes that means living with the issue though. Anyway, give it a try to see if that works for your Ty.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

A simple fix is to run a light line from the forestay turn buckle up to the mast just above the goose neck. Pass the sheets over it.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

I crossed my jib sheets @ the clew...starbd sheet to port and port sheet to starbd....this eliminated allot of the wild flopping about of the sheets on the deck...it reduced dramatically the number of hangups on the mast cleats....
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

I always leave one turn around the winches, it offers just enough resistance to keep the sheets away from the cleat when tacking. In light wind this does not work as well as you may have to pull the sheet for slack.
Farmer Wayne