Typhoon or CD22?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Graziella

Typhoon or CD22?

Post by Graziella »

Hello ALL,

I am new!!
I am looking for my first boat and I would love to buy a Cape Dory!! But a small one!
I was wondering if you can share with me your thoughts on the Typhoon and the CD22.
I see that almost 2000 Typhoon were built but only a few hundred CD22... do you know why?? And how complicated would be o find parts for the CD22 versus the Typhoon?

Thank you all!
:-)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Re: Typhoon or CD22?

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I started sailing with a boat club in MD that had a fleet of Cape Dorys from 27's up to 36's and chartered one of only three CD 45's. they are all great boats. Depends on what you plan on doing with the boat. If all you want is to day sail and learn to sail I'd go with the Typhoon. If you are looking to overnight a little then the 22. Think about the 22D with a diesel. They may be hard to find. Would not mind if my Typhoon had a diesel. Hate the out board hanging off the back.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

If you plan on trailering the boat the typhoon would be easier.
I love the typhoon senior(22) where the engine is in a well not hung off the stern. Not many built and available though.
Never sailed a typhoon or 22 but I am sure someone here will comment
Pete
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Definitely have a look at the TySenior. I own one and am very happy with it. Same basic hull as the 22 but has the well for the engine. Great day sailer and decent for weekend overnights. It trailers fine, I keep it at home during the winter.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

I have owned and loved both the Typhoon and the CD22.

The difference is what you would expect, more room.

My guess is that if you are young and buy a Typhoon you will soon want a bigger boat then the Typhoon.

If your older and buy a CD22 you will soon want a bigger boat then the CD22. It happens to every sailor.

If your like me and have owned bigger boats and are down sizing, you'll find the CD22 perfect.

The reason more Typhoons were built is because more were sold. People love them and never forget them after they moved on.

As far as parts are concerned, most parts that wear out like rigging, upholstery, outboard, potti, tanks, nav gear, light bulbs, and on and on are all available on line or in marine stores like Defender.

Parts like outboard mount for a Typhoon is available at Spartan and sometimes here on the board. Parts like a companion way hatch? Well, just google "building stuff from fiberglass."

I will never say a bad word about either boat.

Gary
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Besides being well built and well loved boats, the Typhoon was built for nearly 30 years, hence the large fleet.
With the limited runs of the Ty Sr & CD22, 84~87 and 81~85, they will be much rarer.
If you have any desire to overnight, I would suggest looking for a CD25.
For the record, I rented a Ty a few times and then bought one. a couple of years later I bought a 25.
Then went through 14 years of being boatless. Once back in Florida, I started over again.
Yep, bought a Ty... few years later, bought a CD25... few years after that I bought KAYLA, CD28.
When KAYLA becomes more than I feel safe handling, I'll probably look for CD25 or Ty again.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Graziella

Post by Graziella »

Hello ALL,

Thanks a lot for getting back to me!! This is really helpful!
I feel that a 25 would be too big for me as a first boat... but I am afraid that a typhoon may be kind of small after a bit...so... uhm... eeeee....well, I think I need to see the 22, that would probably help to make a decision!

Thank you again! I am sure I'll be back soon with other questions and hope you will help again!
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Couple of questions and comments:

1) what other boats have you sailed before?
2) what did you like about the sailing characteristics of those boats?
3) have you ever sailed a full keel boat before?

I own a 22, and have sailed a Typhoon a few times. This is my 5th boat the others gave been 22 and 28 foot fin keeled, although I have sailed on centerboard boats before, Catalina 22 and Oday 20.

As others have said the Ty is smaller of course but it seems to have somewhat less weatherhelm than the 22. My experience in the 22 is that in anything over 12 knots the weather helm goes up exponentially and you are really pulling on that tiller, creating more drag, and honestly getting tired. keeping the boat flatter helps, but I singlehand so I end up reefing and that helps tremendously. I've played with the rig a bit but there isn't much to adjust its inherent in the design. Down below the interior is beautiful but quite cramped. Hence the CD25 suggestion by some people. If a Ty is like camping oin a 2 man tent, the 22 is probably like a 6 man tent, while the 25 is like being in a small pop-up trailer.

The side decks on the 22 are very tight for maneuvering given the shroud location and due to that the job sheeting angles aren't that great. The cockpit is small, and the main sheet angle makes the aft portion of the cockpit a bit cramped if you're sitting on the leeward side.

It sails like a big boat in that it plows thru the waves. Full keel boats diner seem to point as well vs fin keeled, if you're not racing than it's not a problem but depending upon your home waters it can be a factor.

It may seem that I'm critical of the boat. I do like it a lot but it has some design compromises you should be aware of. If you're looking for a knockabout boat that you aren't going to race, do mainly day sailing or a few overnight trips (think camping analogy) then this can work. Honestly there are other 22 footers with better sailing characteristics and/or better interior space, but none as beautiful.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

If it were me, I would find something with a centerboard if I was going to have a trailerable boat to learn on. Or, I would join a sailing association that had something like a typhoon to rent. Then when you are comfortable, buy something that you can comfortably sleep on and keep on a mooring. Im biased because I own one, but the CD 27 is a mega yacht compared to a CD22 or a CD25. You can actually go places in it and feel safe with that inboard diesel.
Getting back to the centerboard option... that opens up a whole new world of sailing to some far off sandy beach and pulling her nose up on the sand and having a nice beach party. You can't do that with a typhoon and if you did, you'd need a dinghy, which would be ridiculous to pull behind such a small boat.

just my 10 cents.
Graziella

Post by Graziella »

Soooo....

1) what other boats have you sailed before?
I usually race on a Cal39, Express 27 and J105... they are great for racing... but I am not planning on racing with my boat. My dream is to sail the across the ocean in the future and I want to practice on a boat with full keel...stable and strong...and I want to buy it because you will never have the opportunity to really dig into every single aspect of a boat...until you own one...

2) what did you like about the sailing characteristics of those boats?
They are cool...but for racing...

3) have you ever sailed a full keel boat before?
Yep, the last one was an Alpa 9.5, very famous boat in Italy

Re being small boats... I am small as well, 5.2 for 108lbs, so I am not worried about space!
:-)
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I've never owned a Typhoon, but I think you would be very happy with one. Last weekend, just outside Cuttyhunk harbor, my CD 33 crossed paths with
a Typhoon cutting through the waves on a close reach. We raised hands to each other and I thought "what a pretty, simple boat and what a
happy crew!".
As mentioned, the only drawback is the trailering aspect. If you get a yard to launch and retrieve, you'll be all set. If it were
my boat, I would either have no outboard or a very small one. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Graziella

Post by Graziella »

Thank you!! And Happy 4th everyone! :-)
casampson

Post by casampson »

I own a Typhoon and really enjoy it. I thought about upgrading to a Typhoon Senior, because they are beautiful, but decided against it. For one thing, the Typhoon is easily trailerable and fits snugly in the corner of my driveway. For another, the mast is easy to step and costs nothing to do it. I've stepped the mast on a Ty Senior using an A-frame, and it was dicey at best. Actually, it scared the hell out of me. So, from a practicality point of view, the Typhoon wins hands down. The Ty Senior or CD 22 seems to be about four times the size of the Typhoon when you look at them out of the water, and I just didn't want the extra work. Plus, I have no intentions of spending the night on a boat, so the extra cabin space is not a consideration, at least for me. Finally, I've raced a Ty Senior in my Typhoon a few times and actually won once or twice.

And you can get a Typhoon for about one-third the cost of a CD 22 or Ty Senior. From my point of view, it's an easy decision to make.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

I owned a CD22 for 8 seasons and also a typhoon....

If you want alittle more comfort the 22 is the way to go

I thought the typhoon sailed better than the 22...it found the groove and stayed there while the 22 leaned over more and developed too much weather helm

On the negative side the typhoon can be wet.....meaning waves will end up in your face....just saying....

I own a hunter 35.5 legend and am currently looking for a typhoon or ty sr.....best to you
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have been sailing my whole life and have owned boats from 21 feet to 34 feet and currently have a Typhoon as a second boat. I love my Typhoon!!! However I keep it on a dock and only use an electric motor to go to and from the marina to launch and recover (spring and fall) as well as when I am sailing and the wind dies. If you are trailering the boat you should start with a centerboard boat (light, easier to step the mast etc. But if you have a mooring or dock go for the Typhoon - then when you get "bigboatitis" keep the Ty because it sails like a big boat! Put a roller furler on it for the genoa. As for motor - if you get a 2 or 3 hp long shaft that is light you can leave it below until needed so the motor on the stern doesn't detract from the appearance of such a pretty boat. Just my thoughts because everyone is different in their sailing needs. If you ant to go cruising you might want a bigger boat with at least sitting headroom.