CD25D cutlass bearing replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CaptPepa

CD25D cutlass bearing replacement

Post by CaptPepa »

So the motor is out and the propeller and shaft are pulled. What I read about removal and replacement of the cutlass bearing is to loosen the set screws. I am a newbie, but cannot find set screws. Are they buried under body putty like the heel shoe rivets? are they inside the hull aft of the stuffing box apparatus? Is the bearing always replaced "just because"? I'm hoping to splash yet this summer for a short season. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Bill in Nebraska
steveg

Re: CD25D cutlass bearing replacement

Post by steveg »

Hey Bill,

There is a discussion you can find with the search tool. Search for the terms cutlass bearing set screw. Tried posting the link unsuccessfully. Good luck.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

Hi Bill,

I replaced the cutlass bearing on my 25D a few years ago and had similar questions. To the best of my recollection here is a recap and a few pics of my experience:

- replaced the bearing because of the play with the shaft (bearing was visibly worn) could move well over 1/8+ inch around. Also, had pulled the engine so it was the time to do it.
- I think I recall finding 1 set screw only, ground away quite a bit trying to find the other other side and to get old bearing out.
- pulling the old bearing was tough. Ended up cutting it with a hack saw blade down the middle of the bottom entire length, very carefully so as not to go into the glass. Once cut, used needle nose pliers to curl up inwards on each side where cut and then pulling it out. It out was still tough to get out. Not sure what they used when it was originally put in.
- Getting new bearing in was also tough. Ended up (per yard mechanics suggestion) sanding the shaft hole a bit. Also, since the shaft was out, could use home made device to push the bearing in (2 aluminum plates, hole in center of each, 10" bolt, nuts, secured nut inside with vice grips, and used wrench outside to turn bolt and gently push bearing in. Gratifying maneuver.
- Drilled/tapped new set screw holes.
- installed set screws, though question if they were really necessary as it was so tough getting the bearing in.
-Filled in/fared ground out areas with epoxy. Took pictures so next owner, when faced with replacing bearing, had a good starting point.
- Has worked fine for 3 seasons now, couple hundred hours of engine time.

Thanks

Skip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Capt Bill

I had three set screws and a fine SS wire backing them, I guess so they couldn't work their way out? I followed pretty much the same process described by Capt Skip.

Good luck & Fair Winds

Bill
Bill Member #250.