Better AM/FM portable radio for the boat?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jen1722terry

Better AM/FM portable radio for the boat?

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey fellow members,

Hope you're all in the water and enjoying the new season. Jenn and I are still on the hard at Robinhood, having returned late from Nova Scotia. We hope to be in in a week or so.

Anyhow, we must have the world's crappiest portable radio aboard Glissade. It's gets fair to lousy reception, is old and rather prone to eating up batteries.

Our question is: has anyone found a decently priced AM/FM portable radio that they like? We're looking for reasonably good sound and good reception. It can be larger or smaller, just something that works.

Thanks in advance for the advice, and do enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Lisa G.

Re: Better AM/FM portable radio for the boat?

Post by Lisa G. »

I got rid of the radio on Pochade and use a portable blue tooth JBL speaker and use Pandora music app or music downloaded on my phone . Never have reception problems and since you create your own stations, you always have the kind of music you like to hear. It is also nice that friends that come aboard can share their playlist .
Pandora is a free or you can pay a nominal monthly charge for commercial free.

Wishing you a fabulous season.

Lisa
CD30c Pochade
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I am a relative music head so this is important to me aboard. No recommendation for a portable radio but if you go the bluetooth speaker route and music service like Pandora or Apple Music (which I have and like) I strongly recommend a UE Boom 2 bluetooth speaker. Waterproof, great sound and long battery life.
Paul
CDSOA Member
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

There is a GE branded radio called the Superadio III. It can pull in distant radio stations fairly well. It's a big ole radio with a heavy magnet speaker. I use it in my boat and for camping, etc. I also have an iPod touch with Bluetooth speaker.

Personally I think the best setup is a built-in system with speakers hard wired/mounted.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Rick wrote:There is a GE branded radio called the Superadio III.
I've owned a Superadio since 2002. It requires six (6) D-Cell Batteries, but they do last a very long time. While the reception is good, I found the analog controls to be cheap and have failed over time, making it difficult to retain tuning and volume.

Now I have a Sangean H201 Waterproof Radio. It uses two (2) D-Cell batteries, which also last a long time. The reception is good and the digital controls never have a problem. It claims to actually float, is submersible and meets JIS7 waterproofing standards that are equal to marine grade radios, although I haven't personally tested these features. :wink:

There is also a newer model, Sangean H202 that has AM/FM, Bluetooth and Weather:
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jenn and Terry
Even though I don't have the electrical system on the Far Reach to support what an audiophile would require I have a very simple yet flexible system that more than meets my needs.

I have a Sony 7600GR shortwave radio which also has AM and FM bands. It operates off AA batteries, which never seem to go dead. On its own the sound is not great. But, I purchased a rechargeable Bose Color Soundlink speaker. I plug it into the Sony and Bob's your uncle, it has outstanding hi-fidelity sound.

I recharge the speaker with a plug in inverter powered by my 100aH gel-cell charged by a semi flexible 30 watt panel. The Bose happens to be blue tooth capable but I always seem to use the plug-in speaker cord even when using it with my iPhone or nano.

The nice thing about the Sony 7600gr paired with the Bose speaker is I get great reception and sound even when offshore listening to Chris Parker WX, the CG High Seas Forecast, other HF traffic, or music via the shortwave broadcasts.

There are certainly more elaborate systems but I am delighted with this set-up. I think you can purchase a new 7600 for under $150.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jen and Terry:

Whatever radio you get, STAY AWAY from the Midland NOAA Model No. ER 102. Photo below. It is the worst radio I have ever bought. Sadly, the fault rests solely with me.

I was looking for a new "hurricane radio", one that would be dependable during and following a hurricane when I would not have electricity for several days or longer. In looking at the specs I knew this Midland was powered by only 2 AA batteries. Too little power for a portable radio when you want NOAA weather reports, etc. That was my mistake no. 1. Interestingly, even on AC power it had limited radio output.

I also did not check where the radio was mfg. If I had, I would NEVER have purchased it. It is mfg. in China :!: Most on this board know my feelings about products mfg. in China. They are essentially worthless - with the acknowledged rare exception. That was my mistake no. 2. :cry:

The Sangean radios referenced by Hilbert look nice. I will check them further. Anybody know where they are mfg. :?:

I have a small Sony portable waterproof radio (3 C batteries; no AC) that I have had for more than 20 years. It works perfectly and easily picks up NOAA channels. To plagiarize a mfg. of watches "it takes a beating and keeps on ticking". Sadly, it is no longer mfg. and I can't find any on website after market sales.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Roberto,

Sangean is a Taiwanese company.
http://sg.sangean.com.tw/company/about_us.asp

Although the battery compartment is designed for 2 D-Cells, one can always make use of AA to D-Cell adapters.
Rechargeable AA batteries do an admirable job.

Jonathan
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Reception depends on where you are (remember FM is line of sight), and the sensitivity of the receiver, and antenna location. I have always had a "shore to ship" radio on board. I simply go to Radio Shack or similar and buy the cheapest AM/FM radio, typically paying 12-25 dollars, sometimes I go to yard sales or the salvation army. All have worked well and all die when splashed by seawater, but at these prices it is a big "no never mind". It is, no doubt, obvious that I am not an audiofile (haha).

Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

It's not a portable but last summer we installed a "Kenwood KMM-BT515HD" automotive receiver. It has builtin bluetooth, USB and a decent FM receiver, I haven't actually tried AM. It will play MP3s from USB stick. The user interface for USB stored music is not great especially if you have a large music collection. Playing music via bluetooth on an Android phone is much easier. The unit is installed down below and there are two small bookshelf speakers (Radio Shack) that came with the boat. There is an automotive whip antenna laying horizontal hidden behind some trim, this was installed by a previous owner. The antenna install seems odd but it works well so I haven't felt any need to "fix" it.

This unit replaced a Pioneer CD auto receiver that served us well for about 12 years and still worked fine, it just didn't have bluetooth or USB.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Rich
That's funny about the antenna in your boat baying on a shelf. I have a friend with a boat in St Thomas and he has a similar set up -- the antenna is laying horizontal on a shelf behind the settee and it pulls in stations all over loud and clear.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

hilbert wrote:Now I have a Sangean H201 Waterproof Radio. It uses two (2) D-Cell batteries, which also last a long time. The reception is good and the digital controls never have a problem. It claims to actually float, is submersible and meets JIS7 waterproofing standards that are equal to marine grade radios, although I haven't personally tested these features
Jonathan:

I think I know your answer but what is your overall assessment of the Sangean radio :?: Importantly, knowing what you now know based on your use, etc., would you buy another one :?: I want to get something that will stay aboard and easily pick of FM/NOAA channels.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Roberto, yes I would buy it again. In fact, I would like to have the newer model with Bluetooth and NOAA alert.
The water resistant design, clock, LED light and built in timer are all well suited to a boat.
I use the radio everyday and I can't remember the last time that I replaced the batteries.
There is also an external AC power adapter available, but this is not included.
The FM antenna is a wire that can be coiled away into the battery compartment.
As for quality, I would say that it is on par with products that are manufactured in Japan.

Jonathan