Typhoon hatch trim: bed it?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben Miller

Typhoon hatch trim: bed it?

Post by Ben Miller »

In the process of giving my Typhoon a good rub-down I removed the two strips of teak that hold down the companionway hatch. They don't seem to have been bedded in anything, nor was there any kind of sealant around the screws. Are these pieces screwed into solid fiberglass, or should I seal this up when I put it back together?
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon hatch trim: bed it?

Post by Ben Miller »

Since they say a photo's worth 1,000 words, here's the area I'm talking about.

There was a lot of dirt trapped between the trim piece and the raised area of the cabin top, which I cleaned up, but like I say, no sealant of any type. It's been this way for a while (5 years+) so if it hasn't done any damage yet, I guess it probably won't do any in the future. Still, I'd be interested in a second opinion. Should I bed this trim in something?

P.S. I apologize for the lack of sparkliness on my deck. I'm working on it!
Attachments
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg (226.02 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Ben,

I recently removed most of the teak on my 1978 Typhoon other than the rub and toe rail and was surprised at the lack of caulk. The coaming board was the only trim with significant caulk. It was old and brittle and didn't hinder removal much. I used butyl tape when replacing the coaming boards and nothing on any of the pieces. They were all so easy to remove I thought it would be easy to add later if it seemed to be needed. Haven't noticed any leaking issues so far.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Good enough for me. Thanks Joe!
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

Just did my CD 22. I used LifeCaulk to be safe.