What size Rocna anchor is best for CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Astronomertoo

Re: What size Rocna anchor is best for CD28

Post by Astronomertoo »

Pembquist wrote:I'm planning on upgrading my anchor to a Rocna and I own a CD 28 like the original post. This is what I am thinking: Rocna 10, 200' of 1/4 galv grade 40 chain, 200' 1/2" 3 strand. How does that sound?Is that much weight on the bowsprit and in the chain locker going to hurt trim? The Rocna sizing guide makes a big deal out of describing itself as being conservative and it says a Rocna 10 is sized for a 9 meter boat with a displacement of less than or equal to 5 metric tons that's 29 1/2 feet and 11023 lbs, the CD 28 is 28' and 9000 displacement. The anchor weighs 22 lb. Planning on buying a windline or lewmar anchor roller to stow the anchor, they aren't that light either.

I am not experienced would welcome opinions. Planning on sailing in the Puget sound to Gulf Islands, further north as experience accumulates.
-----------------------
I have commented here before on this subject. I am currently still reworking an older, smaller CD25. I can use a stern mounted small Fortress for a lunch hook, or chasing scallops on calm days. But I wanted a better all around storm anchor than my current largest Danforth 13S for my sailing area with rocks and sand. I never liked hanging and manhandling a Danforth with hooks on the bow rail. I had loved my old real Bruce 22 with a big Windline SS anchor roller on a previous 27 fter for 6 years, and went thru a few good storms with it. They are no longer made. I can tell you the new Chinese copies of the same size "Bruce" are poor copies which are cast with all rounded front edges. My real one was sharp edged, better made, set quickly, and always reset in daily tidal changes on the east coast of Florida. So I will NOT buy a new one in 16# as I had planned. I agree with you guys that there are plenty of smaller anchors that will keep us happy on most nights away from the dock. I did review all the anchor tests out there, new designs compared to the older, and settled on either a Rockna or a Spade. Some of this group believe more in the Spade. I researched it for me and settled on the Spade Galv S60 (22#). We picked ours up in person on a day trip from the importer over on the east coast of Florida in Palm Bay Florida. Price was $299.99 plus tax, lifetime warrantee.
I could not verify a proper fit for that anchor with the larger SS anchor rollers carried by Defender, sight unseen. I needed the longest possible mount to bolt up off center on my smaller foredeck. I contacted Kingston anchors up in Ontario on line, and was advised the adjustable roller for that style anchor would be their King Vulcan Roller 9 to 20 kg, Item No SPKV-920-EP for over $350 Canadian. Defender was very helpful and special ordered it for me (total $310 US delivered) from Kingston and I received it in a week. It will be a while before I get to test the system in the water, but I think I will not worry about storms on the little 25, or with the possibility of a later move up to a CD26/27/28 in the future. The SS Roller mount has one fixed, and one adjustable roller, and is 3" wide, and 30 " long.
Best wishes
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Astronomertoo wrote: I researched it for me and settled on the Spade Galv S60 (22#).
BobC
I can vouch for the Spade. My experience has been that it sets immediately and holds tenaciously. I also have a Mantus which has performed as well as my Spade.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

As far as I know the Mantus is basically a knockoff of the Rocna; and the Spade is similar but without the roll bar that prevents the Rocna and the Mantus from settling on the bottom upside down and therefore not digging in.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

riveredge wrote:As far as I know the Mantus is basically a knockoff of the Rocna; and the Spade is similar but without the roll bar that prevents the Rocna and the Mantus from settling on the bottom upside down and therefore not digging in.
Precisely why they were my choice. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

Okay. Well I think the Rocna/Mantus design is superior unless one's bow roller won't work with it.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Two things you don't bring up in the company of other sailors: varnish and anchoring.

Good luck!

Bob Ohler CD30 (w/ 22# Bruce and 30' - 3/8" chain. It works!)
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

A Bruce? You've got to be kidding! actually I'm kidding. Sorry if I started sounding argumentative. Every man is entitled to his own religious beliefs, his own political philosophy and his own anchor. By the way I have a used 25 lb. cqr in perfect shape and in need of a good boat. Please send offers.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Never drags. I have watched it reset in 180 degree wind shifts. Perfect for the muddy bottom of the Chesapeake.

The reason they call some of them "plow anchors" is because they make furrows, but you gotta love the way they fit a lot of bowsprit rollers.

Varnish and locked or free wheeling props is up next.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

C'mon. Everybody knows there is only one way to varnish.
rorik

Post by rorik »

Pour yourself a tall drink, spend a couple hours....

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... r-geekdom/
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

I'm looking at the 25lb. Mantus for my CD26.