CD 27 Throttle & Shift Controls Problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

CD 27 Throttle & Shift Controls Problem

Post by Richard G. »

Recently a situation has developed that when I shift from forward to reverse the throttle is also moved aft, past the neutral position killing the engine. This of course at the critical moment of turning into the slip when I need to have good forward momentum on the boat to be able to compensate for a strong cross wind in the final seconds of docking and then needing reverse to stop the boat before plowing into the dock.

I have had JOHNNY G with its YSB 8hp Yanmar for about 25 years and this is a recent development. Any ideas? Also, has anyone gone from the dual control set up to a single lever system?

Thanks.

Richard
CD 27 Hull #66
Maine_Buzzard

Re: CD 27 Throttle & Shift Controls Problem

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Super curious that this has begun with an existing system- Can you clarify what the current throttle setup is? one or two lever on the pedestal or on a cockpit side? Sounds like you might have a two lever cockpit mount shifter.

Was any work done on it recently?

https://www.amazon.com/lever-mount-mari ... ifash06-20
Awfully simple!

If it's this one, I would suspect that the bushings in the control are lacking lube, and the throttle stop adjustment needs to be corrected so that the idle is the correct speed.

Shifting to reverse is dragging the throttle back and the engine idle may be set too low.

Unhook the cables at both ends and verify proper operation of the throttle and shift cables- No binding?

Check the throttle (smooth?) and shifter (drops in gear with a solid chunk?)

Check operation of the throttle and shift arms. smooth and independent?

With the throttle and shifter cables detached, start the engine and warm it up. Run the throttle by hand and verify that the idle speed is correct. Adjusting the stop screw on the high pressure fuel pump throttle arm might be the simple fix.

Single Lever?

The Vetus single lever deliberately does not move the throttle until fully shifted in, and was needed for a MD7 to Beta conversion. The old shifter moved the throttle as it shifted, and the Volvo was able to tolerate a "backswing" throttle movement in neutral, and then would start advancing the throttle from idle after. Adjustment was finicky.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?pid=11792

So both styles do exist...

A two lever system should be totally independent, and if it's happening, there might be something very wrong with the lockout. Can you leave it in neutral and advance the throttle? (Usually a pushbutton needs to be engaged for this on a single lever.)

Check that the throttle does not move until it's in gear. Any chance you can post a video?
I'd be looking for a cracked plastic part, missing E-ring, or other mechanical defect in a side mount shifter on a benchtop.

If a similar engine owner can confirm that with a single lever it shifts, then moves the throttle, that would be a big assist.

Thumbs up on the $300 Vetus shifter if you wish to switch. Replace the Morse cables at the same time, 25 year old ones have earned their keep!
James
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Dear James,

Thanks for the ideas. I will double check the two lever set up applying your thoughts/ideas. Also appreciate the link to the single lever, am giving that a lot of consideration.

Thanks again,

Richard
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

"Has there been any work done lately..." is an excellent question.

A few years ago, I had some work done on my boat which required that the whole shifter/throttle be removed. Next time I was at the boat, went to start engine and it wouldn't start. I was confounded and asked the yard manager about it. Turns out they had installed the mechanism upside down so when I tried to start, the throttle was actually closing off the fuel supply!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Thanks for your post...no, no work has been done but I am going to check the set up on the throttle setting on the cable to see if I can increase the idle a bit and see if that helps.

Best,

Richard
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Hey Richard- any results? Always love to hear what it really was!

I was a big fan of Click and Clack's "Stump the Chumps".
Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

I too have been a long time fan of Tom and Ray.

My plan is to try and increase the idle which I have not yet done but I have had one successful voyage and one in which I killed the engine in reverse but saved the day nonetheless by grabbing a stern dock line to halt the boat. I may decide to go to a single control system. Looking at a couple of options.

At this point I think I am the chump that has been stumped!

R
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Richard ... same thing has happened to my CD27 levers ... they bind. Cant for the life of me even figure out how to disassemble the unit ...

i'll post again if I discover a fix

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay