Loose tiller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

Loose tiller

Post by Big E »

So I need to replace the key that keeps the tiller aligned with the rudder. The ultimate question is can I do this project while the boat is in the water? I'm fearing that the rudder post will pop off once the housing is removed. Also, does anyone know the size of the key itself on a cd25? Any responses are greatly appreciated...Time is of the essence, she goes in the drink on the 10th.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Loose tiller

Post by jbenagh »

The rudder will not fall off; the shoe keeps it attached. Still, I imagine this is much easier with the boat on the hard. In the water the rudder shaft is going to want to move unless it's a calm day.

I'm not sure on the size, but if I remember right, the key on my CD25 was offset so that the tiller pointed straight when the rudder did. You might want to check that. Do you have the old key? I believe a machine shop could just make you one. H&H Propeller in Salem might do that kind of work.

Jeff
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Thanks, Jeff! I pulled the trigger & bought a brand new Tohatsu 6. Can't wait to get out there again! See ya soon!
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I've mentioned this before but I've been frustrated with the same issue. Now, since there appears to be some solution, how would you remove the tiller head (not sure that's correct nomenclature)?

Thanks
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

If memory serves, on the CD25 the tiller head is connected by two machine screws to the tiller. The tiller head is connected to the rudder shaft with a clamp bolt and a set screw. Once these are loosened some gentle tapping from below and possibly some gentle heat (like from an electric heat gun, not a propane torch) got it free.

I did this once, 8 years ago on a boat I last sailed 6 1/2 years ago so this might not be exactly right. I do remember being surprised by the set screw after I tried to free it up for a little while. This was a 1975 CD25 which I don't think used Spartan products yet.

Jeff
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Thanks Jeff, I'll try that
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Once you are sure of the key size you can order one from McMaster-Carr for a lot less money and hassle than getting a machine shop to mill you one.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

John Stone wrote:Once you are sure of the key size you can order one from McMaster-Carr for a lot less money and hassle than getting a machine shop to mill you one.
Just note that McMaster has a $25 minimum order...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

If it's a standard square key every hardware store has a selection. No need to order or manufacture one.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim is right. A good non big box store should have an assortment of keys. But if they don't you can find whatever you need at McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-keys/=17jgr2o

As far as a minimum order . . . you might ask them. I have odered less than $25 on occasion.

But what self respecting sailboat owner can't find plenty of essential boat project supplies to add to the order. Fasteners galore; G10 (1/4" makes terrific backing plates); the best abrasives available from from high speed grinder disk to RO sander disks to square paper abrasives for varnish work; and don't forget the spring-pins that connect the two haves of our deck hatches; or cotter pins for rigging, etc.

So don't let a min $25 stop ya. :wink:
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Good Points John

I don't think I've ever ordered anything from McMaster Car, Defender, et al that has been less than $25.

My wife will be happy to attest to that! (not happy with me however)
Cliff

― André Gide
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

I just placed an order from them for less than $25.
Having the same issue with my CD26. This is my first time sailing her and first time out no steering, fun times. Seems to me the key I have is too small so I ordered some brass key stock and I'm going to do some customizing myself. The tiller cap fits rather loosely over the rudder post and the 1/4" x 1/4" key doesn't engage the cap keyway enough and slips past when the rudder is under pressure. My thinking is to make a key 1/4" x 3/8" or so. I'll keep you posted.

RUDDER CAP VIDEO
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

***UPDATE***
Key made 1/4" x 3/8" for my Cape Dory 26. Fits great can't wait to try it out on the bay!
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

New key is working great!
MAKING A NEW RUDDER KEY