Second Leg: Biloxi to Barber Marina

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Last Call

Second Leg: Biloxi to Barber Marina

Post by Last Call »

The night was cold and I was anxious so slept little and checked the anchor a lot. I noted several landmarks before going below, lights that are flashing help as well as stars but the stars move with time. I could watch the barge traffic so that was also a 'mark' to help tell if I was dragging as the marks will change in relation to each other when that happens.
Up at dawn, had left over coffee from the thermos, just barely warm. Checked the weather and the winds were still NW due to swing to NE and E during the day. Wanted to get across the Bay and into the ICW at Bon Secour before the E wind took hold. Got the motor started, anchor up with some large glops of bayou mud attached, dunked most off but dumped it in the well to clean up later. Wind was light round 5kts and waves were about 1 ft. Passed under the DI bridge as the sun was coming up and found the wind and waves continued to be light. Headed east winding my way through the Oil and Gas wells. Almost ran though a fish haven as the signage was all on the east side. Wandered around a bit getting though the wells as went a bit farther south than planned, might have been the tide going out. Long traverse under motor as did not want to mess about with trying to sail in light conditions and all the structures in the south bay. Motor, Motor, Motor...little one lunger did its job with no complaints. Into the ICW 'ditch' finally around 3 and the wind was continuing from the N but swinging a bit more and finally got some from the E, SE, not enough room to tack and mostly on the nose.
Ashby and CI came out to meet me at the Gulf Expressway bridge and led me into the marina. Got tied up stern to and all lines sorted out then had a nice glass of wine with snacks on their boat. Sunset and I was in the berth alseep, making up for the previous night.