Last Call sailing from Biloxi Ms, to Barbers Marine

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Last Call

Last Call sailing from Biloxi Ms, to Barbers Marine

Post by Last Call »

Will be sailing Last Call from Biloxi to Barbers this weekend, planning to leave early Friday and overnight at Dauphin Island then across Mobile Bay on Saturday. Winds are predicted to be around 10-15 and somewhat favorable NW or SE. Just hoping not to have dead on E winds for the ICW. Anyone out and about this weekend come sail away.... Last Call is a CD25D sail # 26, in a previous life was known as GiGi and owned by Mac Williams when berthed in Fairhope.
David Patterson

Re: Last Call sailing from Biloxi Ms, to Barbers Marine

Post by David Patterson »

Enjoy the cruise. I hope you post about it. I'm curious about the ICW. David on CD25D CLOUD GIRL
Last Call

Re: Last Call sailing from Biloxi Ms, to Barbers Marine

Post by Last Call »

Left Point Cadet heading out westward end of the harbor around 8am on Friday April 7th, Wind NW, predicted 8-13. Ran aground at #34 as i thought was in the channel but turned too soon. Had to call Sea Tow (PC harbor did not know the number but Ocean Springs did help) as could not back off or twist out as I can with the Columbia. Cost BIG cruising bucks for a 15 min tow. Back underway with main up, around 10am. Once in the channel fouled the genoa with the winds from aft. Got that un-fouled and then the wind died (why couldn't that have happened with I was aground?). Just south of Deer Island east point there was a huge dredge across the channel. Manuevered around that (had a metal round bouy out on one side and dredge on the other and I was concerned going through so went around).
Finally sailing again south of Deer, and at the ICW around 1pm. Wind continued to be NW so a good running reach downwind. Waves were around 2-3 feet but built through the day. Lots of barge traffic so kept a good lookout and stayed just outside the channel. Wanted to stop at Horn but did not want to be anchored on a lee shore so kept going. Followed one barge then another and had no trouble finding the 'turn' at Pascagoula, but there seem to be fewer marks than the last time I was h40ere (over 10 yrs and several hurricanes ago). Ships coming into the shipping lane around Petit Bois one empty, one going out full. More barge traffic as I got closer to Dauphin. Got to the #40 DI channel mark and the sun was beginning to set. Managed to pull in the RF genoa even going downwind (NW) and continued on with main. Wanted to find the channel mark for DI but the sun set and with the problems of skinny water and not wanting another call for a tow, decided to put the anchor down on the south side of the channel. Winds predicted to continue out of the north so felt safe doing that. Got the anchor down, holding well, got the main down and tied up and finally was able to get some food (had forgotten to put my snacks in a cooler in the cockpit so had only water all day). Hung a lantern on the bow for anchor light and set the alarm for every two hours. Got a little bit of sleep and got warm in the sleeping bag finally (temps were cool and it got cold as the sun went down). Think I got about 2 hrs sleep through the night as I woke often even without the alarm to check for dragging and watch the barges go past. You can hear/feel them before you notice them as they have a deep throated diesel growl. Hoped for a good day next for the trip across Mobile Bay.