Tohatsu...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Big E
Salem, MA

Tohatsu...

Post by Big E »

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a brand new outboard to power my CD25. Right now my eye is on aTohatsu 6hp 4 stroke. Any Thoughts?
hinmo

Re: Tohatsu...

Post by hinmo »

BLUF: I will be in the minority. I had a tough time with my last one.

That said, I think that most everyone here and on most forums agree the 6hp Tohatsu is the standard.

My problems were lack of use and Ethanol. The newer 4-strks are choked up for EPA regs and the eth really effects them (IMHO). For my small outboards this year, I am going to get some eth free gas..see site here:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MA).

some of its pretty cheap, last i checked the racing fuels is about $10/gal

again, I will be in the minority

(ps - whats the old engine?)
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

2 stroke evinrude 6...circa 197? Sick of carb rebuilds, pull cord recoil issues, and NOISE!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

A 6hp 4-stroke Nissan/Tohatsu worked great for me on my CD25. Since our bay is brackish, I never left the engine in the well. Between me being lazy and the engine sleeping quite comfy on the cabin sole, I sailed in and out of my slip most of the time. :D
When truly needed, it was quite easy to put in the well and it performed superbly. Please note, I NEVER put ethanol-laced fuel into anything that won't "use it all" within a few weeks :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Excellent motor, but be aware of the Ethanol problem. If you have to use the stuff, try to get rid of it regularly. I put mine in the car after about a month or so. Also if you aren't going to use the engine for a couple days I suggest you disconnect the fuel hose with the engine running and let it run dry.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

I purchased a new 6HP 4 stroke Tohatsu 25 inch shaft for my 1979 CD 25 last summer and have very happy with it I only use ethanol free gas that I buy for about $4 a gallon at a local gas station here in Savannah. I get full hull speed - about 5.5 - 6 knots at about 40 -50 % throttle. My only reservation is the 25 inch is so long it is unwieldy lifting it out of the well. The weight is OK - abut 60 lbs, but the length makes it difficult. The 20 inch shaft is probably less problematic.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

bgephart wrote: The 20 inch shaft is probably less problematic.
That is very true. The 20" shaft is what I used with no problems.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Next month I plan to order this model for my 26.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
SAIL1
SEASPRITE

Post by SAIL1 »

I have used a 6hp 4str nissan/tohatsu for over 12yrs. Had it in the water all year round. Used the same gas for approx 3 months and sometimes longer. I avoided the problems associated with ethanol and never had to take the carborator apart for cleaning.

1. Made an extra effort to run the motor dry after each use.

2. Each season on average I treated the motor with the following mixture.
mix 1/2 gal gas w/ 5oz(approx) of Techron...that is about 10 times the recommened conc.
run motor @ idle for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs....repeat if necessary...dump remaining mixture into
your automobile.
At about 45min the motor may begin to run rough as any buildup in the carborator begins to
soften up, but eventually clears up.
3. Continous all season gas mix is approx 2 oz of Techron(2 times recommended use) per gal of gas
plus a gas stabilizer.
When the motor begins to idle rough it is usually a signal that the carborator is beginning to get gummed up. These 4strs, as already mentioned, are sensitive to ethanol and require this added attention.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Tim Mertinooke wrote:Next month I plan to order this model for my 26.
Just for grins, giggles and few hundred bucks... you might want to check these folks out:
http://www.sportmandiri.com/products/20 ... Motor.html
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

mgphl52 wrote: you might want to check these folks out:
http://www.sportmandiri.com/products/20 ... Motor.html
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to give them a call to price out shipping costs. The onlineoutboard price included shipping.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
danhanlon

Post by danhanlon »

Big E,

I purchased a Tohatsu 4 stroke 6hp a couple of seasons back to replace the original 1978 Johnson 9.9. What a difference. The Tohatsu has so much more power. So much more power in fact, that the first time I used it I rammed my neighbors outboard. Ouch!!. So a couple of thoughts: 1. I got the 25" shaft because it was the only way to get the sail prop. As someone else here mentioned, the shorter shaft is preferred. 2. I ordered it from Outboards.com. Quick delivery, no issues. 3. Make sure there is a Tohatsu dealer in you general vacinity, just in case. 4. I have had no issues the ethanol infected gas we have to buy here in Chicago (Home of the World Champion Cubs). I disconnect the hose and run the engine dry after each use, and get through the most of the season on one 3 gallon fill up in early May. 5. You might consider stepping down an engine size. I have never even used 1/2 throttle with the 6hp and the boat flies at about 1/3 throttle.

Good luck
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

I've been happy with my Tohatsu SailPro. Haven't hooked up the charger yet, but will one day I suppose. Don't really use it much.

I've been getting non-ethanol gas at a local gas station (a new RaceTrac). It's about a buck more per gallon--$3.50 here in Georgia.

All the best. . .
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Tim
Did you get a response on the shipping cost from Indonesia?
Great price
Pete
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Shipping is $135.00
Arriving in 3 business days to 02066 Scituate Mass
Response to my shipping price was one day and instructions were thorough