Companionway drip.....drip.....drip

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frenchy

Re: Companionway drip.....drip.....drip

Post by Frenchy »

Jim, your project is coming along in your usual thorough style. I have one small idea to add. On a previous
boat, I had a leak in the companionway threshold area whenever there was a windy rainstorm.
It seems the water would run down the channel where the companionway boards slide and then run
up the slightly angled threshold into the interior of the boat. To fix, I epoxied in a 3/8" high strip of teak on top of
the threshold even with the interior face of the bottom companionway board. That stopped the leak.
I haven't had any leaks on my CD 33, so I'm leaving everything as is. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Frenchy wrote:Jim, your project is coming along in your usual thorough style. I have one small idea to add. On a previous
boat, I had a leak in the companionway threshold area whenever there was a windy rainstorm.
It seems the water would run down the channel where the companionway boards slide and then run
up the slightly angled threshold into the interior of the boat. To fix, I epoxied in a 3/8" high strip of teak on top of
the threshold even with the interior face of the bottom companionway board. That stopped the leak.
I haven't had any leaks on my CD 33, so I'm leaving everything as is. - Jean
Thanks Jean. That's an excellent suggestion. Steve Laume noticed I did not have one last fall and was kind enough to fabricate one out of a piece of teak. I will install it in the spring after I have gotten all my bungs in place and the final coats of varnish applied.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
SVR4

Post by SVR4 »

Jim thanks for posting this. My CD 30 has a leak through the companion way as well. It is great to learn how other people are approaching this.

Chris