Cetol Interlux Special Thinner 216

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt Hook

Cetol Interlux Special Thinner 216

Post by Capt Hook »

I'm about to bite the bullet and tackle the teak.
I bought some Cetol Marine and some Cetol Marine Gloss.
The directions for both say to use the thinner above for cleanup.
Is there anything special about it or can I use paint thinner from Home Depot?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Cetol Interlux Special Thinner 216

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook:

I have used generic acetone. I have applied it to teak that has been sanded and prepped just to make sure the teak is clean. Use a lint free cloth or wipe. I have also used acetone to clean up any droplets, spills, etc., as well as removing tape glue, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Captain Hook:

Upon further researching this issue I have discovered what I believev is a significant difference between the Interlux 216 Thinner and generic acetone.

WM sells the Interlux 216 for $28/quart. Generic acetone at a hardware store is about $7/quart. I may be wrong but I doubt the Interlux 216 Thinner is 4 times better than generic acetone.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Use anything you want for cleanup. I use acetone for cleaning up spills. However, use Interlux 333 for thinning Cetol. Only add a little at a time. You can always add a little more if needed.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Bob Ohler wrote:Use anything you want for cleanup. I use acetone for cleaning up spills. However, use Interlux 333 for thinning Cetol. Only add a little at a time. You can always add a little more if needed.
I was mainly interested in cleanup.

The directions tell me not to thin and since I'm down in sunny Nawlins hopefully the stuff won't be too thick to spread.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Any reason you are using Cetol Marine vs Cetol Natural Teak? I have used all three Cetols, original, light and natural. The natural is closest to a varnish look in finish (with the clear on top) and so far holding up pretty well.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:Any reason you are using Cetol Marine vs Cetol Natural Teak? I have used all three Cetols, original, light and natural. The natural is closest to a varnish look in finish (with the clear on top) and so far holding up pretty well.
Thought I'd like a little darker look.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

According to the data sheets 216 is mostly Xylene (not acetone) I use Xylene for Cetol cleanup.

333 is Kerosene and Naptha

Epifanes brushing thinner is mostly Naptha

Naptha and Xylene are available at Lowes and Home Depot in gallon jugs much cheaper than these proprietary thinners.
Last edited by bottomscraper on Nov 9th, '16, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
RLW

Post by RLW »

I've used a great deal of Cetol with excellent results. Given the amount of labor involved I don't pinch pennies on the materials. For my time, it's just not worth it. Detailed instructions are provided by the manufacturer. The darker versions absorb more sunlight, ie heat, and shorten the life of the coating. Even at this higher (than N.O.) latitude I have done better with the lighter colors and the uv blocking clear coat. Hope this helps...
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Yes it is true that Interlux does not suggest a thinner for Cetol. However, the pros use "333" to improve the brushability of the product.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Bob Ohler wrote:Yes it is true that Interlux does not suggest a thinner for Cetol. However, the pros use "333" to improve the brushability of the product.
Any idea what's in the 333?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I preface my comments by clearly stating I have no special skills or knowledge when it comes to teak, varnish, Cetol, etc. My experience and knowledge come solely from redoing all the teak on S/V Tadpole (my previous Cape Typhoon Weekender) and redoing the teak on S/V Bali Ha'i (my current Cape Dory 25D).

I had understood Captain Hook's original post to ask for information about solvents to be used to clean up spills, droplets, etc. This is why I recommended a generic acetone. It does the job and is much less costly than the Interlux "Special" Thinner 216. I am sure Interlux would be pleased if everyone bought their expensive brand name "Special" cleaner.

If the discussion now is about thinning either the Cetol Marine Natural Teak (CMNT) base coats or the Cetol Marine Gloss (CMG) I have never thinned either. I have not thinned because the application instructions for both CMNT and CMG say "DO NOT THIN". I am assuming this prohibition comes from some level of experience, testing, analysis of results, etc. by chemists who know their product. I have been very happy with the results on both the Ty Weekender and the CD 25D.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMDatashe ... 140625.pdf

http://www.yachtpaint.com/MPYACMDatashe ... 140625.pdf

As a side note, I have always applied three (3) coats of CMNT followed by two (2) coats of CMG and have been very happy with the longevity of the results.

Sadly, it is raining again today and I am unable to do much work on S/V Bali Ha'i. Thus the long winded post with website links. :( :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Roberto,

You know how these threads take on a life of their own.

I was sure you'd find a way to introduce the Red Sox into the discussion.

Or would the curse of the billy goat be more appropriate today?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote: I was sure you'd find a way to introduce the Red Sox into the discussion.
I was quite surprised to wake up and see that hell hadn't froze over... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

I was quite surprised to wake up and see that hell hadn't froze over... :D[/quote]

How do you know? :D
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA