Replace damaged rubrail section on CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dasein

Replace damaged rubrail section on CD25

Post by Dasein »

Good morning. There is about a 6 inch section of the rubrail (near the starboard bow) that needs to be replaced. The PO had filled the damaged area with bondo or a wood filler, but the repair was inadequate, at best. I've removed the filler to get an idea of the extent of damage (see picture). My question is: can I cut out the damaged section and replace it without removing a larger section of rubrail from the boat? I want to do the repair properly (oblique angled cut and the rest), but I am hoping to avoid adding yet another project to the list. Thanks for any advice. If removing it is what's required, then so be it.

On a side note for those undertaking a similar repair: after searching online for teak, it dawned on me in the boatyard that they had a number of abandoned boats. After speaking with the yard's owner, I found a perfect section of teak that cost me nothing.
rail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
RC James

Re: Replace damaged rubrail section on CD25

Post by RC James »

Same problem occurred w/a piling and my 25D.
Your 'worn' part sits on the surface of the larger teak rail.
Remove the outer piece (scarf saw, fine Japanese saw, etc), and replace w/your repair piece.
Short wood is harder to mold to the curve of the boat, but it can be done.
Bung the new screw holes, and you should be good to go.
Don't believe you'll find any other damage when your outer piece is removed.

Good luck
RC
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I had the same on S/V Bali Ha'i when I acquired her. There was about a 4"-6" piece of damaged teak. I did exactly as suggested by RC James. Came out fine. I saved some "teak dust" to color in the Sikaflex (I think that is what I used). Applied 3 coats Cetol Marine Natural Teak and 2 coats Cetol Gloss. If you look very closely you can see the scarfing in marks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dasein

Post by Dasein »

Thanks for the replies. I went down to the boat to take a look and unfortunately, on the 1978 25', it's mounted directly to the hull. I may need to remove around a 6' section between mid ship and bow, unless I can just remove the screws fore and aft and cut it while still attached.
rail2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v Fiji Gin
1978 CD 25
RC James

Post by RC James »

Look carefully. Your Rubrail closely approximates the 25D rubrail. I'm betting that removing the bungs and screws of the damaged piece (and perhaps a little judicious use of a heatgun and paintscraper) will allow you to remove the damaged outer piece. I, too, thought it was an integral piece when I first looked, but was happily proven wrong.

Good luck.
RC
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

My 1979 CD25 just lost 9 ft of rubrail on starboard and 7 ft on port thanks to Hurricane Matthew. Rubrail is definitely a separate piece from the toe rail and is screwed directly into the hull. Estimates for repairs of the teak are $3000 - $4000 around Savannah. Sounds crazy but that's it. Gel coat repair is another story.
RC James

Post by RC James »

You gotta love a rubrail that does its job.
Sorry to hear about the damage, but that's one tough hull.
Didn't see any holes! And Scuffed is better than Total Loss.

Best of luck.
RC
Martinhilldpo

Post by Martinhilldpo »

bgephart wrote:My 1979 CD25 just lost 9 ft of rubrail on starboard and 7 ft on port thanks to Hurricane Matthew. Rubrail is definitely a separate piece from the toe rail and is screwed directly into the hull. Estimates for repairs of the teak are $3000 - $4000 around Savannah. Sounds crazy but that's it. Gel coat repair is another story.

Your teak still looks way better than mine. What do you use?
Carpe Diem!

Martin H. Vancouver Island.
danhanlon

Post by danhanlon »

bgephart - Did you find a supplier for teak toe and rub rails. I had the same thing happen to my 1978 CD25 here in Chicago. I'm looking for a supplier? Did you try Robinhood in Maine?
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

danhanlon wrote:bgephart - Did you find a supplier for teak toe and rub rails. I had the same thing happen to my 1978 CD25 here in Chicago. I'm looking for a supplier? Did you try Robinhood in Maine?
I suggest you search the yellow pages or google "custom millwork" in your area. You can also speak to a local cabinetmaker and ask who provides his custom millwork. They all have the expertise to duplicate any mouldings or trim in whatever wood you desire. There is no need to pay the "yacht tax" in this case.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
danhanlon

Post by danhanlon »

Jim,
Thanks for the guidance. I'm having trouble finding the profiles for toe and rub rails. I thought I read somewhere they are in the owners manual. But I've scoured everything on CDSOA site and no luck. Any thoughts on where I might find them? I could just cut a cross section from the bits that used to be my rub and toe rails, but they are 39 years worn and sanded. It would be cool to have the proper specs.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

danhanlon wrote:Jim,
Thanks for the guidance. I'm having trouble finding the profiles for toe and rub rails. I thought I read somewhere they are in the owners manual. But I've scoured everything on CDSOA site and no luck. Any thoughts on where I might find them? I could just cut a cross section from the bits that used to be my rub and toe rails, but they are 39 years worn and sanded. It would be cool to have the proper specs.
Sorry, no. I'd cut a cross section. At least all of the trim would look original and the repair wouldn't stand out.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time