Cape Dory 36 help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

FredT

Cape Dory 36 help

Post by FredT »

Hello

This boat is legendary. I race on a friend's C&C 36. I have sailed an IP32 and owned a H34. This said, I am relatively novice compared to most of you. This said, I have read everything I can on this yacht. Many "reviews" are written by people who haven't been on one or those who "have heard" which is more dangerous than anything. I am used to sloops-what are the parameters for all three sails and when do you begin to reef? I really want to know everything regarding sailing it. This is really a beautiful craft. I am inches away from buying one. Just haven't been out on her yet and want to get other owners opinion.
My goal is single hand and sail away. I am 52 and learned one thing in that time-life is way too short.

I am in Norfolk, Va. If anyone would like to sail-I am always game.

Thank you
F't
John Ring

Re: Cape Dory 36 help

Post by John Ring »

Beautiful boats. Lot's of CD36 stuff on YouTube now if you do a search.

John
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

You might try searching owners' websites, too. John Stone, of The Far Reach, documented his refit - and now his sailing adventures. I have my own website and blog that might have some relevant information. Searching the archives here might provide some good information.

I suspect you'll hear from most CD36 owners that she's a fantastic boat - attractive, seakindly, well built. There are a few known issues, but I think they are fewer than other boats of similar vintage. Previous owners' efforts to maintain the boat matter a lot. A neglected boat is just that. Our CD36 has made us very happy; no regrets and nothing but pride and affection for her.
FredT

Post by FredT »

Thanks to both of you-I've seen all your videos on YouTube for Ariel and Tiara. They are both high quality productions. I will look for your referenced blog. I'm more seeking sailing parameters but have a feeling it will just take shaking it out.
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

Feel free to private message me. I bought hull #150 a year ago, and had a great season cruising and racing this year.

From my experience, you want to reef the main at 15 knots for a comfortable ride, double reef main at around 20 knots. If so, you are good to 30 knots upwind. I have a continuous line jib furler for a 125%, and roll that up in sort of 1/3's at 20 and 25 knots. I plan to get a single line furler, whihch is rated for reefing as the continuous line one is not. My staysail is not on a roller, so I douse that. Usually at 20 knots, unless I run the main and staysail and roll up the jib/genoa. That is the great thing about cd's; Everyone will tell you they offer a great variety of sail combinations.

On my last race this year, on 10/8/16, I kept everything up at 22- 25 knots for a wild ride, which only added about a 1/2 knot, and the rail was always either a few inches out or a few inches underwater. I did that because we were inside islands and relatively protected. In an offshore race in September, I double reefed main and used staysail and 1/3 jib for several hours in 24-27 knots and 4-5 seas. Totally safe and smooth. No pounding.

Someone posted a good rule of thumb recently: you should keep about 1 foot of freeboard for a comfortable ride.

Hope this helps. You should definitely go out with someone for a day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hi Fred
Though she has been significantly modified from the original, I am very happy with my CD 36 Far Reach.

I sailed her about 3500 nm last year of which about 3000 mm were offshore. I single handed her 1300 miles from St Maarten to NC last May. It turned about to be a breathtakingly beautiful voyage. The Far Reach was simply outstanding.

She is currently on the hard while I work on a few small projects but I'd be happy to try and answer any specific questions you might have.

Regards
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Fred
As discussed in the PM I'll respond in the thread.

Keep in mind, my boat also has a taller mast and a longer bowsprit (about 100 sq ft additional sail) than a stock CD 36. Thus, I reef sooner than you would on a standard boat.

In winds from 0 - 10 knots. I usually fly my 2 oz 140 percent drifter. Because I have a big fore triangle with the taller mast and longer bowsprit this is a very large sail. Just drifter and main unless I must point the boat above 60 degrees then I need to use the normal head sails. I usually have the main, jib, and staysail up and drawing from 10-15ish knots. I reef the main just as we get consistent white caps--about 15-17 knots. I might reduce my hank on genoa (I choose not to have a roller fueler) by unzipping the bonnet and making it a working jib. At that point, I am then under working jib, staysail and single reef main. Around 25 knots I'll normally drop the stays'l and sometimes go to a double reefed main and working jib. This is a great combo on my boat. At 30 knots it is stays'l and double reef main. Another excellent easy to handle combination. Around 35 knots and I am sailing under just the stays'l. About 40 knots and I am sailing only under Reefed stay sail and storm try's'.

This is just a guide. The sea state, proximity of land, daytime or night time, sailing with crew or single-handing, and point of sail all play into the decision. I typically sail a little under canvased, especially at night unless I have a reason to push.

I also have no propeller aperture so my boat handles a little different than a stock boat--it points higher, tacks quicker, and is faster in light air than a stock boat.

My boat sails best between 20-25 degrees of heel. It's most comfortable for the crew around 15-20 degrees. I suspect that is true for other CD 36s.

Reefing is (1) all about keeping the boat at a reasonable heel angle-20 degrees as a general rule, maybe 25 depending on the situation. Reaching in big seas we might see occasional 30-35 degree heels as big swells pass under the boat. And (2) keeping the helm balanced. The Far Reach normally sails with about 3 degrees of weather helm if I have the right set of sails up and she is reefed properly as the wind increases. I think that is perfect for the CD 36.

It's not a hard boat to sail, she is very forgiving) but it does take time sailing it in different conditions to learn what sail combinations work best on different points of sail. It's the learning that's fun. I always learn something new.