Bobstay upper T and Turnbuckle for CD30c

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lisa G.

Bobstay upper T and Turnbuckle for CD30c

Post by Lisa G. »

Greetings,

I need to replace the whole upper turnbuckle fitting on the bob stay. It appears like the existing turnbuckle is bronze. Didn't see these on Spartans web page. Has anyone changed the open turnbuckle to a closed body ? Anyone have a great source for them in bronze ( suspect the rest of the fitting will be in stainless ) or have people been replacing with all stainless? What have people been using and have been happy with ( Hayn, Stay Loc, Norseman, other ? ) ? Also does anyone have the spec's ( wire size, R or L, etc. ) ?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
Jim Walsh

Re: Bobstay upper T and Turnbuckle for CD30c

Post by Jim Walsh »

I can't provide a specific answer on the CD30 but the bobstay on the CD31 was provided by Navtech and they are still in business in Guilford, Ct..
http://www.navtecriggingsolutions.com/contact.html

Closed body turnbuckles lost favor because you can't see what's going on inside them. The open body turnbuckles leave little to the imagination and by simply loosening it a few turns you can easily fully inspect the threads.
As in many situations a photo would be very helpful for those wishing to provide their opinion of the best solution.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Get a hold of these guys. http://riggingonly.com/default.htm You might even be able to have a bob stay made up while you wait if you go to see them. You can ship or drop off your old rigging and they will mail your old and new rigging back to you in a very short time.

These folks know what they are doing and the service is excellent. Do a search on this board for more comments. They will address any questions you have about what fittings to use based on how you intend to use your boat. Fairhaven is a nice place to visit anyway, Steve.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Lisa G. wrote:Greetings,

I need to replace the whole upper turnbuckle fitting on the bob stay. It appears like the existing turnbuckle is bronze. Didn't see these on Spartans web page. Has anyone changed the open turnbuckle to a closed body ? Anyone have a great source for them in bronze ( suspect the rest of the fitting will be in stainless ) or have people been replacing with all stainless? What have people been using and have been happy with ( Hayn, Stay Loc, Norseman, other ? ) ? Also does anyone have the spec's ( wire size, R or L, etc. ) ?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
Lisa,

I went with Hayn bronze turnbuckles and Sta-Loc fittings during my recent re-rig of Ariel. I purchased the Hayn turnbuckles and all the SS wire from Rigging Only. They were great to deal with. Highly recommend them.

I have a decent collection of new Sta-Loc fittings that I'm trying to sell. If you decide to go with Sta-Loc (and I have the sizes you need) you won't find a better deal.

David
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Jim Walsh wrote:I can't provide a specific answer on the CD30 but the bobstay on the CD31 was provided by Navtech and they are still in business in Guilford, Ct..
http://www.navtecriggingsolutions.com/contact.html

Closed body turnbuckles lost favor because you can't see what's going on inside them. The open body turnbuckles leave little to the imagination and by simply loosening it a few turns you can easily fully inspect the threads.
As in many situations a photo would be very helpful for those wishing to provide their opinion of the best solution.
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

David van den Burgh wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
Lisa,

I went with Hayn bronze turnbuckles and Sta-Loc fittings during my recent re-rig of Ariel. I purchased the Hayn turnbuckles and all the SS wire from Rigging Only. They were great to deal with. Highly recommend them.

I have a decent collection of new Sta-Loc fittings that I'm trying to sell. If you decide to go with Sta-Loc (and I have the sizes you need) you won't find a better deal.

David
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Wish I had the pictures to back Jim up, as I did see a sistership with closed stainless turnbuckles and severe internal rot. the bottom thread had corroded and galled on the stud, and a few turns to loosen and adjust caused several on the boat to collapse in twizzler shaped pieces of trash. Best guess was that they were 15 years old.

Bronze turnbuckles on stainless fittings are a great choice. Unplated ones are usually available by request.

http://www.riggingandhardware.com/p-479 ... 0-x-6.aspx
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

David van den Burgh wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
Lisa,

David
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:Wish I had the pictures to back Jim up, as I did see a sistership with closed stainless turnbuckles and severe internal rot. the bottom thread had corroded and galled on the stud, and a few turns to loosen and adjust caused several on the boat to collapse in twizzler shaped pieces of trash. Best guess was that they were 15 years old.

Bronze turnbuckles on stainless fittings are a great choice. Unplated ones are usually available by request.

http://www.riggingandhardware.com/p-479 ... 0-x-6.aspx