Block for flag hoist on mast spreader

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Block for flag hoist on mast spreader

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have tried several times to ask "Mr. Google" to find me a replacement block for the block that is attached to the spreaders on the mast of S/V Bali Ha'i. Mr. Google repeatedly shows me deck blocks, snatch blocks, etc. None are close to the blocks on my spreader

The blocks on the spreader are used to raise various courtesy and club flags, etc. They are attached to the spreader with two screws. The plastic drum on both blocks (port and starboard) are broken and the blocks need to be replaced. Since the mast is down I thought this would be a good project even while the weather is still very warm in South Florida.

Can anyone point me to the proper name for this block and/or where I can find/purchase them :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Re: Block for flag hoist on mast spreader

Post by mgphl52 »

Found this link by googling for 'tiny pulley'...

And this link using 'micro 16mm block'...

Once you have a part number, google for the best price/location/convenience/whatever... :D
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Craig Curtis
Belmont Harbor, Chicago IL

Post by Craig Curtis »

Hi Robert,

Here's the whole kit for what I have installed. Not sure if you can get the blocks on their own.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/c-sherman ... it--491639

Best Regards,

Craig
Craig Curtis
1990 CD 40 "Coalescence"
Belmont Harbor
Chicago, IL
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Michael:

Thanks for the links. Question: What would be the best way to attach the blocks to the spreader :?: It does not look like they can be readily attached to a metal rod (i.e. a spreader).

Craig:

Thanks for WM link. I had looked at that and may end up buying "the kit". I was trying to save a few "boat units" and just buy the block since I have all the other "parts". If I can't find a suitable replacement block by itself I will buy the WM kit.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Roberto, one these should do what you need. No sense in buying stuff you don't need!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Michael:

Exactly :!: Thanks a million :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

Hi, Roberto:

In my former life, I installed flag halyards on over 200 new sailboats for dealers in Fort Lauderdale. For flag halyard mini-blocks, I used Schaefer Bullseye Fairleads, #78-51, instead of small blocks. These fairleads are small, black composition material, mount easily to the underside of a spreader. They are inexpensive ( less than $5) have no moving parts, are totally silent in the most violent of winds or seaways, and flag halyards raise and lower smoothly. Less is more.

KP
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

KP:

Thank you very much. That is certainly a simple, elegant solution and, at $5, within my limited budget :!: :)

In your experience, because there is no moving sheave, does the fairlead rub too much against the flag hoist line that is being pulled up/down against the inside of the fairlead :?:

I had been looking today at a Schaefer clamp on block used for Genoa furling lines:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=107467

At $44 it is above my budget. Sadly, it would be cheaper to just buy a complete kit as suggested by Craig C. The advantage of the Schaefer block is it can be attached to the spreader without holes and can be moved along the spreader (nearer mast; farther from mast) for an ideal spot so as to avoid contact with the Genoa, etc.

Thoughts by the board :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hey Roberto!
That 'clamp on' block is way too much over-kill for hoisting burgees, bras or undies...
That is designed for routing things like furler lines.
The simple Schaefer fairleads will surely solve your needs.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

Roberto:

No problem with chafe with the fairlead, as the inner edges are well chamfered.

kp
pjust

Post by pjust »

I'm also planning on adding a flag hoist to the spreader on my Typhoon as one of several off-season projects. I have a micro block I'm not using and was just going to seize it to the spreader with a bit of tarred marline. Add a cleat to the shroud and that should do it.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

mgphl52 wrote:Hey Roberto!
That 'clamp on' block is way too much over-kill for hoisting burgees, bras or undies...
That might depend on what size bra or undid Roberto is going to hoist and whether or not they are still occupied.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote:
mgphl52 wrote:Hey Roberto!
That might depend on what size bra or undid Roberto is going to hoist and whether or not they are still occupied.
Good point! Just figuredin his neck of the water, most such items were already shed... 8)
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Lisa G.

Post by Lisa G. »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I have tried several times to ask "Mr. Google" to find me a replacement block for the block that is attached to the spreaders on the mast of S/V Bali Ha'i. Mr. Google repeatedly shows me deck blocks, snatch blocks, etc. None are close to the blocks on my spreader

The blocks on the spreader are used to raise various courtesy and club flags, etc. They are attached to the spreader with two screws. The plastic drum on both blocks (port and starboard) are broken and the blocks need to be replaced. Since the mast is down I thought this would be a good project even while the weather is still very warm in South Florida.

Can anyone point me to the proper name for this block and/or where I can find/purchase them :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Lisa G,
Are you posting a message along with the quotes? All I see are the quotes themselves, I don't see any message.

Is anyone else seeing a message?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27