Chock Closure Pin

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Chock Closure Pin

Post by RMeigel »

Twelve years ago one of my chock closure pins pulled out and splashed in the drink. I had replacement(s) made by KATO Marine in Annapolis. They have stood the test of time well, but I have abused one of them by inserting it through a link of the chain anchor rode to hold that in place. A slight curvature resulted. I just ordered a replacement pin from KATO and they quoted a price of $169 plus tax. I am sharing my story in case others have need of replacement pins.

Robin Meigel
s/v "Pacem"
1979 CD 27
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Chock Closure Pin

Post by Jim Walsh »

That's a great tip for those in need but I must add that I'm shocked at the price for a piece of 5/16 SS rod. I can appreciate that there's a mandrel bend at one end and a pin inserted at the other but clearly the word "marine" must have added a premium.
I too am guilty of paying the "marine" tax :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

$169?! Is that correct? I'm going to add a lash of some sort to my pins tomorrow! I really think these could be made for a few dollars in material from McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#89325k92/=13uu7wp
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

I wonder what a whole new chock, with pin, would cost?

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

From a 2015 price list (aka: before the sale of Robinhood Marine) the C206 Locking Chock was $83.00.
The current site (http://www.robinhoodmarinecenter.com/spartanmarine/) still has parts but no price list.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Elbloch

Post by Elbloch »

I think I paid about $20 to have my local metal guy fab one.
Happy to facilitate new for anyone interested at cost plus postage.
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

looking at the original post i guess the chock is integral with a larger bronze bow plate, which doesn't seem to be an item Spartan sells? I only note this because I replaced both pins in the bow chocks on my 28 through spartan marine. I'm wondering if maybe the pins are the same size. Spartan also have pins for bow rollers that could work. I can't remember what I paid but it was about $30.

this is starting to feel like a punitive email chain about how not to spend $160. If that was in fact the cost, well, they look great and I'm sure the fit perfectly!
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Earlier this season I stopped at Robinhood / Spartan to pick up a sea cock wrench and a similar pin for my anchor roller. The original pin had a small ball pressed in the end. The guy at the parts counter didn't charge me for the pin. I think he was slightly embarrassed about the cost of the sea cock wrench. The new pin is drilled through at the end with a little nail that is driven through to hold it in place after it is put through the first opening. I think the wrench was about $40.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

The "small ball" that is on my locking chocks is a "screw nail" or "type U drive screw" according to McMaster-Carr.

Somewhere I have about 98 of them :wink: IIRC they were #2 and 1/4" long.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-screws/=13w6o2b
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

bottomscraper wrote:The "small ball" that is on my locking chocks is a "screw nail" or "type U drive screw" according to McMaster-Carr.

Somewhere I have about 98 of them :wink: IIRC they were #2 and 1/4" long.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-screws/=13w6o2b
That's what I've got. Never knew what they were called. Learn something new every day.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

a bit off topic Robin ... how do you handle your anchor just generally on your 27 without having a bow roller ?

Presumably you keep your chain "at ready" by putting the starboard chock pin through the last link on your chain (looks like that might be the case from your picture?)

Do you just stow you anchor in a locker and get it out as needed like I do ?

thanks

Fred
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Post by RMeigel »

My larger anchor is suspended from the pulpit (picture attached). I don't use this anchor (the "bomb") very often because my secondary, smaller anchor (the "lunch hook") is better for single handing. I keep this smaller Fortress (lighter weight) in the aft lazerette - 160 ft rode with 6 feet chain. I deploy this "lunch hook" over the stern from the cockpit. After it is set, I walk the bitter end to the bow and tie it off on a forward cleat. I use the larger, heaver "bomb" as a last resort when the smaller lighter one doesn't set to my satisfaction. There is greater piece of mind when I use the bomb, but it is heavy and awkward when it is time to weigh anchor. I have an anchor wash down pump plumbed inside my port cockpit locker where I'm typically hauling up the lunch hook. The water intake for this pump is plumbed off the galley sink drain seacock. I prefer to use the lunch hook because I'm near the tiller and engine controls throughout the anchoring process. This anchor washdown capability in the cockpit is also great for squirting other boats on a hot summer day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I recently was looking for someone to cast a replacement cover for my hawser hole. Dakota Lee has two covers and the starboard one was missing when I obtained the boat last year. I had tried a plastic bottle (blew off) and the bottom off a coffee can which I had painted white (rusted and left stains) before just strapping down a plastic baggie over the hole with a elastic strap.

Through this site I found a person who would do the rough casting for about $200 or so (I would be responsible for sanding down and doing the finishing work) which is not a bad cost for something that had to be individually made. I had however heard about a place called Bacons in Annapolis which I had been told was a must visit for someone living only about 50 miles away (Northern Virginia).

I got real lucky. Most of the covers they had were oval but they had one cover that also came with the lower body. Both had failing chrome but since my goal was a bronze product a little sandpaper and water (200, 600, 1000 and 1200 grit) along with about an hour of labor resulted in the product below. I was so happy I put 4 coats of clear coat on it and hence will have to finish the sister cover in the near future!

My advise is to check out any discount used sailing establishments you might have in your area or consider perhaps giving Bacons a call (I have no interest in the establishment in question). I was also able to pick up a repair kit for my gooseneck fitting (10 bucks) and a used replacement knob for my grill (5 bucks). Sure makes boat improvements a lot easier on the pocketbook. If interested I can check to see if they have a chock closure pin (picked up a spare gooseneck for 15 bucks but the threat was too small for my lines so I need to return it on Friday) this Friday when I go back to Bacons but will need details as to diameter as well as lengths.

V/r

Pete
Keith

Post by Keith »

Going back to the original topic. one of my pins got bent somehow and I was able to rotate it to find the high spot and simply bang on the high spot with a hammer until it was straight again. The rotation and hammering was done in the chock. I also lost the ball on the end a few years ago and was able to drive in a number 2 ss button head screw. Both fixes are still operational.

Keith
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Post by RMeigel »

The final invoice came in at $149.67 - lower than the estimate but higher than other fixes identified in this thread! The cost for two would not be much higher, I'm told, as the time associated with making two is about as much time as it takes to custom make one. The labor rate at KATO Marine is $110/hour.

The description per invoice:
Duplicate pin provided by customer
-bend 5/16" T316 round bar drill 3/32" hole
-cut 3/32 piece of welding rod as stop
-customer will press welding rod into place after pin is passed through plate in bow.