Remote start hookup for perkins 4108

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Peterson
Jubilee
Galesville, Md.

Remote start hookup for perkins 4108

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Having issues with wiring for engine start button on CD 36 with a Perkins 4108....sometimes works and sometimes dead. Rather than pullout all the wires, is it possible to use a remote start button clipped to the starter solenoid as an emergency get home option? If so, I am not clear on which clip goes to what part of solenoid? Assuming engine starts, do I need to leave clips on or can I pull them out? Thanks
mgphl52

Re: Remote start hookup for perkins 4108

Post by mgphl52 »

Before doing any of that... look for a flaky ground connection!
I'll bet a nickel to a donut that that's the problem...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I have installed a permanent start switch in the engine compartment not so much as a back-up, but to allow me to bleed fuel system solo. Same functionally that you want to do. The solenoid should have two wires connected to it. One is +12V to the switched side of your battery. The other wire is +12V applied through the start switch. On my boat, this wire is yellow/red. You should be able to follow the wires to confirm which is which. I believe the solenoid is grounded though the mechanical mount to the starter. So, you need a single pole, normally open momentary push button switch. Connect one side to your +12V battery (switched). The other side to the solenoid (yellow/red). To start, you would just need to have the battery switch on. You don't need to turn the ignition key switch on to start.

I would permanently mount the wiring to the solenoid. A clip can create an intermittent contact or easily fall off and potential create a short to ground.

I had similar intermittent problems with my starting circuit a few years back. I removed the instrument panel and cleaned up all the wire contacts (remove corrosion), tightened them and replaced the push button switch. No problems since. The push button is a Cole-Hersee M-490. It is pretty straight forward to replace in the instrument panel... probably less time than to wire an auxiliary switch/jumper.

I've attached a couple pdf files for schematics of the panel/engine wiring harness. If they don't appear, you can send me an email for them.

Doug
Doug Gibson
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

We had problems with the button on our Perkins, as did the previous owner. The previous owner had in a second start button installed inside the port cockpit locker. When we had problems I first I replaced with a switch just like the original, that didn't last even a season. We then replaced the push button with a Cole Hersee # M626 in 2005 and never had another problem. I believe the M626 is the same as the M490 except the M626 has a rubber cap to keep out moisture.

It was still working fine when we repowered last year with a Beta 38. I can't say I miss mister leaky at all.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

If I wanted to install a start button near the companionway on a CD30 (M18 Universal), I assume the wiring of the start button would be the same. Hmmm. I just remembered that I would also need to wire a second glow plug button as well.

Is it OK to start the engine with the ignition switch turned off?

I have often thought of how nice it would be to be able to start the engine to either charge the batteries or make hot water without having to leave the dry, warm cabin.

Thanks!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit