Whale Gusher hand pump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Petersen

Whale Gusher hand pump

Post by Petersen »

I need some info on my holding tank pump. I have a CD 25D. The hand pump indicates that its a "whale" ... "Gusher". I believe its fairly common pump on CD's, but I cant find anything exactly like it on the web or on the Whale Co, web page. Can anybody provide me with some info about where to find a replacement or fix it.
I have attached 2 photos (please note that they are sideways)
Thanks
Peter
CD 25D # 68 Aeolus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Re: Whale Gusher hand pump

Post by Jim Walsh »

Looks like the same handle on my Whale Gusher "Urchin" pump.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I believe that CD was using Whale Gusher 8's at that time for the 25D and the 27, maybe for others too. I don't think that Whale manufactures the Gusher 8 anymore but, parts kits are available from Defender.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

I do not see the Whale gusher 8 in the lineup any more, but the rest are still there. I bought the 10 which will be installed before the boat goes back in the water.
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The original posting mentions it is used as a holding tank pump. If a rebuild kit is not available and it becomes necessary to replace the pump you may want to consider the Whale Mark V sanitation pump. Every once in a while those items designed for a specific end use are actually best. :?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

CD 25D #184 had a Gusher 8. Bought the rebuild kit from Defender. Works perfectly now.

I you search for Gusher 8 on this board, you will see lots more info on ordering. I just forgot to copy the link!

Bly
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am curious. Was the overboard manual pump out an OEM option at time of mfg. or is it something that POs installed on the own :?: I looked at a lot of Cape Dory 25Ds and do not remember seeing a holding tank overboard manual pump. Bly, if memory serves (more and more "iffy" every day :( ) I think I actually looked at your Cape Dory 25D when it was for sale by a PO years ago in St. Augustine, Fl. Perhaps overboard manual pump out was there and it did not register with me. :? :?

On S/V Bali Ha'i (1982 Cape Dory 25D, hull no. 0069) there was no overboard manual pump out for the holding tank. I would not want one. My sailing waters are Biscayne Bay, Florida Keys. We want to keep them as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

The only manual pump on S/V Bali Ha'i is the bilge pump located next to the engine panel near the stern. I assume it is a Whale Gusher but I do not really know. :?
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yep, it's a Whale Gusher 8. I have the same setup on my 25D.

You can get a rebuild kit from Defender ... and they will also help make sure it's the right pump.

I don't ever use the Gusher attached to my holding tank, since most of my sailing waters are considered a no-discharge zone. But I do use the one mounted in the rear of the cockpit as a bailer.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

Thank you all for your input and info. This is the same pump for my stern bilge bailer too, but it is not accessible for a photo. I will speak to Whaler and Defender and probably will remove from holding tank, but will rebuild/replace for stern bilge bailing. As usual this board is a wealth of knowledge. Lets get those boats in!!
-- Peter
mathiasben

Post by mathiasben »

My cd27 has one of these Whale Gusher 8 mk3 pumps. What are the tricks to getting the rebuild kit installed? I've replaced all the parts that came in the kit and still unable to get the pump to draw water. Pretty sure I haven't gotten anything in backwards. The flaps were installed with the ridged side facing inward, along with the big diaphragm and o rings, it seems to draw air without any hoses attached but once the hose is attached and set in a bucket of water the pump doesn't seem able to make enough suction to draw water. Not sure what went wrong.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
mathiasben

Post by mathiasben »

That's the exact kit I purchased.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

mathiasben wrote:My cd27 has one of these Whale Gusher 8 mk3 pumps. What are the tricks to getting the rebuild kit installed? I've replaced all the parts that came in the kit and still unable to get the pump to draw water. Pretty sure I haven't gotten anything in backwards. The flaps were installed with the ridged side facing inward, along with the big diaphragm and o rings, it seems to draw air without any hoses attached but once the hose is attached and set in a bucket of water the pump doesn't seem able to make enough suction to draw water. Not sure what went wrong.
A small leak could be enough to keep the pump from getting primed yet still allow the pump to move air. I would check the pickup hose for a pinhole leak.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Try checking the hoses, especially from the input to the pump. Could be a clog or you may have too much 'head' or distance/height from input to pump to be able to prime it. If the hose is clear, try filling with water and pumping out while dropping the input end back to the bilge with water and see how it goes.

I generally do not have that issue with our Whale Gusher hand pump, but do with the electric pump. Previous post is correct, a leak can disable the suction to quite some degree.
Paul
CDSOA Member
RWilker
CD-28
Portsmouth, RI

Post by RWilker »

Are the metal parts of the pump in good shape? If the metal is corroded it can prevent the valves from sealing properly.