Main Sheet Traveler Stop-Need New One!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grluecke

Main Sheet Traveler Stop-Need New One!

Post by grluecke »

We took Ocean's Poem out yesterday morning, it was blowing pretty good, 15-20 knots, we threw in a double reef on the main, and were cruising along six-and-a-half knots on the right tack...

Downwind, we were running and jibing, and on one jibe something went "ploop" and my son and I saw the splash..."what was that?" Keys? No. Phone? No. Nothing seemed missing on the booms or on deck...

On the next jibe, however, we saw that the main traveler car was not attached to the rail, and was sucked up to the boom...

It turns out that the adjustable stop and the end cap were both gone, forever lost to Davy Jones's Locker...

So I need a new traveler stop. In a worst-case scenario, I can manufacture the end-cap. Hamilton Marine in Portland was closed by the time I got there last night, West Marine has re-organized their stuff, so they don't have any of this sort of tackle any more, and I still have some investigation to do.

If anyone knows the manufacturer for these, let me know. I'm hoping it will be standard enough to just by one, two if the match is very poor and they cost less that $10,000 each...I'll call Robin Hood, too, but any other suggestions?

I've included a photo, below. It was a little bit of a hard jibe, too much swing in the boom, but the real problem was that the rail attachment screws have a slight indentation, just enough to "click" the pin into, but not enough to hold against a higher load...

If you are ever having your rum-ration with us and wanted to see some fireworks, just mention to me that "..the captain needs to watch and be sure the main is pulled in before completing the jibe..." Or tell my son that "...when the captain shouts 'prepare to jibe', you'd better get scrambling and get that mainsheet pulled in." (no flames, please, I know who is responsible...)
MainSheetTravelerStop2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg and Jennifer
Oceans' Poem CD30K #245
Cundy's Harbor, ME

We hail out of Portland these days!
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Main Sheet Traveler Stop-Need New One!

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

grluecke wrote:We took Ocean's Poem out yesterday morning, it was blowing pretty good, 15-20 knots, we threw in a double reef on the main, and were cruising along six-and-a-half knots on the right tack...

Downwind, we were running and jibing, and on one jibe something went "ploop" and my son and I saw the splash..."what was that?" Keys? No. Phone? No. Nothing seemed missing on the booms or on deck...

On the next jibe, however, we saw that the main traveler car was not attached to the rail, and was sucked up to the boom...

It turns out that the adjustable stop and the end cap were both gone, forever lost to Davy Jones's Locker...

So I need a new traveler stop. In a worst-case scenario, I can manufacture the end-cap. Hamilton Marine in Portland was closed by the time I got there last night, West Marine has re-organized their stuff, so they don't have any of this sort of tackle any more, and I still have some investigation to do.

If anyone knows the manufacturer for these, let me know. I'm hoping it will be standard enough to just by one, two if the match is very poor and they cost less that $10,000 each...I'll call Robin Hood, too, but any other suggestions?

I've included a photo, below. It was a little bit of a hard jibe, too much swing in the boom, but the real problem was that the rail attachment screws have a slight indentation, just enough to "click" the pin into, but not enough to hold against a higher load...

If you are ever having your rum-ration with us and wanted to see some fireworks, just mention to me that "..the captain needs to watch and be sure the main is pulled in before completing the jibe..." Or tell my son that "...when the captain shouts 'prepare to jibe', you'd better get scrambling and get that mainsheet pulled in." (no flames, please, I know who is responsible...)
MainSheetTravelerStop2.jpg

Check out Rig-Rite. The below link may not be to the exact part--you have to identify your track section and then drill down to the parts page. Parts from this company are pretty expensive and "customer service" is not among their top 10 priorities, but, it's worth a try.

http://www.rigrite.com/Travellers/NF_Tr ... nd%20Stops
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Same thing happened to me. I ended up replacing it with a SS spring loaded adjustable car intended for a genoa track. It was the only thing I found hat fit my traveler track. $85.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Check Garhauer.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
John Foster

Post by John Foster »

Try used parts shops. I was able to buy a pair at one for my cd36, looks like the same part.
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Post by JimMc »

John Foster wrote:Try used parts shops. I was able to buy a pair at one for my cd36, looks like the same part.
This is what I did as well. Sifted through the giant parts bin and there it was! I paid $2 for it. Rig Rite wanted $98 at the time. It was worth the time spent sifting... because I found other cool stuff too!