backup Ruddle handle

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robryan

backup Ruddle handle

Post by robryan »

I bought a CD31 last fall, put it in the water this june. I noticed a about 4 inch bronze cover aft the steering wheel on the deck. I opened it and found it opened on top of the rudder. My guess is there is a handle made (maybe come with the boat) that allows steerable when the regular steering wheel is broke. Is this the case? Was a handle shipped with the boat when it was new? is one available.
Jim Walsh

Re: backup Ruddle handle

Post by Jim Walsh »

An emergency tiller came with the boats when new. They are very rudimentary mild steel affairs but work fine. I wouldn't think a replacement is available commercially but one could be knocked together by most any metal fabrication shop. If you can weld then you can fabricate your own. If a photograph would help I can post one in a few days.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
robryan

Post by robryan »

Jim:

you are on a trip in your boat. hope you are having fun. A picture would be great, but no hurry. I can weld so I can make one myself. Thanks for your reply even though you are sailing.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I have a couple pictures of the tiller from my 33'. I imagine the general idea is very similar on your 31. I took these for another member several years ago who had one made from stainless steel. Mine is a bit corroded and it is probably time for a coating of POR-15.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

When I had inspected my emergency tiller on my CD31, Danusia, I noted that the angle from the post to the tiller was such that the tiller interfered with the wheel. Bottom line was the wheel needs to be removed before the tiller can be used. Not a great setup for an emergency. However, I notice from your picture that yours seems to clear the wheel. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can modify my tiller to work as yours, or is this a design difference between the CD31 and the CD33? Would like to hear from other CD31 owners if their tiller is clear of the wheel or not?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I have one for my CD 30B also but have not pulled it out and tried it. Figure I will do so this weekend so I know if I need to remove my wheel. I also need to locate the tool for unscrewing the bronze cover...I assume its a spanner of some sort....have not seen one yet on the boat but will do a search (took 18 month to find a manual crank handle for my CD 28 Volvo Penta..its was in a dark recess under the icebox). Anyone have a photo of the special tool for removing the plate, so I know what I am looking for?

V/r

Pete
robryan

Post by robryan »

Jeff & Sara thanks for the pictures, seems from the comments that the 31 has a different one but the same idea. thanks for putting a measure tape in the photo very helpful.