Typhoon outboard motor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

kevindr

Typhoon outboard motor

Post by kevindr »

Can someone please suggest outboard motor that would fit well with the typhoon. HP, long or short shaft, etc ? Only to be used for a little kicker to get out of the harbor, therefore smaller the better.

thank you
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Typhoon outboard motor

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Kevin:

Check this website for some suggestions, including a Torqeedo and a Honda 2.3 hp air cooled.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... on#p189629

I had a Suzuki 6 hp on my Ty Weekender purchased by PO. It was too big most of the time. There was one time when it was almost not big enough. :roll: Depending on your sailing waters and sea conditions, etc. a small Honda 2 hp may be more than sufficient.

Whatever you decide on make sure it is the long shaft. With the motor mount on a Ty the outboard sits up high on the stern. You need a long shaft especially for those times when you are at the bow and the O/B is running.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

I'm running a 4hp merc. It is plenty of power but mine is a short shaft, (previous owner). You will defiantly want the long shaft...
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Michael_Typhoon

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

I use a 3 hp long shaft and it gives me plenty of push. I have a short shaft, too, but really comes out of the water too much especially if I have to go forward.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

That Torqueedo looks really, really nice, but there seem to be a good number of people who get by with an ordinary trolling motor:

http://capedory.org/board/search.php?ke ... mit=Search

That's what I have on my Typhoon, and although my experience so far is extremely limited--I've left and returned to the marina once--it worked just fine. I like how light it is, and it seems to move the boat decently, although definitely not rapidly.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I had an old Evinrude Sailmaster 4 HP long shaft on our old Typhoon. It served very well. I would consider how you use your boat. If you are usually in sheltered waters and only need to get in and out of a mooring field or slip you could go less HP but if you are out in a chop and have a longer distance to travel at times in higher wind and waves I would lean to the 5hp zone. I would not go higher. For the lower hp I would consider the Honda BF 2.3 air cooled, though it is somewhat loud, the Suzuki 2.5 4 stroke or the Torqueedo if going electric. Higher hp I would recommend a Honda BF 5 20" or similar used model with a long shaft.

Main thing in my mind is to consider what you will need it to do. Then get used to hanging it off the back of that lovely transom!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

Hi, I had a Mariner 4HP long shaft. Very reliable, even though it was a 2-stroke, long shaft, and it had forward and reverse gears -- definitely check, because reverse is useful docking and leaving a dock, and some outboards (I believe Tohatsu) don't have them. Also, as pointed out earlier, definitely a long shaft.

It's certainly an arguable point, but if there's a chance you might be out in heavy weather, imho you will want a 4hp at the very least, and a 6hp max. A friend of mine was out on his Ty with a trolling motor last year and was surprised by a squall line just when he was mooring. He came very close to a disasterous and dangerous wreck.

Hutch
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi,

I found that a 5 HP engine was very handy to use with my Ty. I live in an area where a river empties into my harbour. For safety reasons I use a larger engine. When the wind direction adds to the river current, a smaller motor just won't do the job. Fortunately, my larger engine came in handy when I had to tow another boat in reverse to save a boater who was being blown into the stone breakwall.

I use a Mercury 5 HP, 4 cycle engine. It is light enough to pick up and carry from my slip to my vehicle.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

You need a long shaft OB. And also consider whether to use the OEM bracket or get a bracket that raises and lowers the motor 6 inches or so. The depth of the prop is key to effective utilization of an ob on the Ty. There is an advantage to a good condition 2 cycle OB - they are lighter than the contemporary 4 cycle engines.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

My favorite outboard for Typhoons has always been a Britsh Seagull.
Yes, they can be cantankerous, but they are very light and easy to work on.
They also "look" more appropriate on a Typhoon than any other outboard (IMHO).
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Far and away the preferred outboard for Typhoon owners is the Long-shaft Honda 2hp or 2.3 hp air-cooled 4-stroke. It is dependable, light (28 lbs), easy to use and will handle anything up to the most severe currents and waves. It is perfect for getting in and out of crowded anchorages or narrow channels. It is also light enough to be removed fairly easily from the cockpit in order to be stowed below if so desired for theft prevention and aesthetics when not in use. I have owned several as dinghy outboards as well as on a Typhoon and they are the most trouble-free outboards that I have ever owned in 50 years of boating! their only drawback is lack of F-N-R, but that is easily gotten used to with judicious use of the 180 degree rotation of the entire engine for reverse, and the low-idle or kill-stop for approaching the dock or mooring. I have also owned Suzukis, Nissans and Tohatsu in the smaller hp sizes but never in their LS models so can't comment on their performances on a Typhoon...
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

mgphl52 I have a British Seagull they are great fun and look cool but mine does not allow for backing out of a dock... Good if you are at a morning though.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

All of my British Seagulls allowed you to rotate the tiller 180 and do "reverse"...
While somewhat cantankerous, I always liked the simplicity and the "look" especially on the bronze Spartan mount!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Alan is Correct you really can't beat the 2hp Honda's weight, ease of use and power. I motored 75 miles once on 2 gallons of gas.
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

I haD a 6 HP Suzuki that just went, and was wondering about the minimum HP I could get away with. Seeing the comments about the Honda 2.3 air-cooled, I am interested. I sail in Narragansett Bay, usually the nothern parts. I want the lightest and least costly, and the 2.3 seems like it might fit the bill....hoping for a few more that would say it will on most fronts be an OK motor before buying this weekend....I do not need to go fast, just need to get there. Am cautious about weather and watch carefully....