CD 31 Arrival

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Re: CD 31 Arrival

Post by Jim Walsh »

JAS wrote: Also, I have some concern about being trimmed down at bow with 35# anchor on sprit and 35' of chain in locker. Still exploring that one.
Don't bother trying to steer in reverse under power
Steering in reverse is tricky compared to fin keel and detached rudder designs. Prop walk can be your friend. Plan accordingly. Also, it takes some thrust to initiate momentum. Turn your rudder hard over and goose the throttle to get you started moving. You can then reduce RPM's and rudder angle to suit your needs.

Don't concern yourself too much with the weight of your ground tackle. I carry a bower and a kedge on the bowsprit. A 33lb. Spade with 92' of 5/16 BBB and 161ft. of 5/8" nylon to starboard, and a 25lb. Mantus with 20' of 5/16 BBB and 205' of 1/2" nylon on the port side.
If anything it has a positive effect since most boats tend to trim down at the stern. I'm my case I've got a Monitor windvane and an outboard which reside at the stern to counter some of the weight in the bow. I can attest that your 31 does not lack for reserve buoyancy in the bow. She will lift to seas which appear daunting initially.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Congrats Guy,

This board was only one reason I bought a larger Cape Dory. So many reasons, so little time. Enjoy and don't forget to actually sail!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Congrats, Guy! Maybe it's time for another Lake Michigan rendezvous. What do you say, Jerry? ;)
I wouldn't say no. But it would depend on when and where. My part time consulting job keeps thinking it's full time this year.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

I just checked the CDSOA database. There are 21 current and former members that list Lake Michigan as their primary sailing waters, there are 4 in Traverse City alone. A rendezvous would be great, but even better would be a Lake Michigan Fleet. The Association stands ready to help in getting a fleet started, but it takes someone in the area to initiate the action and assume the leadership. As anyone who is active in a local fleet can attest, the best part of owning a Cape Dory is getting to know and enjoy the company of our fellow Cape Dory sailors.

Steve Kuhar,
CDSOA Membership Chair
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

One of these days I'm going to get around to sending the CDSOA the leftover funds from the LMCDOA. If someone wants to start a Lake Michigan fleet, let me know soon before I send it off.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

Congrats on new to you CD 31. Been sailing mine 20 years now. Here' a recent pic, just re-varnished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

guy leslie wrote:I had to share my excitement with the arrival of my new (to me) CD 31 last Monday. Some of you may remember my post from last September regarding my search. I received many views and opinions from 31 owners that was greatly appreciated. David M. was so kind to check out one for me at Robinhood but it had sold. After seeing these boats sell before I could even see them, we flew to St. John N.B. in Feb. to look at s/v Gamblin'. Those of you in the NE may know this boat and its very nice former owner Phil S. I had it trucked to Traverse City and we splashed this past week. I have much to learn as I'm new to things like pressure water, wheel steering, cabin heater, radar, etc.,etc. I look forward to sailing her if this weather will ever break (hopefully this week will stay warmer). Look for my upcoming posts as I will no doubt need assistance with some matters. Thanks again to this board!
Guy
---------
Congratulations Guy, like the others are writing, you could not buy a more beautiful boat, and many of us smaller CD owners are jealous.
We will be up there on our summer RV trip in August, and one of my things is photographing CDs everywhere we travel. We will likely be walking the docs in several locations on Lake Michigan before going up to Lake Superior, at Duluth and Bayfield again, so we will likely be seeing yours too.
Best wishes
Bob C
Citrus Springs, FL
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Bob,

If you make it up to Bayfield, be sure to stop by Schooner Bay Marina north of there. We have seven or eight CD's in a small marina with good light for shooting photos.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Paul D. wrote:Bob,

If you make it up to Bayfield, be sure to stop by Schooner Bay Marina north of there. We have seven or eight CD's in a small marina with good light for shooting photos.
---
Thanks Paul, yes we saw a few there on our trip up to see my sister over in Superior, and took the local island tour boat out of Bayfield. I think we saw 3, but did not know there were so many more. Always beautiful, and one of our special places. We have camped out on the state park, do a lot of hiking photos, and know the area well. Never been on the water there in a sailboat but been going up there for 27 yrs. We do the same up on the north shore, another of my favorite places in the US along with Tahoe. We always enjoy your stories and photos. I did job one year up in Thunder Bay long ago, and you guys have it much better down south!
Best wishes
Bob C
Citrus Springs FL
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

I'm launching Sabrina tomorrow, so today I rowed out to put the mooring pendants on our mooring ball. Who do I find as our neighbor but Gamblin'!

Speaking of that mooring ball, it's #13: Do I need to enact any rites to ward off bad luck?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD_Sailor

Post by CD_Sailor »

guy leslie wrote:I had to share my excitement with the arrival of my new (to me) CD 31 last Monday ... Thanks again to this board!
Guy
On behalf of the many here who have been owned by sailing boats for several decades, I want to welcome you to the world of boat maintenance. My list this season runs to 10 pages and I am almost there (to my wife's unending exasperation and my equity portfolio's diminution).
guy leslie

Post by guy leslie »

Ben Miller wrote:I'm launching Sabrina tomorrow, so today I rowed out to put the mooring pendants on our mooring ball. Who do I find as our neighbor but Gamblin'!

Speaking of that mooring ball, it's #13: Do I need to enact any rites to ward off bad luck?
Ben,
So glad you're here! I didn't get to the boat today as I'm working on my CD 28 to sell. I'll be seeing you out there soon--and welcome to Elmwood Harbor! No worries about bad luck--safety in numbers with our increasing CD fleet!
Thanks for the great pic.
Guy
jerzyjoe

Post by jerzyjoe »

JAS wrote:Faults are few but watch for possible holding tank leak into bilge several old posts on repair. Cockpit sole coring may get wet from intrusion at emergency tiller access (I was told at purchase survey 7years ago and have never had evidence of de lamination). Gelcoat was put on pretty thick and tends to craze. All minor except holding tank, and all fixable.
Also, I have some concern about being trimmed down at bow with 35# anchor on sprit and 35' of chain in locker. Still exploring that one.
Don't bother trying to steer in reverse under power.

Once sailing she is a joy. I have kept staysail and enjoy ease of short tacking singlehanded. Replaced 135 Genoa with high cut Yankee (original sail plan) and no longer have to go forward to move headsail thru slot.

Loon is back in the water this week and I'm ready. I hope you enjoy your 31!
what is required to determine a leak from holding tank and fixing as required? Seems very serious.