Triad Trailer for Cape Dory 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Triad Trailer for Cape Dory 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have made a tentative decision on the Triad Trailer. The trailer will be used by me only for local travel on streets (no highway or turnpike travel by me). S/V Bali Ha'i will be hauled out on a travel lift and jack stands at a local marina. I will unstep the mast and prep it for transport, etc. on top of the coach roof, etc. I will hire a truck to take her home (about 28 miles). The trailer and S/V Bali Ha'i will stay at my home Jul - Oct. I will then hire the truck to take her back to the marina and use their travel lift to put S/V Bali Ha'i back in the water. I will then take the trailer back to my home Oct - Jun.

With the above travel here is what I have come up with:

1. 7,500 GVW "lift off" trailer

2. Surge brakes (drum)

3. Radial tires with spare

4. Front ladder with mast carrier

5. Two (2) tie down straps

6. Stabilizing jacks

There are a couple of other minor items that I have not included in the above.

I am trying to attach a photo from Triad Trailer. I spoke with them today and they said the photo is an accurate depiction of the trailer I am ordering.

Thoughts :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

You will have a very nice looking and capable rig. If you know anyone with a diesel dually 350/3500 pickup truck then you may not have to hire an unknown person. Most of us with duallys that tow big RV trailers, like our 18000# 40 ft fifth wheel, tow much higher weights regularly and our trucks are not stessed at all by such a small load. If I lived down there you would have a free tow as I would be more than happy to move it for you. Btw, you can likely count on near or over a 1000 tongue weight on the tow vehicle hitch, like my own boat trailer, so smaller pickups are usually not appropriate onless one had a really strong 3/4 ton with a heavy towing package, regardless of brakes and advertised combined GVW. They would also need a 10,000# rated ball hitch in the receiver. Heavy stuff.
There is a certain peace of mind once you know you can take your boat home with you for extended maintenance and projects, or take it out when necessary, to where you know it is safe(r). I hope one day to drag ours (just like a self contained RV!) around to some of the other CD club areas out of state and attend otehr cruising parties. Ours is currently parked in our RV shed with the 40 fter, in our fenced and locked back acre behind the house, out of the sun and rain, until I fiinish the major repairs and upgrades on my older CD25 project.
Best wishes
Bob C
Citrus Springs
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob:

Thanks.

One of my concerns is security. While I live in safe neighborhood I am not able to put the trailer and sailboat in the backyard - too much other "junk". :( She will be sitting in the driveway". I live in a safe neighborhood but last year we had a rash of car "break ins". Teenagers stealing whatever the owner left in the car. My next door neighbors are both active duty police with marked units that they park in their driveway. Different departments; different color units. Despite this their private vehicles were broken into :!: In my mind that takes a huge set of .............. :!: :!: :!:

I ordered a device that is supposed to be "fool proof" and prevent the trailer from being hitched up. We will see. I will also install some large signs that say "PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON"; "PROTECTED BY REMINGTON 870"; "TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT; SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT TWICE". I am unsure of the deterrent effect but ........ :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
RC James

Post by RC James »

Will there be any problems w/zoning rules or neighbors' attitudes about a large trailer in the driveway? :roll:

My neighbor just brought home a 40' motorhome, parked next door.
I would have hardly noticed, but it DID block my view of his 3 trucks and powerboat and johnboat....................

On the "DriveAway" fear, you'd probably hear the truck as it backed up your driveway, giving Mr.Remington advance notice!

A security camera (or 2) might not be a bad idea
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Bob,
Sorry for the delay - I've been away on a long-haul pick-up & delivery to Maine & back... Sorry (my bad), about the Charleston lead - (I thought they'd appreciate the business), but fear not - Magic Tilt makes a "Hake 32-9000" aluminum sailboat trailer for 29-31' boats that weighs less than 1000 lbs., so your smaller boat(s) would be no issue. You might also try Trailex in Ohio (the original aluminum boat trailer builders), or Road King in Ocala, EZ Loader, or Pacific... A little research goes a long way. Good luck!
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto et al,

Several people that I know securely block their boat trailer up and then remove all the wheels. Some store the wheels in their garage, some in their cellar. Others have rented units at a mini storage for tire storage as well as sails, PFDs, cushions etc

I empty my boat at the end of the season and leave nothing of value on board. If you prefer, don't lock the cabin hatch and no one will do damage to the hasp or hatch by breaking in. Don't forget about the battery. Where I live in upstate New York, we are subject to deep freezes so at storage time, all liquids are removed other than engine and tranny oil.

It's an optional thought. Maybe others have different thoughts on security.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ and all:

Thanks for the additional thoughts and suggestions.

In working through the process of ordering and buying a trailer I have a couple of "displacement" questions.

The owner's manual (and this website) list the displacement of a Cape Dory 25D as 5,120 lbs. Questions:

1. Does this displacement number include or exclude the Yanmar 1GM diesel :?:

2. Does this displacement number include or exclude batteries :?:

3. Does this displacement number include or exclude mast, boom, mainsail, Genoa, etc. :?:

4. Does this displacement number include or exclude diesel fuel in the tank :?:

My guess (and it is a guess) is that the Yanmar is included in the displacement value, the mast and boom are included and the batteries, mainsail and Genoa and fuel weights are NOT included.

I also read an article on line from Ted Brewer Yacht Design that stated:

"Most designers figure displacement when half loaded (the boat, not the designer) with stores, liquids and crew." http://www.tedbrewer.com/yachtdesign.html

This seems a little confusing to me - even though I am NOT "half loaded" :wink:

How do you calculate the weight of crew, supplies, etc. :?: It would seem to vary significantly depending on a variety of factors.

I am asking the above because I am trying to find a place to haul out S/V Bali Ha'i (my "go to" marina is closed) and I need to know what the upper weight limits are so I do not damage a travel lift, crane, etc. and/or my little S/V Bali Ha'i.

Thoughts :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
RC James

Post by RC James »

2006 haulout --- in the slings, the yard quoted 7500 lbs...... 1/2 tank of fuel, 1/2 tank of water, unknown holding tank quantity, all survival eqpt onboard, and personal eqpt (tools -many-, warm weather clothing), 2 extra anchors and 1 rode w/20' 5/8" chain.

I was a little surprised at the weight, but most lifts should accommodate.

I'd plan on 8,000#'s. I did give them a picture of the underbody taken from a previous haul-out, as I wanted to make sure that the forward sling was set back far enough to avoid any 'bow slippage'.

All went well, in spite of the nervous owner and confident crane operator.
RC
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In the continuing process of working through the process of arranging haul out, unstopping mast, towing to home, etc., one of the questions that has come up is the weight of the mast. In contacting a couple of local crane companies they are asking what the mast height and weight are. The mast height is 34'. I did not know the mast weight.

In researching Rig Rite, it looks like the mast for a CD 25D (Spartan Spar CD 3.5) is about 85 lbs. With spreaders, halyards, two winches, etc. added to the weight I am thinking the total weight is around 100 lbs.

Does anyone know a more accurate weight number for the mast on a Cape Dory 25D :?:

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

I can not imagine any reason why a crane company would care if it were 50 or 150#. It should make no difference to them. Most use a cherry picker to take them off with a slip loop up teh mast to the spreader for lifting after all the pins are pulled, and a tag line at the bottom to a ground man to keep it under control while lowering the mast. It is a very common job.
Let us know how they do the work, I am curious.
Best wishes.
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob:

Apparently, if I recall the conversation correctly, they wanted to know what size crane they would use because that would determine pricing. I told them it was a small sailboat and the mast was only about 35'. They did ask about weight and that's when I started the research.

I am surprised the mast only weights about 100 lbs. (assuming my research and math are accurate) although it is aluminum.

Anyways, now at least I can tell them the approximate weight and hopefully they will schedule a smaller crane that will cost me less.

The interesting thing is that I did not observe the unstopping of the mast in NJ in 2011 before transport to Miami. I did watch the stepping of the mast at the local marina in Miami but they have been doing it for years (especially the yard manager). It went smoothly with my rigger there to coordinate the shrouds, etc. Since 2011 I have never had occasion to again unstep the mast. This will be a first. Yea :!: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I cannot quote an exact weight, but I know that two 60+ year old men can lift the mast on a 27, although it would take four men to carry it any distance. I have to agree with Astronomertoo, it will make no difference to any crane that they bring.. At our harbor all masts are pulled at our Lifthouse with consists of a wood beam 35 feet in the air and a three part bock and tackle. If the mast is "heavy" we use an antique winch that helps somewhat. The biggest that I have been around for was a 70 footer. I don't think that mast weighed more than 300#.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

This will be an opportunity to have a professional rigger look at all the swages and attachments while it is down to see if you have any cracks or issues. It does happen.
Your mast section and wires are quite a bit different than our smaller kind of CD25s, and it is taller, so I can see it being heavier than ours. I do not take the job lightly of raising or lowering my own mast as I know if I slip and it starts coming down a single person would not be able to stop it. I am working on a system for mine to do it single handed, on the trailer, but it will be complicated. I would not want to do your longer mast that way.
How long before you receive your trailer? You know that picture you attached of a 25D on a Triad looks like it is hooked up to a Suburban, or equal. My old 1999 used to tow 10K easily.
BC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

Maybe I missed something. How is the mast stepped? Is it hinged on the cabin roof or is it keel stepped.

Wondering.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

The mast on S/V Bali Ha'i is NOT keel stepped. There is a bracket on the deck and the mast sits in the bracket secured with two (2) large pins. There are three (3) shrouds port and starboard and fore and aft stays.

Bob:

"This will be an opportunity to have a professional rigger look at all the swages and attachments while it is down to see if you have any cracks or issues."

I agree. I now just need to find a rigger willing to do the job of assisting with the unstepping. Coordinating the timing of a marina haul out, a crane to unstep the mast, a rigger, a trailer delivery, and a transfer from jack stands to trailer is NOT easy. This is especially true when they all apparently view the job as "small".

I am doing all of this because of "H season". It is not even 01 June and we already have a tropical storm. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.sh ... l#contents

Yes, I know, it is not coming this way. That is only because of the lack of a blocking high off the coast. Had that stayed in place a few more days we in South Florida would be getting TS winds and rain this weekend. :cry:

I wish everyone a Safe Memorial Day weekend. It's not really a day for burgers and dogs. It's a day to remember so many.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097