CD 31 Arrival

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

guy leslie

CD 31 Arrival

Post by guy leslie »

I had to share my excitement with the arrival of my new (to me) CD 31 last Monday. Some of you may remember my post from last September regarding my search. I received many views and opinions from 31 owners that was greatly appreciated. David M. was so kind to check out one for me at Robinhood but it had sold. After seeing these boats sell before I could even see them, we flew to St. John N.B. in Feb. to look at s/v Gamblin'. Those of you in the NE may know this boat and its very nice former owner Phil S. I had it trucked to Traverse City and we splashed this past week. I have much to learn as I'm new to things like pressure water, wheel steering, cabin heater, radar, etc.,etc. I look forward to sailing her if this weather will ever break (hopefully this week will stay warmer). Look for my upcoming posts as I will no doubt need assistance with some matters. Thanks again to this board!
Guy
Jim Cornwell

Re: CD 31 Arrival

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Welcome to the CD31 family! Fair winds! Jim.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Guy

I know too well what you are talking about concerning the weather. I live on one of the Great Lakes, Lake Ontario. The great sailing season is right around the corner.

I wish you the best with your new (to you) CD 31. Have a great sailing season.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Congratulations, Guy. This is a purchase you will always remember fondly. The 31 is a fine example of Alberg's Cape Dorys, with a comfortable beam and great balance. She is a solid sailer and will help build your confidence as you experience her forgiving nature and ease in the water. She can be set up easily for single handedness and, contrary to some here, I would recommend leaving her staysail boom in place for now. Plenty of time to rearrange her rigging once you two become more familiar.
My Danusia has launched after a terrific makeover by Tim Lackey and Jan Petersen, and we are planning on our first sail of the season tomorrow. Enjoy and post lots of pictures!
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Just wanted to say "congrats" on the new vessel, and mention that we might cross paths out on the bay this summer: I'm the new owner of a Typhoon, which I'm going to be mooring at Elmwood Township Marina (once I get some minor bottom work taken care of).
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Guy,
Congratulations! Hope to see you on the lake.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Yes, Jenn and I echo the congrats from the other owners.

Since we got our 31 in '13, we've sailed her up to the coast to Nova Scotia. She proved to be every bit as seaworthy and comfortable as we hoped. One of Alberg's best designs.

Good luck and happy sailing!

Jenn and Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
guy leslie

Post by guy leslie »

Thanks to everyone for the kind wishes! This board is very special and continually reflects the pride of CD owners and the special community that it is.
Ben, I'm on mooring #18 at Elmwood-you'll have to stop by. Nice to hear there's another Cape Dory on W. Bay. The Typhoon is what I learned to sail on.
Jerry, good to hear from you. I hope to one day cross the big lake and look you up!
David, I'm curious about the "makeover." You'll have to describe and include pictures. By the way, I've been meaning to comment on your good looking new crew member. He's got to become a good sailor esp. with his beer choice, Ha!
Jenn & Terry, I've read many of your posts and wish you continued smooth sailing.
And of course Jim and OJ-thanks for your thoughts as well.
Guy
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Guy, here's a link to Tim Lackey's photo journal of the work he did on Danusia this winter: http://www.lackeysailing.com/projects/danusia/.
He does a much better job of detailing the work than I would have done! Jan Petersen is my sailmaker at Bayview Rigging and Sails in Falmouth, ME. A new main with Dutchman flaking and a new 125 Genoa are waiting for a nice day for a maiden sail. Maybe today!

Bubba is still trying to figure out what all this water is about, but I'm hopeful he'll be a veteran boat dog by the end of the season.

"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

guy leslie wrote:I had to share my excitement with the arrival of my new (to me) CD 31 last Monday. Some of you may remember my post from last September regarding my search. I received many views and opinions from 31 owners that was greatly appreciated. David M. was so kind to check out one for me at Robinhood but it had sold. After seeing these boats sell before I could even see them, we flew to St. John N.B. in Feb. to look at s/v Gamblin'. Those of you in the NE may know this boat and its very nice former owner Phil S. I had it trucked to Traverse City and we splashed this past week. I have much to learn as I'm new to things like pressure water, wheel steering, cabin heater, radar, etc.,etc. I look forward to sailing her if this weather will ever break (hopefully this week will stay warmer). Look for my upcoming posts as I will no doubt need assistance with some matters. Thanks again to this board!
Guy
Congrats, Guy! Maybe it's time for another Lake Michigan rendezvous. What do you say, Jerry? ;)
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Guy, welcome to the CD 31 family.

I'm still learning my (almost) new to me CD 31 after almost a year.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

Welcome. It's a great boat!! I've had mine for a few years and am happy to share what I have found to be her wonders (many) and faults (several).
Jim Stevenson
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

JAS wrote:Welcome. It's a great boat!! I've had mine for a few years and am happy to share what I have found to be her wonders (many) and faults (several).
As a relatively new CD 31 owner I'd be interested to hear what you think are her faults.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
robryan

Post by robryan »

Congrats on your new boat. I just bought a 31 last sept. Just put it in the water May 5th in bayfield, WI. Will be taking it to Duluth for the summer. Just started sailing last year. started with a typhoon on a local lake around Minneapolis. Typhoon now for sale.

I hope to have fun, as I am sure you are learning to sail my new boat. I have heard many good things about the boat. so I am anxious to start sailing after June 6th. currently on vacation in Nova Scotia and northern Maine.

Have a great time this summer with your new boat.
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

Faults are few but watch for possible holding tank leak into bilge several old posts on repair. Cockpit sole coring may get wet from intrusion at emergency tiller access (I was told at purchase survey 7years ago and have never had evidence of de lamination). Gelcoat was put on pretty thick and tends to craze. All minor except holding tank, and all fixable.
Also, I have some concern about being trimmed down at bow with 35# anchor on sprit and 35' of chain in locker. Still exploring that one.
Don't bother trying to steer in reverse under power.

Once sailing she is a joy. I have kept staysail and enjoy ease of short tacking singlehanded. Replaced 135 Genoa with high cut Yankee (original sail plan) and no longer have to go forward to move headsail thru slot.

Loon is back in the water this week and I'm ready. I hope you enjoy your 31!
Jim Stevenson