Time Out for Yankee

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Cornwell

Time Out for Yankee

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Just days shy of removing Yankee's winter cover and starting the usual routine of pre-season chores in late March, I was the victim of a serious head-on crash at the hands of an erratic driver and sustained a bunch of injuries, including a shattered right wrist. No fun, but thankfully not fatal for me as it was for the other driver. After orthopedic surgery, a long convalescence stretches ahead. So no sailing or even minor boat maintenance work for me this year. None. Instead, a long lay-up for my ship, probably 16 months in total. Bummer!

What issues does such extended dry storage present? I'm expecting to give the boat an airing and perhaps renew the desiccant and mothballs she gets for every winter lay-up. I thought I'd ask my mechanic for his advice on the engine. Keep batteries on trickle charger in the basement? Pump out diesel fuel? Sanitize bilge? Haven't faced this one before, so any and all advice from the sages will be welcomed! Jim.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Time Out for Yankee

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Cornwell wrote:Just days shy of removing Yankee's winter cover and starting the usual routine of pre-season chores in late March, I was the victim of a serious head-on crash at the hands of an erratic driver and sustained a bunch of injuries, including a shattered right wrist. No fun, but thankfully not fatal for me as it was for the other driver. After orthopedic surgery, a long convalescence stretches ahead. So no sailing or even minor boat maintenance work for me this year. None. Instead, a long lay-up for my ship, probably 16 months in total. Bummer! Jim.
Jim:

Wow :!: My sincere sympathies to you and of course my condolences to the family of the deceased driver of the other vehicle. I have had a few close calls in various venues over the years. For me at least it provides (or renews) a very different perspective on life, family and friends.

I cannot really offer any helpful suggestions about caring for your Cape Dory during your convalescence. I am sure others will quickly post with recommendations.

Get well soon :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Jim Cornwell wrote:Just days shy of removing Yankee's winter cover and starting the usual routine of pre-season chores in late March, I was the victim of a serious head-on crash at the hands of an erratic driver and sustained a bunch of injuries, including a shattered right wrist. No fun, but thankfully not fatal for me as it was for the other driver. After orthopedic surgery, a long convalescence stretches ahead. So no sailing or even minor boat maintenance work for me this year. None. Instead, a long lay-up for my ship, probably 16 months in total. Bummer!

What issues does such extended dry storage present? I'm expecting to give the boat an airing and perhaps renew the desiccant and mothballs she gets for every winter lay-up. I thought I'd ask my mechanic for his advice on the engine. Keep batteries on trickle charger in the basement? Pump out diesel fuel? Sanitize bilge? Haven't faced this one before, so any and all advice from the sages will be welcomed! Jim.
Wow - best of luck on getting better!!

I would focus on keeping a charge on the batteries, either in or out of the boat as is allowable.

And making sure the diesel tank is full - Personally, I would not drain it. Ideally you want it full enough to reduce condensations, but not so full as to overflow when it heats up. Knowing that magical level is usually pure luck :) Make sure to put treatment in as well so that when some moisture gets in, algae will not grow.

[Edit] and do an oil and filter change.

It sounds like the water system is still winterized so no worries there.
Last edited by mashenden on May 17th, '16, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

So sorry to hear of this mishap, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery. See the thread below from the Cruiser's Forum regarding long term layup. I found the post by "Cheechako" to be particularly helpful.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55 ... 31051.html
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Jim,

Sad to hear of your accident but glad you are on the mend and will, if an extended experience, still recover fully. Good healing to you.

I stored Femme on the hard for two winters several years ago when my parents were in their last year of life. I did everything I normally do for winter storage with a few extra precautions
  • -Double checked the frame and shrink wrap and extra taped critical sections where a tear could let a lot of snow and water in, reinforced where I thought it would help
    -Refreshed the Bounce fabric sheets placed around the cabin to keep the critters out (Works great, trust me)
    -Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation. If you think you have just enough vents in the cover, add a couple more for our 33 I use 12 vents and for the extra storage added two up high on the shrink wrap, Leave several port lights open where you know the cover is sound
    -I second advice on filling the diesel tank to minimize condensation and of course adding Sta-bil.
    -Made sure that no vinyl articles were left in full contact with the deck - throw cushions, gear bags etc. That seemed to have some bad reaction with parts of the decks that required extra cleaning and even discoloration
    - Of course fogged the motor and antifreeze etc. pulled the water pump impeller (Normal winterization)
    -Ran messenger lines up the mast (if stored up) for all halyards and signal lines, not just main, jib and spinnaker
I think doing these things and checking once or twice for water in the bilge, smell, after storms etc should keep her in good shape. Femme was in great shape after her extended layup, if a bit dirty. Expect to put some time in for a thorough cleaning when she sees the day light again!

As for the mental maintenance, I needed to write a long "unbiased" review of the Cape Dory 33 over that year to stay sane. Also became addicted to sailing videos on You Tube. Still working on all that. The article is still not ready for prime time but the exercise served its purpose.

Good luck,
Paul
CDSOA Member
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Jim:

Sorry to hear about that unfortunate mishap.

I broke left forearm on a business trip in Russia in March 2014. Upon my return and attention by my favorite orthopedist, he asked me what my priority was as far as rehab. My immediate reply - launching Oryx and sailing!
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx