What size Rocna anchor is best for CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

riveredge

What size Rocna anchor is best for CD28

Post by riveredge »

I recently bought my CD28 and I'm thinking of replacing the CQR anchor with a Rocna. Looks like either the 22lb. or 33lb. would be right from the size charts I've seen. Does anyone have any hands on experience with either? Also has anyone tried or have any thoughts on the Rocna Vulcan?
Jim Walsh

Re: What size Rocna anchor is best for CD28

Post by Jim Walsh »

I tend to think of anchors as one of those things which could save your life. As such, I err on the side of caution when it comes to ground tackle. If you have only one anchor, go large. If you carry two (or more) you can have a bower (large main anchor) and a kedge (a smaller lunch hook) and use whichever is appropriate to the occasion.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

I've done a bit more research and I'm thinking the 27lb. Vulcan may be the way to go. I just have to look at my roller to see if it will work.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

riveredge wrote:I recently bought my CD28 and I'm thinking of replacing the CQR anchor with a Rocna. Looks like either the 22lb. or 33lb. would be right from the size charts I've seen. Does anyone have any hands on experience with either? Also has anyone tried or have any thoughts on the Rocna Vulcan?
---
I would be using a 22 on the CD28 to be conservative, but I do not own a 28. But I can wish.
Does anyone here know for sure if a Rocna of the same size as a Bruce will fit and recover equally well on a heavy Windline SS anchor roller? And I have not found a dealer with both products to put my hands on to fit them up. I can not find any reference to the preferred roller system best suited to a Rockna design, if different, and they are slightly different upper arms and curve. I used my Bruce 22 on a Windline BRM-3 on a 1981 27 ft Hunter for for 6 years all over east and south Florida and never had a bad time with it, in anything. I think a Rockna equivalent may be my next purchase, but sized for a smaller Windline anchor roller to fit my current CD25. I would like a recommendation for primary size also, and if I was buying a Bruce it would be the 16#, but for a Rockna perhaps the Rocna Original Galvanized Steel Anchor 13# would be appropriate? I feel sure 22# is too much for a CD25. I would appreciate the input on the CD25 anchor choices for cruising in various type bottoms. I already have several good Danforths and lots of chain.
thanks
Bob C
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Two thoughts:

1. Someone once told me that the standard "easy" rule for anchors is 1 lb. for every ft. boat length - minimum.

2. Someone else once told me "there is no such thing as too big an anchor". Install the biggest/heaviest anchor you can handle and that will fit on your sailboat - wherever you normally store you anchor.

I have no personal knowledge if either of the above is sound advise but they both sound reasonable to me - a rookie/tadpole sailor with less than limited experience.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

"Someone once told me that the standard "easy" rule for anchors is 1 lb. for every ft. boat length - minimum."

That would make for a mighty big Fortress and a rather small fisherman. Raven does carry a 35# CQR which is a bit heavier than recommended so it does work with some anchors.

You would be much better served by using the anchor size recommendations of various manufacturers for their specific anchors. Keep in mind, not only boat length and weight but also the amount of windage a boat might have as well as the worst conditions you might ever expect to find yourself in. Bottom types, the amount of chain you carry, size of waves, and how much your boat sails around at anchor are all going to effect things. Can you let out as much scope as you want in a crowded anchorage? These are some of the things to consider. Raven once had to ride out 50 knot winds while at anchor. It was not forecasted and I was miles away on shore when the thing blew through. There was nothing I could do at that point and I was thankful for the oversized tackle and the fact that I had anchored well. I lost a canvas awning but the boat was fine, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Can you let out as much scope as you want in a crowded anchorage? <<

Just a quick note... If you need to protect against shifts in wind or current, more scope also suggests you might be anchoring in deeper water. Plan accordingly.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carl Thunberg

CD25 has an outboard

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Oversized ground tackle may or may not be helpful if your outboard can't set the anchor properly. Bigger is not always better. You have to be able to set whatever anchor you choose with the power train you have. As Steve said, it's much better to go with the manufacturer's recommendation for boat size and anchor type. If the anchor is too big to be set, it's no better than a rock on a rope.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I would not attempt to row out the CQR with 90' of chain.

In addition to the 35# CQR Raven also carries a Danforth in a stern bracket with the rode in the cockpit locker. I have used this anchor when setting out an anchor at the bow and stern to keep from swinging. I would also use it if I needed to row it out to kedge off from a grounding. In these situations the one directional pull of the Danforth is at it's best as there is no need for resetting.

The third anchor is a huge Fortress that I keep broken down in the V berth. That is my storm anchor or emergency back up if I were to lose my CQR. If also has it's own rode, tied off to a second chain pipe on the fore deck.

While it would be nice to have two anchors at the ready in bow rollers, it seems like too much weight that far foreward for a CD-30.

Life is a compromise but I feel pretty comfortable with this one, Steve.
rorik

Post by rorik »

Rocna says a 22/27lb for a CD28 - both length and displacement.
I added 75' of 5/16" chain to mine, plus another 150' of 1/2" three strand.
I chose the 22 because I store the anchor on deck, rather than on a roller. After reading the information in the link below, I think what I added in chain/rope is more than sufficient.

The link below explains the physics regarding anchors,scope and static vs. dynamic forces:

http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode_b.htm
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Pembquist

Post by Pembquist »

I'm planning on upgrading my anchor to a Rocna and I own a CD 28 like the original post. This is what I am thinking: Rocna 10, 200' of 1/4 galv grade 40 chain, 200' 1/2" 3 strand. How does that sound?Is that much weight on the bowsprit and in the chain locker going to hurt trim? The Rocna sizing guide makes a big deal out of describing itself as being conservative and it says a Rocna 10 is sized for a 9 meter boat with a displacement of less than or equal to 5 metric tons that's 29 1/2 feet and 11023 lbs, the CD 28 is 28' and 9000 displacement. The anchor weighs 22 lb. Planning on buying a windline or lewmar anchor roller to stow the anchor, they aren't that light either.

I am not experienced would welcome opinions. Planning on sailing in the Puget sound to Gulf Islands, further north as experience accumulates.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If you're buying new rode, I would highly recommend going with an 8-plait over 3-strange. The plait line behaves wonderfully when being sent back in to the rode locker. 3-strand nylon usually requires someone in the v-berth make it cooperate...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
camroll

Post by camroll »

I have the 22 Rochna on my CD 28 with 80 feet of 5/16 chain and I have never had any trouble at all. With no windlass I still have to pull it up by hand so while bigger may be better you still have to get it on deck.
Russ
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Ok, I've been thinking or replacing my Danforth that came with my boat. I've used Danforths for years on the Chesapeake. However, after reading so many recommendations it has occurred to me that I ought to reconsider.

So, the big question is, what size should I get for a CD 27? I have seen recommendations to go one size up from the sizing charts. So, if there are other CD 27 owners that have Rocna anchors, I'd appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Steve I

Post by Steve I »

Rocnas Rock. Bigger is better. When the winds kicks up it will continue to set even better. Best anchor I've ever used.