Triad trailer for Cape Dory 25D

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Triad trailer for Cape Dory 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Does anyone know of a "gently used" Triad trailer specifically for a Cape Dory 25D in Florida or along the East coast that is available to buy (or rent for 4-5 months) :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
barfwinkle

Re: Triad trailer for Cape Dory 25D

Post by barfwinkle »

Sea Hunt I got one I'll rent you (with restrictions) just not for 4 or 5 months (more like load, move, & unload then return to Pensacola). I'd have to consider a fee. The trailer is in Pensacola.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bill:

Thanks. I am really looking for a Triad trailer that I can use to keep my CD 25D at the house during the current "H" season - until late Oct/early Nov. I normally keep it a local marina but I have been told they are basically on a "month to month" policy because they have been sold to a developer. There are some legal issues pending but the new marina owner could tell all of us to get out at any time.

I do appreciate your kind offer. Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Robert, do I understand from y our post that the Coconut Grove Sailing Club marina has been sold to developers? I can't believe this!
zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida:

No :!: No :!: No :!:

The marina is Grove Key Marina and Scotty's Landing. They have been sold.

The Coconut Grove Sailing Club is going strong. We are in the middle of installing a complete new mooring system. Once completed, our sailboats will be even closer to each other than then are now :!: Oh, yea :!: :roll: It has been suggested we may soon be able to jump from one sailboat to another to get back to the dock and not even have to request launch service. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Phiuuu!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
PLiberty

Post by PLiberty »

Did you find a trailer? I donated my Typhoon to the Palm Beach Sailing Club along with a Traid trailer. The last I heard they had done nothing with the boat. It was supposed to be used for teaching ASA 101 keel boat certifications. Try calling them?
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

PLiberty wrote:Did you find a trailer? I donated my Typhoon to the Palm Beach Sailing Club along with a Traid trailer. The last I heard they had done nothing with the boat. It was supposed to be used for teaching ASA 101 keel boat certifications. Try calling them?
Thank you. Once the storm passes I will call them next week.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I thought I would update this post rather than start a new one.

I am coming around to the idea that, at least for me, if I stay in South Florida (the "hurricane capitol of the world") it may be better for me to buy a Triad Trailer and haul out S/V Bali Ha'i in late June and then splash in early October. This will allow me to not have to scramble to secure her at a marina, haul out, or put her in mangroves, when a hurricane is headed this way.

To that end I post to ask if there are any special features or "add ons" that I should order from Triad - special brakes, ladder, special lighting, etc. Although I have yet to decide on a haul out marina (they are getting fewer and fewer for sailboats :!: :( ), it will probably be a 20-30 mile trip from the marina to the house (mostly, if not all, on streets - no expressway traffic).

Also, where is the best place to put the mast during transport :?: Most I have seen have been positioned on the coach/cabin roof with a brace at the stern and the other end of the mast resting on the bowsprit with overhang at both ends. I had thought of possibly securing the mast along the side of the trailer although I suspect the mast may be a little too long. Not sure.

Anyways, any suggestions on trailer add ons, features, storage, etc. will be much appreciated. I have never trailered anything in my life. It will be another new adventure. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

Roberto,
I have a nice heavy-duty Aluminum tandem axle trailer that is currently having all-new suspension components installed and will be "like new" when completed - it could easily be adapted to carry a CD 25, 25D, or even 26. It also could have a ladder mounted if desired - in other words all the features of a Triad for roughly half the cost of new and considerably less weight and with the added bonus of no corrosion issues! I will be coming to Miami in a week or so and might be able to deliver it - let me know if interested...
Alan
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Alan:

Thank you. If I knew anything about trailers and/or knew what to look for and what to want on a trailer I would consider your offer. However, since I know absolutely nothing about trailers I think it may be easier (but more $$) to purchase from Triad where I can get a trailer made specifically for a CD 25D.

While you are in Miami, if I can assist with anything please let me know. It would be my privilege to help a fellow "CDer". :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Alan Stewart

Post by Alan Stewart »

No problema amigo... comprende todo. FYI, trailers carrying more than 3000 lbs. require brakes in all states - the CD25 could "sneek by" without them perhaps as the weight is very close to 3000lbs., the maximum distance the trailer will be towed will also be a determining factor in selecting various specifications - one used only to haul to/from your home need not be highway/DOT rated in all aspects, at least many folks get by with such for short hauls. Leaf springs & brake components rust, torsion axles less so but cost more. Other options are whether to have bunk supports or adjustable screwjack "poppets" (more expensive but preferred). An extendable tongue is optional but makes use at medium to shallower boat ramps much easier. Hope this primer is helpful...